2:3:3:2 Cadence Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Convergent Design

2:3:3:2 Cadence Test

The latest nano/xdr firmware now has the 2:3:3:2 as well as the 2:3:2:3 pulldown cadence. Does anyone have a JVC 700 camera to test if this new pull-down cadence is now working?

We only have the Canon XL-H1 and the Sony EX1 cameras available for tests. They both use the 2:3:2:3 cadence.

Thanks-
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Contributor

Yes - how would you like me to construct the test? Is this the 23.98P in both 720 and 1080?

cheers John
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear John,

We do not support 23.98 in 720p yet.

We will shortly, hopefully for Christmas.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Yes - how would you like me to construct the test? Is this the 23.98P in both 720 and 1080?

cheers John
Hi John-
Set your camera for 1080p24 recording. The HD-SDI output should then be 1080i60 (24p with the extra pull-down frames added). You can read the HD-SDI format in the lower left corner of the LCD screen on the nanoFlash.

Assuming this all looks correct, enable "Remove 3:2 Pulldown" in the Video Menu on the nanoFlash. You should see the detected video format change to 1080pd23 indicating that the nanoFlash has detected the pulldown cadence and removed the extra frames.

Best-
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Test done with Canon HV40 2:3:2:3

Hello Mike, Dan and Tommy,
Yesterday I did a test shoot with nanoFlash at 50/100/140/180 Mbps via HDMI with
pull-down checked from Canon HV40 24p native and works perfectly! Sound is in sync, picture is awesome. That pull-down firmware was the best Christmas present from Convergent-Design to us. Thank you!
As you know we have only 3 weeks before our shoot in India and that pull-down was a must for us. Also, I would like to use this forum to Thank you again for the sponsorship and your generous involvement in this project! Thank you very much!
Best
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Convergent Design

Hi Luben-
Excellent, thanks for the timely feedback.

Best-
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi John-
Set your camera for 1080p24 recording. The HD-SDI output should then be 1080i60 (24p with the extra pull-down frames added). You can read the HD-SDI format in the lower left corner of the LCD screen on the nanoFlash.

Assuming this all looks correct, enable "Remove 3:2 Pulldown" in the Video Menu on the nanoFlash. You should see the detected video format change to 1080pd23 indicating that the nanoFlash has detected the pulldown cadence and removed the extra frames.

Best-
Hi Mike - I've run this test and it works.

I haven't recorded any footage with this yet to check - I just check the unit display. I won't be in town for a couple of weeks so any further tests will have to wait until then. Sorry it took so long but been busy meeting Christmasa deadlines.

All the best for the festive season to everyone at CD - what a great team.

cheers

John
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Hi Mike - I've run this test and it works.

I haven't recorded any footage with this yet to check - I just check the unit display. I won't be in town for a couple of weeks so any further tests will have to wait until then. Sorry it took so long but been busy meeting Christmasa deadlines.

All the best for the festive season to everyone at CD - what a great team.

cheers

John
Hi John-
Thanks; this is really good news. I'll relay this to our hardware design engineer, John Schell.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays-
Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey