A/V Sync Issue in Latest XDR/nano Firmware - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

We have fixed the jamsync issue that you were having with Canon 24F.

We expect to post a new release, with this fix included, this afternoon.
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #17
Trustee

Thank You Dan

Hi Dan:
Thank you for that info and all those fixes. :-)

Respectfully,
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #18
Major Player

Still scared of the new fix, with 24 hours of regression testing.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #19
Convergent Design

Corrected Firmware Posted

We just posted new XDR / nano firmware that corrects the A/V sync issues. We tested the sync for several hours without any problems.

The new firmware also adds pull-down removal over HDMI, corrects an analog audio input channel flip (L <-> R), adds 2:3:3:2 pulldown cadence, and corrects the LTC Jam sync for 24p formats.

The new firmware version is 1.1.154 for the nanoFlash and 1.1.151 for the XDR.

Best-
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Trustee

Wow ! Lots of Fixes !

Hi Mike:
There's many fixes in such a short notice. Congratulations and thanks for this correction. The Nano & XDR took another step forward today.

Thank You.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #21
Major Player

I won't be on the bleeding edge with this firmware. We may need the jam sync on the shoot we start Monday but I'm going to convince them to sync the old fashioned way.
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #22
Trustee

Which Jam Sync ?

Hi Aaron:
If you are Jam Syncing to 59.94 i then don't worry, it is OK. If 24 p, then there is some pause for concern. However, I didn't do any testing with 24p - my testing was done with Canon's 24 F camera setting and using 3:2 pull down removal to achieve 23.98 fps on the XDR. I have no idea what 24p will do in Jam Sync since there's no 3:2 cadence to remove. Yes, I get your concern to not want to be experimental with a paying job until CD has got it right. (But they may not have 24p Jam Sync wrong to be fair) Why not try a test and see how Jam Sync is functioning with your camera ?
Old December 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Mark, I don't own any cameras that send out a sync signal so I have nothing to test against. If I were to sync at this job, I'd be syncing the XDR with the sound guys recorder and I'm not sure what capabilities he has on his recorder. We'll uncover that in the last production meeting before we start shooting. It's a single camera shoot so I don't worry about syncing with other cameras, just the sound guy so that post is easier.

We're recording scratch audio on the XDR in either case though so I don't imagine post will be too difficult.
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #24
Regular Crew

accidents happen. always be careful before upgrading any firmware. I always run a backup recording with the sony sxs cards. glad I did. Just did a job for ESPN and I noticed the sync issues. always good to have a backup.
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
Hi Mark, I don't own any cameras that send out a sync signal so I have nothing to test against. If I were to sync at this job, I'd be syncing the XDR with the sound guys recorder and I'm not sure what capabilities he has on his recorder. We'll uncover that in the last production meeting before we start shooting. It's a single camera shoot so I don't worry about syncing with other cameras, just the sound guy so that post is easier.

We're recording scratch audio on the XDR in either case though so I don't imagine post will be too difficult.
...Hi Aaron: As long as the sound guy makes sure you and he are on the same TC reference (Not 24 F Right now !), then all should be well.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #26
Major Player

Hello to the CD Team,
Well done on a prompt fix to the audio sync problem your efforts a much appreciated. I have just complete three, three hour recording sessions with the NanoFlash in SD mode with the prerecord buffer on and the lip sync looks great. ( Problem solved)
I have compared the audio from parallel recordings to tape and a direct recording to hard disk via the Black Magic HD Extreme 3 card. I am unable to pick any loss of any frames.
Cheers
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #27
Convergent Design

Hi Lance-
Appreciate the feedback. We now have long term A/V sync as part of our standard barrage of tests prior to each release. It's almost taking longer to test the code than to develop it.

Best-
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #28
Major Player

late but still good...

Hi Mike,
I was in Toronto when I got the email from Tommy about the audio problem with .150 firmware one day to late.... The material I shot on set of "Cra$h & Burn" has that audio problem, but, the good news is, the audio will be used as a commentary over any of the picture material as it has been meant that way, no sync need it... Isn't that a nice coincidence?! Thank you for the fix. I posted a test result of .154 HDMI pull-down firmware on 2:3:3:2 tread if interested.
Cheers
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #29
Convergent Design

Hi Luben-
Glad our mistake did not cause any real problems with your shoot. We are moving to a beta program on all future releases. We will post new code a week to two before formal release with a stern warning not to use this firmware for production use. We only hope enough users will in fact test the beta code and provide feedback with any problems/issues.

Best-
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Luben-
Glad our mistake did not cause any real problems with your shoot. We are moving to a beta program on all future releases. We will post new code a week to two before formal release with a stern warning not to use this firmware for production use. We only hope enough users will in fact test the beta code and provide feedback with any problems/issues.

Best-
Sounds like a decent idea. RED camera became stars of digital cinema by turning their entire user base into beta testers.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey