Recording from Bluray Player to Nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording from Bluray Player to Nanoflash

Hi,

I own a Nano Flash and was wondering if it is possible to record HD Material played from a Bluray Disc - Player threw HDMI Input.

Because I received some HD Material from a Client on Bluray, which i have to use in a HD project. I had nothing to do with Bluray so far and i thought. Lets go and buy a player and connect it to the Nanoflash.

But the guys at the Electronic Store said there is some scrambling protection going on and it wont be possible to record the signal?!? They wont let me try the Nanoflash out in the Store because its illegal?!? They said something about EU Law. Well, they lost one customer here.

But question still remains. Is it possible to record on the Nanoflash hover HDMI with a conventional Bluray Player? The Content on the Disc is probably not Copyright protected because Rights are with my client. I could ask for the source Material but this would be a littlebit embarassing.

So what do you think?

cheers
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Convergent Design

Blu-Ray Recording not Allowed

Hi Philipp-
Every Blu-Ray player we have tested has HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) tuned on, ill regardless whether the disk is protected or not. The nanoFlash does not have HDCP support and will not accept a protected (scrambled) HDMI source.

The short answer is this will not work.

Best-
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

ok.. thanks for the quick reply..
i will look into other ways.. would you recommend one?
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Major Player

One of the pillar of all these new technology is strong anti-piracy support.
I don't think will be an easy (and cheap) task to overrun the protection.
Probably there is (or will be) a way to copy BR by software, but copy it in RT, I guess that you will need even some tweaked hardware.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Philipp,

By law, manufacturers are prevented from building devices that record protected content, such as recording the audio and video from an HDCP protected Blu-ray.

I recommend that the best way would be to ask your client to provide the content via another media, and ensure that it was not HDCP protected. If they own the content, this should be easy. For example, they could transfer the content to a portable hard drive, or even a CompactFlash card.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah.. Probably this is the best way.. to get the Material on Harddisk..

although i found a few rippers out there like Pavtube.. I will go the easiest way on this one.. Thanks again for the quick reply..
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Philipp,

Having the original source delivered to you on a hard drive or CompactFlash card may be best for other reasons also.

Blue-ray is 4:2:0. Depending on how the original footage was recorded, it may be 4:2:2 and may be at a higher bit-rate. In other words, it may be higher quality.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; December 7th, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Major Player

I for one would very much prefer the files to be put on either on a hard drive or compact flash card like Dan says, than even consider ripping it. That would cause you a few additional headaches and loss of quality!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Did your client author the Blu-Ray disc or simply place the footage on it as data files? I use Blu-ray as a backup medium for my NanoFlash and XDCAM material. The files are simply burned onto the disc as data files so any computer with a Blu-ray drive or even a low cost external USB Blu-ray rom drive can read the discs without any copy protection issues.
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi,

sorry for not looking into this Thread for a while...

Well.. we had Holidays here in Austria, the company ( ORF ) or better the Person who is responsible for the Project was not available and I had a pretty tight Deadline anyway so i decided to rip the Disc.

You are of course right about Qualityloss and it hurts a little bit but sometimes you have to make comprimises. And the Endproduct also doesnt look to bad.

Also one thing i discovered. Its near to impossible to rip a protected Bluray on a Mac. Pavtube Ripper. Didnt work. 35 Euros for nothing. I used AnyDvd HD on my rusting old PC to rip the Disc. Worked like a charm.

thanks for the help,

phil
Old December 13th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I second what Alister said: if your Client is simply using BD to convey his clips to you (as opposed to producing his own Bluray movies, which should be protected against copying) - instead of buying an expensive BD stand-alone player just use a cheap BD computer drive, and copy the clips as any other data files.

If you do need AnyDVD HD for this, it means you client has protected his contents on purpose.

Even if the content you're getting is indeed in the BD movie format - have you tried to navigate into the STREAM folder, and tried to copy the m2ts files from there onto your PC (assuming of course you do have a PC/Mac BD drive)?
Old December 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

It was copyprotected.. A Massproduced Bluraydisc.. The client just didnt know better..
For him it was the easiest way to just give this Bluray to me and not contact the Filmdepartment in his house..
well i cleared that with him and he agreed to also pay me the fee for Anydvd HD..
which is handy of course...

But its done now so we can forget about it....

and i also have the Rights.. if this is your concern..?
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #13
Inner Circle

You can "rip" the BluRay disc, right?

I think the biggest problem is that in some situations, contracts to receive the final material are unenforceable by small timers like me. A producer promises in writing that a high definition (1080i or 720p) final copy of the show will be delivered within 60 days of airing. Instead, a standard DVD is delivered. The producer's contract expires when the production work for the series is completed. The studio owner declines to provide a BluRay or even a copy of the HD master. Some companies provide a copy of the master tape. Others waffle and delay. So, what am I supposed to do besides write letters and make phone calls? Instead, I record the Firewire output from the cable box when the show is aired. Though, that is a recompressed, lower bitrate version of the original because all sorts of overlays have been added.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; December 15th, 2009 at 01:32 AM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Yeah.. Improvising is one of the key things in our business..
And holding Deadlines often more important than Picture Quality.. Especially for Television..
Philipp Steiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey