DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Okay what am I doing wrong? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/468058-okay-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

Paul Inglis November 19th, 2009 06:03 PM

Okay what am I doing wrong?

I have just got my nanoflash. I’ve hooked up the power and it switches on. Put the HD-SDI to out on the PMW-EX3 and in on the nanoflash.

Got it set as Long GoP 100Mbps MXF recording the Extreme III 32GB the nanoflash is set to record 1080psf25 (the cam is HQ 1080/25p). Now hit record on the nanoflash and I get a little egg timer on the right hand-side of the record time. Hit record on the cam and it records to SxS (anyway to stop that?). Now I eject the CF card and load it straight into Vegas 8.0c and I just get red frames! Downloaded a sample from the CD website in MXF and that loads fine!

I’ve not got a HD-SDI monitor at the moment so can’t test the video in cam.

The PSP In is checked and the PSP out isn’t.

The nano firmware is 1.0.64. The source is SDI.

Any suggestions as I am pulling my hair out here and I don’t have much as it is :)

Lance Librandi November 19th, 2009 08:15 PM

Hi Paul,
On the NanoFlash main menu under the play option the Nano reports the incoming SDI format what is the video format displayed on you machine.

Lance Librandi November 19th, 2009 08:19 PM

Paul you may also want to check the EX3 SDI menu to ensure that the SDI option is set for HD and not in the off position.

Dave Stern November 19th, 2009 08:43 PM

Paul in my experience a red frame in vegas means there is a codec problem of some type (e.g. the codec for that frame is not installed or the frame is corrupt)

Jeff Silverman November 19th, 2009 09:22 PM

Paul,

I can not stress how important it is to use the current firmware 1.0.112. There are numerous serious bugs which were fixed since 1.0.64. I am not suggesting that your particular failure is due to .64 but it is likely you will have other problems if you don't upgrade.

Jeff

Dave Chalmers November 20th, 2009 01:29 AM

Camera will always record unless you use remote trigger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Inglis (Post 1449794)
Hit record on the cam and it records to SxS (anyway to stop that?).

Hi Paul, sorry you're having trouble. Just to answer this point, it is my understanding that the only way to avoid having to record to SxS is to use the remote trigger rather than the camera record and set the NanoFlash to start record on remote trigger.

We have had a cable made up that routes the remote trigger to a button next to the camera rec button and a tally light into the viewfinder.

The EX3 DOES have an 'EXT only' record trigger option, but as far as I can see this only works for recorders connected via firewire, not SDI, which is a shame.

It would be great if Sony sorted this - I'm interested to know if the PMW-350 has the same issue or not, as the extra cabling is a bit annoying.

Good luck.

Dave C

Paul Inglis November 20th, 2009 04:02 AM

Thanks for the help so far.

Hi Lance

The format displayed on the machine is;

1080sf25 100M 0058

Yes the SDI option is set to HD

Hi Dave

Thanks for the heads up. I can't play the mxf in anything that has been record via the nanoflash.

Hi Jeff

I have now upgraded the firmware yet still experiencing that same problem. Thanks for the tip though.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info about the remote.

I can’t seem to fathom out why the codec is getting corrupted? Anyone from CD with any advice? Or anyone with any other ideas, prepared to try everything, before sending it back to my supplier.

Many thanks,

Paul

Mike Schell November 20th, 2009 04:17 AM

Hi Paul-
Have you tried to playback the MXF files using the Sony XDCAM Viewer software? You can download here: https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...model=PDZ-VX10

Best-

Paul Inglis November 20th, 2009 04:30 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have and a message pops up saying:

Quote:

DirectShow does not have the correct filters to play this file
I’m starting to stress now as I have been trying to sort this out since yesterday afternoon. Can’t think of anything else to try.

Even the mpeg plays audio only and the QT files don’t work.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Inglis November 20th, 2009 07:23 AM

Okay downloaded the trial version of Vegas Pro 9.0c and still can't get the thing to work. Instead of RED frames its now WHITE.

Should that little egg timer be on the right-hand side of the recording format on the nanoflash? Also when recording is it only the top set of numbers that change?

Dan Keaton November 20th, 2009 07:28 AM

Dear Paul,

I have read and re-read this thread looking for clues.

The Facts:

SanDisk Extreme III
MXF Mode
100 Mbps Long-GOP
1080psf25.
1080sf25 100M 0058 reported on the nanoFlashes Status Line
PSF-In Checked, PSF-Out Unchecked.
Edited in Sony Vegas 8.0c

All of the above are normal, the 1080sf25 indicates that the nanoFlash is seeing 1080psf25, which indicates that your EX3 is putting out an HD-SDI signal.

The Sony Clip Viewer Version 2.30 should play this file as should Sony Vegas 8.0c.

Have you tranferred the footage to your computer's hard drive? Is it a fast internal hard drive, or are you using a USB hard drive? (This is should not be a problem generally, it is just that USB hard drives are slower).

I assume that you recorded in the nanoFlash by pressing the Record Button, and that you pressed the Stop Button to stop recording. (I only ask this since some think that pressing the Record Button again on the nanoFlash will stop recording.)

Did you wait for the recording to stop before removing the card(s)?

I recommend that you, for a simple test, setup your camera to record 1080i50 (or 1080i60) then record a 15 second test. Then check this file in Sony Vegas.

The error that you are receiving from the Sony Clip Viewer (2.30) is not normal.

I will send you a private message with my phone number.

Paul Inglis November 20th, 2009 07:37 AM

As I mentioned in my original post I haven't any means at this moment to connect HD-SDI or HDMI Output on the camera. However I am not get a video signal just audio on all Long GoP formats (MXF, QT, MPG). Any suggestions here guys?

HD is on in the SDI setting.

Paul Inglis November 20th, 2009 07:39 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply Dan. Yes everything you say is correct. Will try the interlaced now. Thanks!

Dan Keaton November 20th, 2009 07:46 AM

Dear Paul,

We look forward to your next test.

QT, 4:2:2 will not work in Sony Vegas.

Vegas supports MXF Long-GOP (and not I-Frame Only at this time.)

I would not use MPG for your testing, MXF would be best for your initial testing.

Paul Inglis November 20th, 2009 08:00 AM

For some reason I'm only getting audio no video. Tried 50i and 25p. Put on the timeline I just get audio.

SanDisk Extreme III
MXF Mode
100 Mbps Long-GOP
1080psf25.
1080sf25 100M 0058 reported on the nanoFlashes Status Line
PSF-In Checked, PSF-Out Unchecked.
Edited in Sony Vegas 8.0c and 9.0c

SanDisk Extreme III
MXF Mode
100 Mbps Long-GOP
1080i50.
1080i50 100M 0058 reported on the nanoFlashes Status Line