Analog audio into multi-channel mix - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #16
Regular Crew

You seem to have missed the point completely.

Short form:

If the show isn't being aired live, the mixes (both video and audio) are better off done in post, not while the live show is being shot. It has nothing to do with saving time in post, it has to do with making the final product better. It wouldn't matter if the nano could record 256K@64 bit if the trumpet is too loud (or soft, or off key) in the scratch mix.

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #17
Major Player

Hello Dan,
I have been following this with a great deal of interest as I have a need for 6 more extra channels. Sorry Dan I think I am a bit thick on comprehending how one would get the extra channels with the limited audio hardware of the NanoFlash.

2 channels of embedded audio, either from HD-SDI, SD-SDI or HDMI that I understand.
Then you say "+2 Channel Audio" where is this input coming from is it from the analogue input mini phono jack? If so that the four channels.

Then you say that "your camera or other source has 4 embedded channels, then you can have 6? Now I am lost.
In my case my camera only produces 2 embedded audio from HD-SDI. Plus the two extra channels would mean that I could only get 4 channels of audio?
Dan can you tell me if I where to feed an SDI signal with 16 embedded audio channels would it be recorded by the NanoFlash recorder that way or would it default to two channels. I have been looking at using a MOTU V4HD which can embedded audio the audio channels into the SDI stream.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Most cameras with HD-SDI, SD-SDI or HDMI support two channel audio.

Almost all of these, execpt for the original Canon XL H1, embed this audio into the HD-SDI, SD-SDI or HDMI output stream.

Thus, the nanoFlash receives two channels via the embedded HD-SDI, SD-SDI or HDMI input.

Some higher end cameras support 4 or more channels of audio in-camera and thus embed this audio into their output stream.

The nanoFlash as an analog audio input, via a single 3.5 mm (1/8") mini-jack. This input supports two channels of audio.

Our goal is to take the embedded audio and add the analog audio channels.

Our current plans are to support up to a total of 8 audio channels, either all 8 from embedded audio or up to 6 channels of embedded plus 2 channels of analog audio.

If one's camera has two channels of embedded audio and one uses the analog audio inputs, one will obtain 4 audio channels (once we release our 8 Channel Audio Feature and our Plus 2 Channel Audio Feature).

Please note that although we use a 3.5mm mini-jack for the analog audio due to space considerations, the analog audio is of good quality with full 24-Bit/48K recording.

One can add more audio channels to the HD-SDI, or SD-SDI stream by using an external audio embedder.

Also, one can easily produce 8 channels of audio, from a variety of sources, in Post. One can render a file creating up to 8 channels of isolated or mixed-down channels, then using our Mac Based File Converter, create a "nanoFlash Playback ready" file that has up to 8 channels of audio for playback or for delivery.

I hope this helps.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #19
Major Player

Hello Dan,
Thank you for that explanation I now understand what is been proposed. In it's current configuration if I where input audio via the phono connector will that over write the SDI embedded audio or record two additional track?
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

With the current firmware, you have your choice of using embedded audio or the analog audio.

This is controlled via the Audio menu.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey