Cutting clips from CF cards for lossless playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Cutting clips from CF cards for lossless playback

I could not find the thread that talks about taking clips from the CF cards and cutting them with out loosing quality. The clips would be played back by HDMI from the Nano off the CF cards onto HDTV for presentation.

I have tried FC and Compressor but both reduce the bitrate to 50Mbps and I shot at 100Mbps and 220Mbps.
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Could you set up an Uncompressed Project?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

John I tried that and the files are huge and it will have to render to make that happen.

My goal is to run the clips in their native XDCAM 422 100Mbps codec. Than on a second card run the I-Frame clips.
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Paul,

I have been trying to find the post you mentioned. It is here somewhere.

If I remember correctly, just set up a ProRes timeline, drop your clips into the timeline.

If the clips are not modified, they will be output unchanged.

(I am doing this from memory)

Edit: Note: Aaron Newsome posted better advice, see Post #8, below.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; November 26th, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Dan,

Happy Thanksgiving

I do have to modify the clips by cutting them and doing a string of clips. No effects or text just straight clips. I will look into this more on Friday and post my findings.
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Tommy Schell posted a while back about a place for setting a FCP project that instructs it to handle footage natively except for clip modifications which will be handled as ProRes rendering.

But the same problem you are trying to overcome - output at only 50mbps will still occur.
When will the NLE's work correctly for output.

I wonder if Edius will properly output a full native quality MXF file. Not near my machine to try it.
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks John,

Yea I can do it with out a problem at XDCAM 422 50Mbps output. But this is a talk that will highlight the 422 100Mbps footage compared to the 420 35Mbps clips.
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Put the files on your FCP timeline, trim away the not wanted footage. Use Media Manager to create new clips at 100% quality, with junk removed, no re-compression.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Aaron I will give that a try thanks.

In the past I have only used Media Manager for Project Backup onto external Raid 1 drive. Good to know it also has this option.
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Aaron I figured it out. Using a XDCAM 422 timeline there is not compression. Then Media Manager out as Copy with only "Delete Unused Media from selected items" checked. Played at full res 220Mbps in my test from nano out HDMI. But it only played the full clip. Now to try the cut one.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; December 1st, 2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: how to
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Weird now it won't work. The Nano says 480p while playing and the clip won't run. The HDTV says no signal.

Still hunting for the problem.

See next post for answer to my problem.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; December 1st, 2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: refer to next post
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Inner Circle

OK I found a great method that has stunning results for mixed format and bit rate play back from the Nano HDMI out. Thanks Mike for you help on the phone.

1. First I import the Nano clips into FC from my RAID drive still in Nano native .MOV format.

2. I cut the clips as needed and drop them on a time line. The timeline is set to XDCAM 422 50Mbps. This makes all the files the same format since you can not mix bit rates and formats on the CF card for playback. My clips are different bit rates and formats. Some are Long GOP 100 & 140Mbps, and some are I-Frame 200Mbps.

3. Export a QT movie with only straight cuts.

4. Use the Convergent Designs File Converter to convert to .MXF.

5. This step was my problem in the last post that a call to Mike at CD solved. I still had the old manual on my computer, my bad. Make Non-Fragmented Copy of the files all cut together from the FC QT now a .MXF file to the CF card as one file.

Result: Plays perfectly and from looking at individual files at different bit rates compared to the files exported at 137Mbps (nice surprise) I can not tell the difference on a 40" HDTV being played off the Nano HDMI out.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM   #13
Inner Circle

One more interesting find I found today with this process when putting files on the CF cards.

When you make the Non-Fragmented Copy make sure you have your CF card installed prior to starting. I found that if you put the files to be copied in the left box of the Filer Converter and then install the CF card and pick the file on the card you will have playback problems. Having the CF card installed prior to opening the Files Converter I did not have a problem

I repeated this problem three times to make sure it was really the case.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Paul for all the work to find this workflow and then reporting the successful method.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi,

thanks for checking this. I will just add that during the file conversion, if the destination folder is a CF card volume, the conversion should be a non-fragmented write out to the card. This would eliminate the separate step of a non-fragmented copy to the card after conversion.
And then in this case one would want to follow the earlier mentioned tip of inserting the destination CF card before opening the converter.

Tommy Schell
Tommy Schell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey