nanoflash with converted analog input? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Lance - thanks. this is why I am giving some thought to whether this approach is practical for a battery powered application, at least for right now, for me. it's interesting that the power requirements of the converters cause more difficulty than the signal conversion itself (which I would not have expected), at least on paper.

The AJA HD10AVA has the most flexibility in terms of power requirements (5-18volts) however that unit also has a gigantic breakout cable to be dealt with, not to mention the large proprietary cable that the canon XHA1 uses to plug into the camera to provide component output. (at the time I could not justify the canon with the SDI outputs, and it was the canon I was after). This would be more manageable for events where I am recording from a tripod with a cart for audio, however for those same events I would also have AC mains power available so that point would be moot. (the hd10ava also has audio embedding which would be great, but it would be the icing with a difficult to power cake).

Also, the HD10AVA happens to be twice the cost of the blackmagic design unit, further complicating the picture (in addition to the ppower cabling and ptap distribution I would have to have).

So, while technically feasible, the work and cost are higher than other approaches.

I really like the nanoflash concept from all of the postings here, however it takes some more thought (and cost) for cameras without SDI. And, this is no fault of C-D in my opinion, it's a different market (which is also why I was asking them about the 19meg and 50 meg file sample files, whereas the current focus on the firmware and I'm sure the folks at C-D is on 280megs and pushing that side of the envelope, so less focus on having time (I assume) to post the lower bitrate samples, etc.).

I really like the flexibility of the unit in terms of bitrates, it's size of course, the frequency and focus of CD on continual firmware upgrades and product enhancements, their presence here on the board, and also that it's using an mpeg codec (vs. prores) as I am a vegas user on a PC (who would have thought about wanting to edit mpeg based material a few years ago .. not me anyway, but times change).

so, further thought and consideration on my part... other opinions / thoughts welcome!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

Our next release also adds an 18 Mbps 4:2:0 mode, which is designed for Proxy recording.

Yes, we have been slow to post lower bit-rate samples. We should do that.

We are working on a complete revamp of our website. It is long overdue.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #18
Major Player

Dan, no worries, I don't get to decide your priorities :-)
my interests are in the 18/19, 25 and 50 megbit range and I'm sure I would throw in a project or two at the 100 megbits but for me, for now, don't need 140/160, 220, etc. so, a slightly different use of your product I suspect.

that said, my bigger issues are power mgt for an analog to mini SDI converter in this application (rather than the bitrates, which I'm sure the encoder is doing nicely, did you say you use a sony encoder? my dvd recorder with a sony encoder does great at low bitrates so your chip should too), and to be honest, I don't know how many users you would have like that. my guess would be that most who are paying for your product, for the expensive CF cards, etc etc are also more likely to be using cameras with SDI.

so it may be more of a niche, not sure ...

thanks for all your support on this forum...
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Dave,

I believe that the Sony MPEG-2 does a great job at the low bit-rates. But, of course, the image quality can never be as good as the higher bit-rates (obvious!).

Our 35 Mbps and below are 4:2:0.

To me, the biggest concerns are:

1. How much of a quality loss you will experience since the digital signal has to be converted to analog in the camera for the component output, then converted back to digital to create HD-SDI. We know that there is a quality loss, we just do not know how much. A good quality Component to HD-SDI converter should be used for best quality.

2. While I have never had a problem with the component output cable that Canon supplies with the XL H1, and never a glitch, I worry about that cable if there is going to be much camera movement. This could turn out to be a non-issue, and you could easily test this with any component monitor or TV.

Overall, I would check into selling your existing camera, then purchasing one with HD-SDI. There are some great bargains out there at this time for good to great cameras with HD-SDI output. HD-SDI is great, since it is so clean, and the cables are secure and low cost.

I am assuming that you have the excellent XH A1, a great camera that has a high resale value. You could upgrade to an XL H1 if you could find a bargain. Of course, you may like the smaller size of the XH A1.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #20
Major Player

Dan, thanks. believe it or not I actually did give that some thought as well. Probably won't do it now, but I did give it some consideration already. I agree w/ you.
Dave Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey