Power button not working? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Could you please email me the serial number of your nanoFlash?
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Jeff,

I am using the latest firmware (1.1.154). Does that make a difference? From what Dan wrote above, it sounds as though the software/firmware won't affect the switch.
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #18
Vortex Media

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but the more I use my nano the more I want a power button. I think I've been in the business long enough to be to handle the complexity of turning a device on when I need it. I'm tired of the nano sapping power from my camera battery unnecessarily -- or yanking the power cord and leaving it to dangle around. I vote for a working (and durable) on/off switch.
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I second Doug on this.
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #20
Convergent Design

Power Save Functions?

Hi Piotr, Doug-
Have you enabled the power save function on the nanoFlash? This reduces the power draw from 6W to 0.2W when the HD-SDI signal turns off. This battery life is increased by 30X in low-power mode.

Thanks-
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #21
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but the more I use my nano the more I want a power button. I think I've been in the business long enough to be to handle the complexity of turning a device on when I need it. I'm tired of the nano sapping power from my camera battery unnecessarily -- or yanking the power cord and leaving it to dangle around. I vote for a working (and durable) on/off switch.
I am considering making a cable with an inline switch.

I am actually thinking of one for the Swit batteries that splits the power, not from the D-tap but from the power cable. I just got the biggest 95wh Swit and the power tap is on the bottom of the battery (using the EX1), somewhat vulnerable in my opinion. It will just velcro onto the battery top and have a good quality switch to the NanoFlash cable, and a cable that goes to the EX1/3, the D-tap could be used for a light monitor or whatever.

If anyone is interested, contact me.

olof@westsideav.com
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Piotr, Doug-
Have you enabled the power save function on the nanoFlash? This reduces the power draw from 6W to 0.2W when the HD-SDI signal turns off. This battery life is increased by 30X in low-power mode.

Thanks-
Hi Mike,

I have enabled the power save function, and yet I'm just not comfortable knowing my Nano is constantly on - which leads me to pull out the power cable, which is not good either.

I guess I might be over-sensitive to the battery draw problem after my experience with the EX1, which has been notorious of ta (even when off).

Let me ask - is the Nano power button disabled in hardware, or firmware? If it's the latter, why not give users the choice of having it activated or not?
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #23
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Piotr, Doug-
Thanks-
No, I haven't turned that on because the manual says the "sleep" mode will never engage when there's a signal on SDI input. Well, if my camera is on, then there's always going to be a signal on the output because my nano gets it's power from the D-tap on the F800. The only time there won't be a signal on the SDI input is when the camera is turned off - and that means the nano will already be off, too.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Doug,

I guess the reasoning is simple: camera on = SDI signal on = nanoFlash on; to switch it off you need to turn camera off (or yank the power cord)...

So really, this is a concern only when shooting with nanoFlash attached, but NOT intended to be used - which of course may happen quite often. It's these circumstances when I, like you, would prefer a switch...
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Dear Doug and Piotr,

We have tried to find a replacement power switch that is more reliable, and still fit into the same space, etc.

Please note that the power switch is a very low-profile switch so that it does not get accidently pressed.

I have run tests with our smallest 2-Cell Lithium-Ion battery. If you enable "Power Save", the nanoFlash powers down when no HD-SDI is present. I ran the nanoFlash for about 4 days in this mode, and I still had power in the battery.

For any normal shoot, with any regular battery, the power save should work fine.
Just power down the camera when you want, and the nanoFlash will go into low power mode, power the camera back on, and the nanoFlash is ready to record.

The potential to fail to power-on the nanoFlash again, after a battery change, is very real. It may never happen to you, but it has already happened to professional camera operators.

If we can find a suitable in-line power switch, we could build a custom cable that has a Male 4-Pin Hirose connector, the switch, and a Female 4-Pin Hirose connector. Thus, one could just this this switch to power down the nanoFlash.
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #26
Vortex Media

Dan,

I understand all the reasons things are the way they are, but Im offering my comments as a suggestion and not as a complaint. If you never hear any feedback from people who DO want a power switch, you might assume we don't care. I do care, but it's not a huge issue.

Also, I'd love to have a tally light on the front face since most of my recordings are triggered manually. Neither of the tally lights is in position where I can see them. The timecode numbers changing is really the only confirmation I have and that is not good enough.

Again, just a suggestion and not a complaint.
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I am considering making a cable with an inline switch.

I am actually thinking of one for the Swit batteries that splits the power, not from the D-tap but from the power cable. I just got the biggest 95wh Swit and the power tap is on the bottom of the battery (using the EX1), somewhat vulnerable in my opinion. It will just velcro onto the battery top and have a good quality switch to the NanoFlash cable, and a cable that goes to the EX1/3, the D-tap could be used for a light monitor or whatever.

If anyone is interested, contact me.

olof@westsideav.com
Olof - I know we talked about this last night but I am not completely clear - are you talking about inserting the power cord (that normally goes to the camera) of the Swit battery into a switch with two cables coming from the switch- one to power the camera and the other with a Hirose connector for the Nano?
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #28
Sponsor: Westside AV

Barry,

Yes that is what I mean.

And the one to the NanoFlash would be switched by a quality slide switch, so you can turn the NanoFlash on and off.

It would all be housed in a small box that is attached to the battery with velcro, probably moulded rubber.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #29
Major Player

I would definitely be interested in that - let me know when you come up with a working model.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Dear Barry,

Yesterday I started searching for a small, reliable in-line switch for this purpose.

If anyone knows of a good switch that we can place "in-line" with our power cable, then I would appreciate an email or reply here.

There are lots of switches available, but few switches are designed to be used in-line with a cable. And few of the ones available are small. Most switches are designed to be mounted on a panel, or on a circuit board.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey