DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Convergent Design Long GOP 100 Mbps in Avid Various Test Results (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/467709-convergent-design-long-gop-100-mbps-avid-various-test-results.html)

Mark Job November 13th, 2009 09:56 PM

Convergent Design Long GOP 100 Mbps in Avid Various Test Results

Hi Friends:
Here are the test results so far from importing a CD Long GOP MXF file in Avid Media Composer version 4/0/3 (Current Version).

Criteria Used to Evaluate Functionality:

* Video file must import, play in source Window, play on timeline and show in record (Program) window, be editable (Cut & Join & Add Transition), be able to color correct, and most importantly, be able to export out of NLE (Submitable to a Video Mixdown for long GOP).

Note: The Video Mixdown proceedure is something Avid is marshalled into designing and implimenting due to the limitations of Quicktime to process MPEG 2 which is Long GOP based media.

Test Results:

1. Import = Pass.
2. Play in Source Window = Partial pass with Avid buffer under run error warning - "Cache is too small to process media."
3. Editable = Pass with same buffer under run error dialogue.
4. Color Correct = Pass.
5. Long GOP Video Mixdown = Fail.
6. Export to various delivery sources = Fail.

,,,,,Quicktime Based Long GOP 100 Mbps media test results to follow.

Mark Job November 13th, 2009 10:21 PM

CD IMX Sony Disc XD CAM HD Test Results in AMC

Hi Friends:
These are the preliminary results based on importing and testing out Convergent Design's supplied IMX (Sony Disc XDCAM HD) Long GOP files. First test was with one of Tommy Schell's "New_XDCAM_100 Mbit.MXF" file.

Test Criterial : Same as above.

1. Import = Pass.
2. Play in Source Window = Fail.
3. Editable = Fail.
4. Color Correction = Fail.
5. Long GOP Video Mixdown = Fail.
6. Export to various delivery sources. = Fail.

Theory: It 's the data rate and not the headers. At this point I haven't enough data to make a conclusive statement about this. With the same buffer under run error dialogue cropping up however, this is a clue to what's going on in Avid.

Test Results for Long GOP Quicktime are fourth coming.

Bill Ward November 14th, 2009 11:32 AM

Mark:

Have you tried the same series of tests on AVID at 50mbs?

Mark Job November 14th, 2009 11:56 AM

Hi Bill:
No. Not yet, but since some cameras record at this data rate, I am assuming the 50 Mbps data rate works. If I have time, I will test it out this Afternoon.

Mark Job November 14th, 2009 12:02 PM

Test Results XDR Long GOP 100 Mbps Quicktime into Avid

Hi Friends:
Here are the tests results for the Long GOP 100 Mbps shot in my Flash XDR @ the Quicktime setting. You should be able to import any QT file into avid at any frame rate or codec and it should be fully functional.

1. Import = Pass.
2. Play in Source Window = Impressively fail ! Nothing but white with full audio playback.
3. Editable = Fail.
4. Color Correction = Fail.
5. Long Gop Video Mixdown = Fail.
6. Export to various delivery sources = Fail.

Sorry. No work around available.

Mark Job November 14th, 2009 01:26 PM

Sony XDCAM HD 50 Mbps CD Test File Results

Hi Friends:
Here's the XDCAM HD Disc based camera file 50 Mbps test results. EDIT:(Corrected title from erroneous IMX 50 label)

1. Import = Pass.
2. Play in Source Window = Pass.
3. Editable = Pass.
4. Color Correction = Pass.
5. Long GOP Video Mixdown = Pass.
6. Exportable to various delivery sources = Pass.

Conclusion: 50 Mbps Sony XDCAM HD 50 Mbps file by CD is fully compatible with Avid Media Composer 4.0.3. I will test more of these files to double and tripple check.

Dan Keaton November 14th, 2009 02:50 PM

Dear Mark,

I am confused by "IMX".

In the Flash XDR and nanoFlash, we have an option for IMX 50, for SD files.

For our HD files, we have "QT" (".MOV"), and ".MXF" files. But we do not use the term IMX for our HD MXF files.

Maybe there is something I am missing, or something that I do not understand.

Mark Job November 14th, 2009 10:26 PM

Possible Incorrect Labelling of Test !

Hi Dan:
I was referring to the files that come from and are compatible with the Sony Disc based XDCAM HD cameras. I thought these were called IMX type files. (??) Oops ! My bad ! I downloaded and tested files from the group supplied by Tommy Schell in this forum.

Respectfully

David Paul November 16th, 2009 06:06 AM

100mbps in Avid

Hi all, not sure if i get the thread or not..I shot a 4 month tv drama series at 100mbps/ long gop/ .mxf @ 1080/25p (cant remember what the firmware was but it was very early .mxf firmware...feb 2009 release)...edited in Avid no problems ....it appears this thread is saying one cant use the above spec's in Avid very well....perhaps I've read it wrong..regards

Mark Job November 16th, 2009 09:34 AM

Hi David:
That's exactly what this thread is saying. My tests are specific to Avid Media Composer, version 4.0.3. If you say you *can* edit Long GOP MXF @ 100 Mbps, then could you state what version of media composer you used. Perhaps you used another flavor of Avid NLE, such as an Avid Symphony or DS Nitris ??? Do tell.

Peter Moretti November 19th, 2009 05:51 AM

Are you saying that you can import 100 Long GOP into MC? Then is importing and transcoding to DNxHD inside Avid an option?

Mark Job November 19th, 2009 10:14 AM

Hi Peter:
You can import the Long GOP 100 Mbps CD files into Avid, but they will not playback in the Source window properly. You will see intermittent black screen with an error message in the lower Left of the screen indicating buffer overrun errors, or it will not play at all. You cannot get the Long GOP files to transcode properly either. Only very irregularily can you get the transcode to sometimes work. I would have to say no, transcoding to DNxHD inside Avid is *Not* an option. I am working on a possible workaround for this on my version of AMC (4.0.3), but unless I can get what I'm doing to work *every* time, then it's for not.

Dan Keaton November 20th, 2009 02:41 AM

Dear Friends,

Avid is working to correct these issues.

We have provided test files to them and have loaned them a nanoFlash for an extended period of time for them to create sample files for their testing.

We know that they are actively working on this. The right people, with the right talents are working on this.

Mark Job November 20th, 2009 09:21 AM

Hi Dan:
Good.