DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   35Mb/s long GOP MXF files getting corrupted. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/466971-35mb-s-long-gop-mxf-files-getting-corrupted.html)

Paul Steinberg November 2nd, 2009 05:53 AM

35Mb/s long GOP MXF files getting corrupted.

I am having a problem with 35Mb/s MXF long GOP files. When recording at that data rate the first file on a card is always corrupted, or I should say that it doesn’t display a thumbnail, won’t open in Sony MXF viewer or Adobe Premiere. On some of the other files the video plays back in on odd way, while playing a few seconds of video will speed up, then return to regular speed, then speed up again, then stay at regular speed.

All of this seems to go away if I bump the data rate up to 50Mb/s long GOP.

This is my configuration
Sony F900 camera @ 23.98Psf
Miranda DVC-800 (HDSDI output)
Nanoflash, 35Mb/s long GOP, PSF checked in/out, E-to-E checked, TC trigger, firmware 1.0.112
Cards: Sony 306x 16Gb part#NCFD16GP

I don’t think that the Sony cards are on your approved list but I’ve successfully recorded 220Mb/s I-frame files for a whole day without a lost frame or file.

I’d like to be able to record 35Mb/s files as they’re currently the only ones natively accepted by Adobe Premiere and I use Premiere to hack around with at home. Any suggestions?

Ron Little November 2nd, 2009 08:42 AM

This is what is stopping me from buying a Nano Flash . I use Premiere Pro CS3 and I am waiting for CS5 before I upgrade. I wish there was a converter that would change the 100 mb/s files to something Premiere could use.

Ron Little November 2nd, 2009 09:27 AM

Yea, I can hardly wait. You guys rock.

Mike Schell November 2nd, 2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1441655)
This is what is stopping me from buying a Nano Flash . I use Premiere Pro CS3 and I am waiting for CS5 before I upgrade. I wish there was a converter that would change the 100 mb/s files to something Premiere could use.

Hi Ron-
In the next 2 weeks, the Main Concept plugin for Abobe Premiere CS3 and CS4 should be released. Then you can playback and edit all the files from the nanoFlash. We'll post the info on this forum when it's ready.

Best-

Dan Keaton November 2nd, 2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg (Post 1441608)
I am having a problem with 35Mb/s MXF long GOP files. When recording at that data rate the first file on a card is always corrupted, or I should say that it doesn’t display a thumbnail, won’t open in Sony MXF viewer or Adobe Premiere. On some of the other files the video plays back in on odd way, while playing a few seconds of video will speed up, then return to regular speed, then speed up again, then stay at regular speed.

Cards: Sony 306x 16Gb part#NCFD16GP

I don’t think that the Sony cards are on your approved list but I’ve successfully recorded 220Mb/s I-frame files for a whole day without a lost frame or file.

Dear Paul,

Can you play back the 35 Mbps files in the nanoFlash?

Tommy Schell November 2nd, 2009 11:49 AM

Hi Paul,

Suppose you set the camera to non-drop frame timecode (if you're not doing this already) -
does that make any difference?

Tommy Schell

Steve Kalle November 2nd, 2009 09:17 PM

You can use Calibrated XD decoder in Premiere and AE CS4 (no CS3 for me to test), and its only $80 or so. This lets you edit QT files only as I have tried with MXF's from C-D's site and they were a no go.

Dan, I am not trying to be rude: but the C-D guys never ever mention the Calibrated XD software unless I or someone else brings it up. You would think that the C-D guys would suggest this decoder so more Premiere users like us wouldn't wait to buy the Nano or XDR. If another person here on dvinfo hadn't mentioned this decoder, I would not be planning to buy the Nano this month.

Paul Steinberg November 3rd, 2009 05:37 AM

Dan: I'm pretty sure it's the same but I'll confirm.

Tommy: My understanding is that when shooting 23.98/24Psf with this camera is that the timecode is always non-drop. 99% of all my work is at those frame rates so I never touch the DF/NDF switch. I'll try changing it and see if it does anything. Without changing any setting on the camera or HD-SDI adapter, all the files recorded at >50Mb/s in either long GOP or I-frame are all just fine. It's only when I drop to 35Mb/s.

Steve: WOW! Thanks for the tip. I looked at the Main Concept plugin but it's almost the same price as a Premiere upgrade. I was looking for a solution just recently to allow a director to screen the Nano files on a Mac that doesn't have FInal Cut installed on it. Can you see the embedded timecode when watching the QT's in the QT player?

Tommy/Dan: I'm on a job in Dallas right now but will confirm my answers when I get home to Toronto.

Dan Keaton November 3rd, 2009 07:43 AM

Dear Steve,

I mean no respect to Calibrated XD Decoder.

Personally, I do not have Adobe CS3 or CS4 installed at my office. We have it installed in our lab in Colorado Springs where most of testing is performed.

We also have the Calibrated XD Decoder installed in our lab.

Since I do not have a lot of personal experience with these, I do not always have them on the top of my mind.

Steve, it is my understanding that the Calibrated XD Decoder is a decoder only. I am assuming that you are rendering your timeline using another codec.

Steve Kalle November 3rd, 2009 01:08 PM

Thanks Dan. Didn't you mention that we would be surprised by the Mainconcept plug-in? If so, any more info available?

Paul: I don't know if it displays the timecode because I have only downloaded their trial version which blacks out a good part of the screen. Maybe Dan can help since they have the software installed.

Greg Booth November 3rd, 2009 01:24 PM

Hi Steve,

Being a QT codec, Calibrated{Q} XD Decode does not use or interpret timecode (this is true for all QT codecs.) Timecode is embedded in the QT Movie itself as a Timecode Track. I think (not 100% sure) - you need to have QT Player Pro to be able to 'see' the Timecode from the timecode track.

On the bottom left of QT Player (to the left of the slider) - you should be able to switch the timecode from: Standard, Timecode, or Frame Number. 'Timecode' will only show as on option if there is a Timecode track in the MOV and if you have QT Player Pro( like I stated before not 100% sure on needing QT Player Pro).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Dan Keaton November 3rd, 2009 01:32 PM

Dear Greg,

Thank you.

Please feel free to post/discuss the capabilities of your Calibrated{Q} XD Decoder.

Stuart Nicholls November 5th, 2009 12:55 PM

I'm a bit confused when I look at the Calibrated Software website with regards to the codecs and importers.

I may just be being dumb.

I have some Flash XDR files that are recorded in the QT format and I want to view them on my Windows PC without having to convert them on a MAC into MXF files. Can I install and use the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode to view them in QuickTime.... or do I also have to install the Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import for Windows or Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for Windows?

Or have I got totally the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers,

Stuart

Greg Booth November 5th, 2009 01:08 PM

HI,

For MOV files, you just need to installed Calibrated{Q} XD Decode.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Daniel Symmes November 5th, 2009 02:26 PM

Stuart -

Download the Calibrate codec and install it (demo mode). You'll see your QT play fine (although there's a huge noise band in the middle of the image while in demo mode).