Weight of Nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Weight of Nanoflash

What makes the Nanoflash so heavy? Since I plan to use the Nanoflash for longer handheld stretches, I would volunteer that I would pay $100-200 more for a lighter unit, even if that entails a plastic or lighter metal case. The Nanoflash seems to have a very sturdy build, but that is not needed by me.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Gints,

The nanoFlash weights .85 pounds.

The case is made out of aluminum to allow the heat to dissipate.

Plastic acts as a heat insulator, trapping the heat inside.

Since we need all of the circuits that we have inside the nanoFlash, and the metal case, could you consider mounting it in a backpack or other place, away from the camera?
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

"Since we need all of the circuits that we have inside the nanoFlash, and the metal case, could you consider mounting it in a backpack or other place, away from the camera?"

On a shoulder mount or tripod, no problem. In a pure handheld situation, it is, of course, reassuring to watch the Nanoflash at work. My current mount method involves Olof's stronger EX1 base plate and wing, and that hardware + Nanoflash adds quite a bit of weight.
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Gints

Have you ever thought of using the Hoodman Wristshot ? http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-WS1

Before setting up my current Nano configuration with the QRPro2 mounted Nano - I used the Wristshot all the time but it wouldn't work with the QRPro2 because of the distance from the camera. Since I have Olof's system on order now I plan on going back to using the WristShot for shorter runs and the shoulder mount system that I use for longer ones. With the WristShot I keep the camera strap around my neck and, between shots, would rest the camera in like an "arm sling" configuration between shots.

How much weight are you talking about with Olof's system - I can't imagine it being over a pound all together. That is what the weight of the QRPro2 is and I was able to use it handheld for short runs (using my left hand to steady of course). The thing I like about the WristShot is that it frees your other hand for manual adjustments.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Major Player

As an owner of both the nanoFlash and the XDR, I was very suprised to see a complaint about he weight of the nano.

Out of all the high end format digital recorders in it's class (AJA KiPro, XDR, nanoFlash), the nano is by far the lightest and smallest. My opinion is it's weight/size make it a thing of rare beauty.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Major Player

The Nano is lighter than a couple of my on-camera lights.

Non-issue, IMHO

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Major Player

The weight and size was my main reason for choosing the nanoFLASH over other models and makes.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Out of all the high end format digital recorders in it's class (AJA KiPro, XDR, nanoFlash), the nano is by far the lightest and smallest. My opinion is it's weight/size make it a thing of rare beauty.
True. I've worked on a lot of consumer-space embedded devices that are very light (including iPods) and some other in plastic case that also include batteries, so I'm just curious about the weight. The Sony EX1 is one of the heavier cameras that is on the edge of handholdability, so additional weight begs for additional support.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; December 7th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Gints

Have you ever thought of using the Hoodman Wristshot ? http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-WS1
Yes, that looks promising, but I already have a DVTec MultiRig and a Vortex Media shoulder mount. For handheld shooting in martial arts, I have to get the camera down to my knees or even on the ground at times. This was not a problem with the Sony Z1, but the EX1 is just that much more unwieldly. Perhaps, as Dan suggested, it's better to keep the Nanoflash on my body. That would also allow me to use the smaller Sony batteries on the EX1 to keep the weight down.
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I think the size and weight of the Nano is amazing. So small and light and full of big screen broadcast punch.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #11
Major Player

I wish my rig were as light as your camera with a Nano. My rig weighs over 25 pounds and I've held it handheld for a few 4 hour gigs (continuous).
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Aaron WOW 25 lbs that is heavy. When I owned the Red One the all up weight on my shoulder was 23 lbs. You really need all that gear on the camera?

If you do need all that gear I can see why you want to cut weight but you have to admit the Nano is a very small part of the whole package.

Correction:
Sorry Aaron after seeing your stills from your shoot it now makes sense why your Viper Rig is so heavy.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; December 8th, 2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Correction comment.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #13
Major Player

Paul, when I handhold my camera it's completely stripped down to 25 pounds. No LCD, nothing extra at all. Just camera, recorder, lens and battery. THAT'S IT.

It weighs much more than 25 pounds when you attach rails, mattebox, LCD, wireless receiver (or maybe a transmitter too). It can get pretty heavy.

For handholding though, it's completely stripped down. The Viper body only weighs 9.8 pounds by the way.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Wow that camera packs a punch with both weight and picture quality. I now understand why every oz counts.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey