DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   rails mount for flash xdr (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/467071-rails-mount-flash-xdr.html)

Deke Kincaid November 3rd, 2009 03:01 PM

rails mount for flash xdr

Are there any 3rd party mounts for 15mm rails for the Flash Xdr? I've searched BHphoto and around the web but no such luck. I am just using a hacked together one and would rather have a nicer setup.

I've tried sending emails and private msgs on the forum to the guys at Convergent Design about purchasing the ones they have posted pictures of in previous threads but have never received a reply.

Dan Keaton November 3rd, 2009 05:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Dear Deke,

Yes, we manufacture a 15 mm rails mount specifically for the Flash XDR.

I try hard to answer all of my emails

Please email me: dan at convergent-design dot com

Deke Kincaid November 3rd, 2009 05:32 PM

yea, that's the one I emailed you about. I'm sending another email now. Please check your junk mail folder in case my gmail address is going there.

Dan Keaton November 3rd, 2009 09:57 PM

Dear Deke,

I received your email and I replied.

Deke was right. I received an email from him on September 8th but failed to reply. I went back and found his original email.

Mark Job November 5th, 2009 03:17 PM

More Picture & Info About The Raills Mount Please

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1442373)
Dear Deke,

Yes, we manufacture a 15 mm rails mount specifically for the Flash XDR.

I try hard to answer all of my emails

Please email me: dan at convergent-design dot com

...Hi Dan: I'm interested in this setup as well. I particularily like the angle at which the XDR sits on those rails. I consider this to be a more user friendly position with the screen being easier to read. Could you post a few more images Dan ? Will this rail system work well with an XL H1 ?

Dan Keaton November 5th, 2009 05:12 PM

Dear Mark,

This rail mount for the XL H1 requires you to have rails out the back of your setup.

We have been working on a solution to this, but it is not ready yet.

Mark Job November 5th, 2009 09:10 PM

Interesting new XDR mount

Hi Dan:
Ok. Looks great so far. I see you are using the same style of mounting plate with a rear Anton Bauer mounting approach as you did with the standard XL H1 mount. Very nice and very solid looking. Keep us posted.

David Cherniack November 6th, 2009 07:44 AM

Dan, is there any chance of doing something like this for the Nano? With the option of a V-Mount as well as the AB?

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Dan Keaton November 6th, 2009 08:05 AM

Dear David,

The nanoFlash is so easy to mount, either with a Hotshoe Ball Mount, a 1/4" x 20 tripod screw, or a small piece of velcro, I doubt we would have much demand for this type of mount.

The Flash XDR mount is large, and sturdy enough for the Flash XDR. This exact mount would work for the nanoFlash, but is overkill.

For the Flash XDR, this mount is designed to hold both the Flash XDR, an Anton Bauer Gold Mount Adapter Plate, and an Anton Bauer Gold Mount battery, so it is very sturdy.

The nanoFlash weighs only .85 pounds, or 384 grams. And a very lightweight battery is all that is necessary to power the nanoFlash for hours.

We could build a custom mount for you, if you wish. Just send me an email and I can call you.

David Cherniack November 6th, 2009 08:26 AM

All very true, Dan, but for my next shoot I'm thinking of using an EX1R. All the suggested mounting options for the nF, with the possible exception of Alister's, don't thrill me too much. The films I'm doing will be mostly handheld and I'm not to keen on a top mount for the nF. I'm also not keen about holding 8 pounds in front of my chest for hours each day so I'm looking at either a shoulder mount rails system (that may block me off too much from the subjects I'll be filming with) or modifying the use of the Steadicam Merlin vest and arm into a handheld (rather than floating) support system. The question about the rails mount for the nF was asked about as a possible option.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Dan Keaton November 6th, 2009 08:39 AM

Dear David,

We will do our best to provide a solution.

Do you have rails out the back?

Please feel free to email me, then we can discuss a design that would be suitable to you.

David Cherniack November 6th, 2009 08:43 AM

Thanks. Once I decide on the best configuration I'll be in touch.

David
AllinOneFilms.com