New nanoFlash / XDR Firmware Released at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Convergent Design

New nanoFlash / XDR Firmware Released

We (finally) posted the new nanoFlash and Flash XDR firmware. Sorry it took a bit longer than expected, but we ran across a number of unexpected bugs that we needed to fix.

Here's a quick summary of the release:
o Added 280 Mbit I-Frame only bit rate.
o Added Standard Def playback from the CF card out of nanoFlash (SDI output only).
o Added compatibility with XDCAM Optical Equipment (50 Mbit bit rate only).
o Added compatibility with Sony XDCAM Transfer (2.10.0 or better) software plug-in for Final Cut Pro (50 Mbit and above bit rates). This plug-in can convert .MXF files to .MOV (with Final Cut Pro installed or Calibrated Software's XD Decode plug-in installed), and can also preview clips and import into Final Cut Pro.
o Qualified more Compact Flash cards: SanDisk Extreme 32 Gbyte, SanDisk Extreme Pro 32/64 Gbyte, PhotoFast 533x 32/64 Gbyte. See updated user manual for complete list.
o *** Improved write and read performance to all Compact Flash cards.
o Added 18 Mbit 4:2:0 full raster proxy bit rate option.
o Added timecode jam sync via the LTC input.
o Added HDMI input color setting menu option, default is full (for camera sources) or legalized (for computer or game box video sources, for example).
o Added increased fast forward rate options: now 2x, 4x, or 6x. A progress bar on the lcd screen indicates selected speed. Maximum possible rates are dependent on card speeds and bit rate. Generally:
> to 50 Mbit bit rate: max rate = 6x (SanDisk Extreme 3: 4x)
> 100 Mbit: max rate = 4x (SanDisk Extreme, Extreme 3: 2x)
> 140 / 160 Mbit: max rate = 2x (SanDisk Extreme 3: 1x)
> 220 / 280 Mbit: 1x only
Fast forward beyond a tolerable rate can result in distortion, play may need to be re-started.

o Improved locking to Standard Def signals.
o Added 1080p24 true 24 frame rate for Quicktime recording.
o Added warning to lcd screen if input is lost (and subsequently recovered ) at any time during record. An “intermittent source” message will stay on screen til power is removed from nanoFlash.
o Changed “PSF In” and “PSF Out” menu descriptions to “Record PSF->Progressive” and “Play Progressive->PSF”, with the same functionality.
o Repaired audio problem in Sony Vegas with nanoFlash MXF files. Previously, audio channel 2 in MXF files would sometimes go awry within Vegas.
o Repaired intermittent audio/ video sync problem.
o Repaired intermittent bug when coming out of time lapse mode, which had the unit stuck in I-Frame recording mode.
o Repaired bit rate display during playback.
o Enabled max file size setting in time-lapse mode to range from 2% to 100%.
o Repaired time-lapse recording, in which previously an occasional frame would be dropped.
o Reduced stop time using remote tally to about 1 second (hold remote tally button at least 1 second during record to stop) .
o Removed latency in analog audio output.

Known issues (1.1.150) :
o No pulldown removal option from HDMI source.
o Standard def: audio, timecode out of sync by 2 or 3 frames.
o 3:2 pulldown not working from JVC 700.

Best Regards-
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Thanks. Just in time for my new Nanoflash. The CF1 (but not CF2) card eject process launches the card out a couple of feet when held sideways. I laughed.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

great job! can't wait to upgrade.
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Gints,

A little tenderness would be helpful here. (grin)

Just be gentle.
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Glad that I have my new nanoFLASH to test this new firmware :)
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Thanks. Just in time for my new Nanoflash. The CF1 (but not CF2) card eject process launches the card out a couple of feet when held sideways. I laughed.
Mine's a real projectile!
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I try to hold one hand in position to catch the card while pressing the eject button.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Lucy making toast.
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey Guys,
I am sure you all have tried SxS card changes just trying to get a hold of the card is a bit of a battle and hot swapping is even worse fancy putting the eject buttons side by side that's a real bad design. CD have thought this out better with the eject button that far apart the almost impossible to eject the wrong card. I like the way my NanFlash ejects cards it makes for very quick card changes.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Had my fingers crossed that XDCamHD interchangeability between flash card and BR Disc might mean Premiere CS3/CS4 accepting the 50Mb/s files...sadly the answer is no.
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
Had my fingers crossed that XDCamHD interchangeability between flash card and BR Disc might mean Premiere CS3/CS4 accepting the 50Mb/s files...sadly the answer is no.
Hi Paul-
If you get the Main Concept plugin for CS3/4 you can use all the bit-rates as well as Long-GOP/I-Frame modes with the nanoFlash or Flash XDR. As a nano/XDR owner, Main Concept has a special $199 price for this plugin.

The last page of the nanoFlash FAQs has the details.

Best-
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

I have just heard that Adode After Effects, in CS3 and CS4 (with all of the updates) will work with our files from version 1.0.112, with the MainConcept plug-in.

Also, MainConcept is expecting to release a free update to their plug-in to work with our new MXF files (in Sony Optical Disk format, as created by our latest release). This is due within two weeks.

Please note that the above is preliminary information. I received detailed information about this from MainConcept, but I had a few questions.
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hey Guys,
I am sure you all have tried SxS card changes just trying to get a hold of the card is a bit of a battle and hot swapping is even worse fancy putting the eject buttons side by side that's a real bad design. CD have thought this out better with the eject button that far apart the almost impossible to eject the wrong card. I like the way my NanFlash ejects cards it makes for very quick card changes.
I agree! Hot swapping on the EX-3 is a nightmare. I'm looking forward to it on the nanoFLASH. Great design and well thoughtout!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

One major advantage that the nanoFlash and Flash XDR has is that the units may be "off camera" for "Hot Swapping".

Thus, just a short to medium length HD-SDI or HDMI cable would allow the nanoFlash to be de-coupled from the camera so that one can "Hot Swap" without moving the camera at all.

We are working towards having "Hot Swapping" in our December release along with some other nice new features.

As always, we are sharing our plans and internal goals. Sometimes our development and testing takes longer than planned.
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Speaking of standard def...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post

o Repaired intermittent audio/ video sync problem.

Known issues (1.1.150) :
o Standard def: audio, timecode out of sync by 2 or 3 frames.

Best Regards-
Mike... a question about the standard def updates...

In the first excerpt above (from your list) you wrote that that intermittent audio/video sync problem was repaired. Was that for HD or SD or both?

I ask that because under "Known issues", you mention "Standard def: audio, timecode out of sync by 2 or 3 frames."

Does this mean that audio/video sync was repaired in hi-def, but that the remaining sync problem is audio in relation to time code or did you mean that audio and time code are out of sync to video in standard def?

Thanks!
Steve
Steve Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey