DV Magazine Review of the nanoFlash - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #31
Trustee

Dropping bits versus dithering them

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
I think the answer is Mark that CD throw away the extra 2 bits. Currently the Nano wold just throw away those last two numbers and end up with a slightly different result...1.0000000.

I'm not sure what the impact on the final image would be - maybe slightly smoother gradients?
...Hi John: The question is which procedure works better ? Can one see the difference ? Is it better to just do away with the extra 2 bits of precision, or dither the 10 into 8 ? Which looks better ? I would think it is probably more efficient to just drop the extra 2 bits, so that the internal Nano/XDR processor doesn't have to work as hard. I'm guessing that dithering 10 bits into 8 uses allot of processor power. (??) Is this accurate Tommy ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #32
Major Player

My guess is as well that dithering 10bit to 8bit will be a waste. MPEG-2 is an 8-bit codec. As I said in the article, 8-bit color is more than adequate for a number of shooting scenarios. If you need 10bit (or greater) color sampling, then you simply need a different codec (read here, different device). Each tool has its place. nanoFlash works perfectly for me.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
Each tool has its place. nanoFlash works perfectly for me.

Ned Soltz
Exactly. No software application or piece of hardware is optimized for every possible scenario.
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #34
Trustee

The XDR Works well for me

Quote:
Each tool has its place. nanoFlash works perfectly for me.

Ned Soltz
....The XDR works perfectly for me as well.....But it could work even more perfectly if I had the *U* option for digital cinema origination. (Doing my best not to thread camp on that one Chris)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:03 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
My guess is as well that dithering 10bit to 8bit will be a waste. MPEG-2 is an 8-bit codec. As I said in the article, 8-bit color is more than adequate for a number of shooting scenarios. If you need 10bit (or greater) color sampling, then you simply need a different codec (read here, different device). Each tool has its place. nanoFlash works perfectly for me.

Ned Soltz
Perhaps, but dithering is a pretty accepted way to enhance an information resolutiong change, and it's considered superior to truncating, simple rounding or adding zeros.

I do think it has more value when up-rezing than when down-rezing, so you may be right.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Cash Cab XDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Rafael:
....Cash Cab is all 8 bit XDR's.
Nice video of their set-up.
YouTube - On Set with the HD Flash XDR - Camera Department
Jose Carlos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey