DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Raincover for NanoFlash? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/467995-raincover-nanoflash.html)

Dave Chalmers November 18th, 2009 05:28 PM

Raincover for NanoFlash?

Hi all,

We have a NanoFlash on the back of our EX3 (using an ST-7 adapter) and I'm thinking of getting the Kata Camera Glove for the EX3, but of course that would leave the NanoFlash exposed - anyone sourced a suitable 'jacket' for their NanoFlash?

Doesn't need to be waterproof - just splashproof would do.

All suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Paul Inglis November 19th, 2009 06:09 AM

From what I have read the nanoFLASH has been used in some pretty extreme environments and wonder if a cover is necessary. I think that so many access points would need to be incorporated into this design that it would actually defeat the intended purpose. Maybe a home brew waterproof sock-type cover would be the answer – easily removed to access the various points of the nanoFLASH.

Anthony McErlean November 19th, 2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Chalmers (Post 1449280)
Hi all,

We have a NanoFlash on the back of our EX3 (using an ST-7 adapter) and I'm thinking of getting the Kata Camera Glove for the EX3

Just out of curiosity, may i ask, what is the over all length of the camera including the ST-7 adapter.

Dave Chalmers November 19th, 2009 03:10 PM

Length of EX3/nano combo

Hi Anthony,
I'll try to check the exact length tomorrow, but it only just fits into a Kata CC197 bag which lists the internal length as 67cm.

This includes a Vocas matte box on the front.

It looks a bit odd on a wee tripod, but you get used to it pretty quick.

Dave

Dave Chalmers November 19th, 2009 03:12 PM

Raincover

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Inglis (Post 1449510)
From what I have read the nanoFLASH has been used in some pretty extreme environments and wonder if a cover is necessary. I think that so many access points would need to be incorporated into this design that it would actually defeat the intended purpose. Maybe a home brew waterproof sock-type cover would be the answer – easily removed to access the various points of the nanoFLASH.

Paul I guess in some applications it would be fine, especially for POV or minicam stuff where you can put it in a bag or something, but in our case it's exposed to the elements on the ST7 shoulder mount and all we need is some rain in one of the holes and it could cause some damage.

Dave

Anthony McErlean November 19th, 2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Chalmers (Post 1449739)
Hi Anthony,
I'll try to check the exact length tomorrow,

Thanks Dave, I'm half thinking of the ST-7 adapter. I would like something for the Ex3

Stephen Mick November 19th, 2009 04:29 PM

Low-Tech

After looking for a similar solution, I went a different route to protect my NanoFlash…

Ziploc baggies.

Dean Harrington November 19th, 2009 07:07 PM

yep ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Mick (Post 1449768)
After looking for a similar solution, I went a different route to protect my NanoFlash…

Ziploc baggies.

did the same here!

Dave Chalmers November 20th, 2009 01:38 AM

ST-7 adapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1449762)
Thanks Dave, I'm half thinking of the ST-7 adapter. I would like something for the Ex3

Well, I'm waiting to see what our users make of it. There's no question it's well made and does the job very effectively. We made a special bracket to mount the NanoFlash directly to the ST-7 battery plate, so it sits facing the operator.

It's also, however, a bit pricey and, when fully loaded with EX3, Matte box, ST-7, NanoFlash and V-Lok battery, a wee bit on the heavy side.
If you're coming from a DSR then it's fine - you'll know that heavy is good for shoulder stability etc.

If you're coming from a Z1, as some of our users will be, it's a bit of a shock!!

Let's see how they get on!!

Dave C

Dave Chalmers November 20th, 2009 01:42 AM

Ziplok bags

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Harrington (Post 1449820)
did the same here!

Ha Ha guys - very good. Hadn't thought of that one.

I'm a bit worried that the whole contraption (EX3, matte box, ST-7, Nano, V-mount) looks a bit makeshift already, so adding a ziplok on the back is REALLY going to tip it over the edge!!!

Still, necessity is the mother of invention, as they say.

Cheers

Dave C

Dan Keaton November 20th, 2009 02:31 AM

Dear Dave,

Unless you are going to be in direct sunlight for extended periods of time, a simple ziplock bag works great.

You can monitor the internal temperature of the nanoFlash via the menu.

But, this offers no protection from physical damage.

Anthony McErlean November 20th, 2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Chalmers (Post 1449937)
If you're coming from a DSR then it's fine - you'll know that heavy is good for shoulder stability etc.
Dave C

Dave, I came from the DSR390 and your right heavy, on the shoulder, is good for stability.

Rafael Amador November 21st, 2009 12:15 PM

I have adapted a kind of Tupperware.
The nano is protected but can breath and I can monitor the screen.
Rafael