DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   A Few Notes And Stills From The Shoot Today (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/469102-few-notes-stills-shoot-today.html)

Aaron Newsome December 7th, 2009 11:00 PM

A Few Notes And Stills From The Shoot Today

4 Attachment(s)
Well after shooting day one, we're still on schedule. Got through all the pages today. The crew were all on their game and it really went as smooth as could be expected for day 1. Many of these guys have never worked together or with the director. We only had one busted take because of equipment, an Anton Bauer died in the middle of a take. Power was a problem all day, at 44 watts the Viper chews through Anton Bauers like tic tacs.

Special thanks to Richard Welnowski for being the expert on all things Viper with XDR, and handing over some last minute tips.

Shooting was mostly flawless, but a few notes about using the XDR today.

* We were constantly having the script girl get file names after the take because after a power cycle, the XDR doesn't show the last file recorded, but the first file available for playback from the head of the card. We all wished there was a better way to display what file number was about to be recorded. Instead we only know that file that has just been recorded but only when not powering on from off.

* There is no level adjustment for the headphone output. The director wanted headphones and the only output we had for him was out of the XDR but the signal was too hot so we skipped the headphones all together. Of course we could run that into a mixer and attenuate it there but another box to deal with. A proper level adjustment would be nice.

* Even after warning the first AC about the XDR's bionic eject mechanism, we still had a few card ejects go the distance. I'd like to crack this box open and redesign the eject mechanism for CD. Obviously the eject level has way too much leverage, travel or both.

Anyway, here's a few stills from today. Sorry I couldn't get better shots with my blurrycam but I was trying to stay out of the way mostly.

Mark Job December 7th, 2009 11:26 PM

Great Pictures

Hi Aaron:
Great pictures. I like the way you have mounted your XDR slant back on your Viper. Glad to see you're pumping out video with your XDR. How's the A/V sync ? How are you doing the time code ? What format are you shooting in ? 24p or 59.94i ? Can your Viper shoot 1080 60p ?

Dan Keaton December 8th, 2009 12:33 AM

Dear Aaron,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I will see what we can do to show you the last clip number.

I assume that you are aware that our take numbers are sequential.
The first two digits are you Unit ID, then the three digit Clip number, then 001.

A gentle touch is desirable when ejecting the cards.

I will be checking if we built into the Flash XDR a circuit for adjusting the headphone output level.

I know we have this in the nanoFlash, maybe we just have not yet added the firmware support for the Flash XDR. I will report back.

In the meantime, a simple headphone extension cable with a built in level adjustment may be used. These are generally fairly easy to find.

Doug Jensen December 8th, 2009 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I carry this accessory on every shoot. I have an assistant stand with it a few feet away whenever I eject the card.
We used to use a catcher's mitt, but the cards kept shooting right through the laces.

Paul Inglis December 8th, 2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1457659)
I carry this accessory on every shoot. I have an assistant stand with it a few feet away whenever I eject the card.
We used to use a catcher's mitt, but the cards kept shooting right through the laces.

Oh, that is so funny!

Aaron Newsome December 8th, 2009 08:38 AM

LOL @ Doug.

Aaron Newsome December 8th, 2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Job (Post 1457574)
Hi Aaron:
Great pictures. I like the way you have mounted your XDR slant back on your Viper. Glad to see you're pumping out video with your XDR. How's the A/V sync ? How are you doing the time code ? What format are you shooting in ? 24p or 59.94i ? Can your Viper shoot 1080 60p ?

Hi Mark. We're not doing a filmout for this show. We're shooting 23.98 fps so we can send it to DVD, Bluray I think. The Viper is able to send a 24p signal (rather than 23.98) but XDR can not do 24fps to Quicktime (at least not with my firmware).

The A/V sync is perfect, I'm using a tried and true firmware that I've personally done 3-4 hour continuous shots with. After the last firmware snafu, I downgraded and I would not have had time to try the fixed firmware before we started shooting.

Viper can overcrank to 60p but it does so with a 720p output frame. Keep in mind though that the Viper (unlike most camera) will still use every pixel on the sensor even with a 720p output. For each pixel of 720p output, the camera is oversampling using 6 pixels on the sensor. Imagine that.

Also, I'd never shoot in interlaced formats unless I had too. If I wanted 29.97p, I'd shoot that. There's no reason to shoot interlaced since the sensors and output are natively progressive no matter what framerate or size.

Perrone Ford December 8th, 2009 09:39 AM

Aaron,

Are you doing this in Filmstream mode? If so, I need to ask you a question/favor.

Aaron Newsome December 8th, 2009 10:25 AM

Hi Perrone. We're not shooting Filmstream because we have no way to record it. Filmstream requires Dual link HD-SDI 3Gb/s and a system that can record 4:4:4 full raster 1080p. In other words, a very fast recorder with very fast disks.

We're using the XDR recorder which can't operate with Filmstream mode because it only has a single HD-SDI input. Filmstream requires dual link HD-SDI.

We're shooting in HDStream mode which is identical to Filmstream (raw data, zero processing), but it is 4:2:2 10 bit, of which the XDR can record 4:2:2 and 8 bits of the data.

The pictures look very good. I'm always hesitant to post raw frame grabs from the Viper though since most people can not wrap their head around the raw flat uninspiring pictures. Filmstream and HDStream images require color correction before they can be viewed properly.

Aaron Newsome December 8th, 2009 10:42 AM

I could however do some Filmstream recording with a blackmagic card though.

Perrone Ford December 8th, 2009 11:17 AM

Aaron,

I forgot about HDStream mode...

What I would like, is about 30-60 seconds of footage to play through a workflow. I've worked with Filmstream capture stuff before, but only stills. I even have presets built to take the "green curse" off the images. :)

I know what you're saying about people not being able to wrap their heads around the images. It's certainly odd looking at the RAW footage. But honestly, people freak on flat footage in REDCODE or any logarithmic capture. I forgot EXR was that way when I did my first EXR exports...

Honestly, the footage could be just while the camera is rolling during setup. I don't want anything identifiable (slates, actors, etc.) Just something to mess around with.

Mark Job December 8th, 2009 12:54 PM

Viper + XDR: The Total Solution

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome (Post 1457688)
Hi Mark. The Viper is able to send a 24p signal (rather than 23.98) but XDR can not do 24fps to Quicktime (at least not with my firmware).

....Yeah. I think CD added a QT True 24 p selection to the latest or was it the last firmware, so I'm assuming it's still there. Mike or Tommy, or Dan jump in here and confirm or correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I saw true 24p QT file capture ability added.

Aaron Newsome December 8th, 2009 05:15 PM

Perrone. I grabbed a few seconds of footage. It's 200mb. Will let you know when it's uploaded.

Perrone Ford December 8th, 2009 08:07 PM

Much obliged sir!

Aaron Newsome December 9th, 2009 04:52 AM

Perrone, I sent you a private message,