Nano in studio today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Nano in studio today

Here is a still from my shoot today in my recording studio with a very happy producer after we just review the first round of clips. She is looking at a Dell monitor for framing (ugh) above my camera is a Marshall HD-SDI corrected monitor. The Nano was set to Long GOP 50Mbps and ran like a champ for 7 hrs.

Also you will notice the Westside AV Studios bottom plate holding the Nano.

Sorry for the blown out picture from the lights just thought some might be interested to see the Nano and bottom plate in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Nano in studio today-nano-westside-v-studios-plate.jpg  
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Paul, I just picked up a Marshall too. Which one do you have?

I said I would never buy an expensive LCD if I didn't have to. I've come across too many situations recently that really demanded I have a decent monitor. Although it doesn't have waveforms, I think I'll do just fine with the false color for exposure. I also don't need a scope since my camera is not sending a signal that would hit the marks on the scope anyway.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Aaron,

I purchased the V-LCD70P-3GSDI. Very impressed with the False Color today for skin tone it was spot on. I kept it on this setting 85% of the day today. Also I love the peaking for my helicopter shooting. Anything that lets you know you have nailed the focus in the machine is a great feature. I noticed on Monday when we flew that its peaking was more sensitive then the EX1 peaking. Great monitor for the price.

Agree it would be nice to have wave forms and scopes, but for my EX1 this monitor is great.
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Yup. That's the same monitor I have. Amazing how cheap it is.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Convergent Design

Record Indicator on Loop-Out Monitor

Hi Paul, Aaron-
Speaking of monitors, we are planning to add a record indicator (maybe a red line at the bottom of the image) when the nanoFlash is in record mode. Like the audio tones in the headphone (which also indicate record start/stop), this record indicator can be enabled or disabled via a menu selection.

Best-
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Mike,

What you have just announced is something I was going to ask ever since I got my Nano! When feeding the HD-SDI signal to the Nano, I have to switch off any "overlay" signal from it (menues, AND the REC indicator); this forces me to peak into my EX1's viewfinder from time to time just to make sure the camera is recording. If we could get a recording indicator from the Nano on our external monitors, it'd be awesome!

BTW, I'm also using the Marshall :)
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Paul, nice rig! Do you find it a bit top heavy with the monitor up so high?

Mike, that sounds like a great feature to implement, as I have the EX-3 and suffer the same problem as Piotr.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Aaron I agree the price from Abel made it a no brainer.

Mike I thought about have a record indicator in the external monitor thanks for taking the lead as you always do.

Paul the rig was a little top heavy but down on the way on the sticks. And we were locked for the day.
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

On the subject of monitors. This is how I mount my Marshall.

I have a small bracket I made that fits in the left arm mount on my fluid head with an adjustable Noga articulating arm.

I like this system, when you go shoulder mounted the monitor stays with the sticks, and it does not add stress to the camera or unbalance when shouldering the cam.

It is avery simple mod, a peace if angle iron tapped for the arm and a 3/8" bolt into the existing arm mount on the head.

It would also be quite simple to make one that attaches to your left or right tripod arm if you use both arms. I used to do that with my DSR500 then I had a Canon studio focus on the left arm, and zoom rec controls on the right arm.
Attached Images

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
If we could get a recording indicator from the Nano on our external monitors, it'd be awesome!

BTW, I'm also using the Marshall :)
Mike & Dan,

I only hope that when you provide the record/pause indicator for the nano, it will also work from its HDMI out - as this is how I use my Marshall (assuming the HD-SDI output of my EX1 will be occupied with the nanoFlash most of the time, I decided to save a couple of bucks and went for the HDMI version :)).
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #11
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Mike & Dan,

I only hope that when you provide the record/pause indicator for the nano, it will also work from its HDMI out - as this is how I use my Marshall (assuming the HD-SDI output of my EX1 will be occupied with the nanoFlash most of the time, I decided to save a couple of bucks and went for the HDMI version :)).
Hi Piotr-
Yes, these indicators will be on both HD/SD-SDI and HDMI outputs.

Best-
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the confirmation!
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Marshall Monitor Brightness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I purchased the V-LCD70P-3GSDI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
Yup. That's the same monitor I have.
Paul & Aaron,

I'm looking at the same monitor... mostly for playback confidence. But I'm a bit concerned concerned about the brightness in strong light conditions. The spec of "250 cd/mē brightness, 400:1 contrast ratio" seems a bit lower than others. Having any problems on a brightly lit set or outdoors?

Thanks
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Absolutely - these are not the greatest specs. I haven't tried mine under full sunshine yet, but I'm prepared a good sunhood will be a must.

For $1,000 I guess you cannot expect more - and the peaking + false colors alone are worth this price, imho.
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Bob I agree with Piotr the specs are not great for full sun. The first shoot I used the monitor on was full sun. Sunhood is a must to see the detail you need. But for 1k it is my choice due to the peaking and false color which are great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey