Guys Check This Out !: A Real MXF to QT Converter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Trustee

Guys Check This Out !: A Real MXF to QT Converter

Hi Friends:
I think this had to come sooner or later, and I'm happy to learn it has come sooner. This is a real MXF to QT converter ! OpenCube Technologies: XFConverter
I think this will come as useful for our workflow with the XDR. I assume it will work with the Nano as well.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Now, if only they could reveal cost and a method to buy!
Daniel Symmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Trustee

Cost & Method to Purchase

Hi Daniel:
I'm trying to work that out right now myself.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Calibrated-Q MXF import plugin for the Mac allows you to work with the native MXF files so no need to convert and the pricing is clear and simple. Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for OSX
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Daniel:
I'm trying to work that out right now myself.
I sent a note as well.

Always good to have options.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

In a few weeks, or less, our MXF files will be compatible with Sony's Optical Disk format.

Then, you can use Sony's FCP Plug-In, free, and use our MXF files in Final Cut Pro.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The Calibrated-Q MXF import plugin for the Mac allows you to work with the native MXF files so no need to convert and the pricing is clear and simple. Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for OSX
...Hi Alister. We don't always have the freedom to work in FCP.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

In a few weeks, or less, our MXF files will be compatible with Sony's Optical Disk format.

Then, you can use Sony's FCP Plug-In, free, and use our MXF files in Final Cut Pro.
...Hi Dan: Sometimes we need to unwrap from MXF to the extant codec contained inside so we can dump a QT or AVI file into our web encoder on the PC side. We can also create a project and do a video mix down in Avid MC then export as a QT Ref file into Sorensen Squeeze and encode this way, but this workflow takes up too much time and valuable disc space in our post workflow.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Like I said: choices.

For us poor outsiders choosing not to go FCP costs us in different ways.

There is yet to be a good solution for pro editing on the PC (using SDI monitoring).
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #10
Major Player

"There is yet to be a good solution for pro editing on the PC (using SDI monitoring). "

Perhaps Grass Valley Edius doesn't have the name that some of the other NLE's have but it certainly is a good program - and has this: HDSPARK Pro
and this : HDTHUNDER
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have EDIUS (software) JUST because ONE client has it and is STILL tearing his hair out.

We are a nation of choice, which I favor, but that also introduces the concept of a playing field that isn't level.

I have a 2K AJA system, working under Adobe products and Fusion. Great with pro formats. But throw in the still-evolving compression codecs and one waits for the next major release of software to catch up.

I've been working nearly exclusively with QuickTime (or DPX sequences) for over 10 years and that's fine.

Sadly, it doesn't work in this situation.

It just might turn out that I'll simply play out from the nanoFLASH and capture in a working version of QT. Then we can get back to film making.

Lastly, it strikes me as backward that I'm supposed to adapt to my hardware/software.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Mark, I have STARTLING news about your find.

They replied to my price request:

==========================================

XFConverter has been designed to run on a server to unwrap/rewrap files such as MXF, QT, AVI or GXF automatically thanks to an efficient watch folder process.

Prices start at 1 990,00 US Dollars and goes up to 4 590,00 US Dollars. It’s not the kind of product we would sell on a web store.

==========================================

I suggest it's something they don't sell!
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #13
Trustee

Quality versus Price

Hi Daniel:
Yup. These folks in France responded to me too, and the price quote made me laugh for about 20 minutes :-) They also sent me a free 30 day trial, so I'm installing it today and testing it out. I want to see what a "1 990,00 US Dollars and goes up to 4 590,00 US Dollars" looks like and operates like ;-) _Sort of a morbid curiosity at this point. Of course, people in Europe do *not* have a *consumer mentality,* where *price is King.* The folks in Europe have a *Quality mentality,* where they demand absolute quality and are willing to pay for it.
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I would say, mentality aside, that very few programs are worth $2K let alone more, when free (or comparatively so) are available or on the way.

Let us know your observations. Humor is a GOOD thing.
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Of course, people in Europe do *not* have a *consumer mentality,* where *price is King.* The folks in Europe have a *Quality mentality,* where they demand absolute quality and are willing to pay for it.
Then Explain Renault to me...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey