Nano clips in Vegas 9.0c - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Dear Adam,

Some Non-Linear Editors will properly handle the audio from 1080p30 (True) sources.

You may try a demo download of Edius.

Or you could ask Sony Creative Software to see if they will support your needs. They may have a way to tweak your Vegas settings so the audio will play.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Is there any way to get the computer to output 29.97 instead of true 30 over HDMI?

Tommy
Tommy Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #78
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Schell View Post
Is there any way to get the computer to output 29.97 instead of true 30 over HDMI?

Tommy
I have just tried it and it offered 30i and 29i but not 29.97i. When I chose either, it worked, which surprised me as the manual of my monitor does not mention it. Normally I have it set to 60 Hz and that is how I made that file.

I'll have to dig out my nano and see if it makes any difference, probably over the weekend.

Though it still does not make sense to me. It shows the video just fine. It is the video rate that is 30 fps. The audio rate is 48 kHz. So, if anything, it should have trouble with the video not the audio (not that that would make me happier). When I ran the same file through VLS and saved the output to a .wav file and I drag the .wav file on the timeline, it plays both the audio and the video and they are perfectly synchronized. So I seriously doubt the problem is with using true 30.

OK, I have just run two different tests. I used SUPERŪ to convert the .MXF file to a .MPG file in the stream copy (no transcoding) mode. This time even VLC could not hear the sound, though it saw the video. Then I used SUPERŪ to convert it to a .wav file, again in the stream copy mode. That was success. And if I drag the .wav on the Vegas timeline, it has no problem with it.

So, at least, now I have a workaround. It is an extra step, but it is much simpler to get the .wav out of it with SUPERŪ than with VLC. I can live with that.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #79
Inner Circle

Dan, I found some Nano MXF files that play sound in either Vegas 9.0e but not in VLC 1.05 (1.10 stutters on MXF audio files) . I recorded the Sony EX1 in parallel to SxS, so I have the same scene with audio. These were recorded on December 29, 2009, though I can't remember which firmware. I have not loaded beta firmware but usually get to the official release firmware within a week of announcement.LongGOP100 MBps at 1080p30. Vegas shows the audio in the time-line.

I have shots from later on that day (prebuffer on) with audio that play in both Vegas and VLC. The difference is that the silent-in-VLC Nano MXF files have audio recorded only to the right channel while the proper files have the same audio in both channels with that EX1 audio input mode that routes the left mic to both channels. For the Silent-in-VLC files, Vegas shows the audio in the right channel for both Nano and SxS. I had one shotgun mic in two channel record mode for the Silent-in-VLC recordings and in Channel1-to-Both-Channels mode for the proper recordings.

Here are the two files, prebuffer off.
Index of /Videos/Nanoflash/Test_SilentNano

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; July 16th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #80
Inner Circle

Stan, what are your Vegas Project settings? Would you mind creating a very short 10MByte Nano file (say 18 MBps setting for LongGOP) with audio from your BlackMagic HDMI out and emailing it to me? I don't think Yahoo allows for a total encoded size of greater than 25 MBytes.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; July 17th, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #81
Inner Circle

I added another file from the same day with same Nano settings but different Sony EX1 microphone configuration (microphone in both XLR inputs). VLC allows viewing the codec information and shows that all of these MXF files have different audio Stream orders. The MXF files, both Eseals_01189001.MXF with VLC sound and Rays_01134001.MXF with no VLC sound, have the same Stream ordering as show in in VLC's Codec Information.

Eseals_01189001.MXF Nano file, microphone in both XLR inputs, LongGOP 100 MBps

Rays_00001135_01.MP4 SxS file, microphone in right XLR input, LongGOP 100 MBps

Rays_01134001.MXF Nano file, microphone in right XLR input, LongGOP 100 MBps

Rays_00001135_01_mxf_SonyClipBrowserExportMXFforNLE.mxf : SxS MP4 file exported from Sony ClipBrowser 2.6 under "Export MXF for NLEs"

Rays_00001135_01_mxf_SonyClipBrowserExportforXDCAM422.mxf : SxS MP4 file exported from Sony Clip Browser under "Export for XDCAM HD422

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; July 18th, 2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #82
Trustee

My nanofile opened in VLC shows two audio tracks, one mono, the other 1-channel (not sure what the difference is, but that is how VLC reports it). VLC plays the sound the same regardless of which audio track I choose.

Vegas says there is one audio track and it is stereo but does not play the sound.

The .wav file created by SUPERŪ has one mono track according to both VLC and Vegas.

At any rate, if VLC sees two mono channels and Vegas sees one stereo channel, that shows some kind of format incompatibility somewhere. The original that was recorded by the nano had stereo sound, so it is strange that it looks like two mono tracks to VLC (and apparently to SUPERŪ).

The Sony XDCAM Viewer plays both the audio and video and says the audio is in the AES-3 format with 2 channels

Of course, the Viewer is a 32-bit app, while Vegas is a 64-bit app, so it is an unfair comparison.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #83
Inner Circle

Dear Adam,

It could be that a file recorded with 1.6.29, our latest release may work for you.

I believe that we had some problems in this area, last December.

I do not know of any similiar problems reported with 1.6.29.
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #84
Inner Circle

This is all strange... I never had any problem with audio channel mapping in Vegas. The original SxS mxf files are read as 4-channel (with only channel 1 and 2 actually containing audio), while those from the nanoFlash - as 2 channel. In both cases, the 2 channels that contain the audio are arranged as a single, stereo track...
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #85
Inner Circle

Piotr, where do you get SxS MXF files? Aren't they MP4 ?

ClipBrowser MXF and Nanoflash MXF appear to have a different MXF structure, at least from viewing them from VLC. Check the PNG files in my link above that show the Codec Details from VLC. Nano's MXF uses 24 bits/sample and two Streams, one Channels=1 and Channels=Mono . ClipBrowser exports 16 bits/sample with four Streams, three with Channels=1 and Channels=Mono . Though, I'm reporting MXF files that play in Vegas and are silent in VLC.
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #86
Inner Circle

Gints,

You're right - the native format of SxS files is mp4 (mpeg-2 in the mp4 wrapper, to be exact), and you can read them directly by Vegas.

However in my workflow, I always preferred to re-wrap from mp4 container to the mxf (ClipBrowser does it on the fly using the "Export for NLE" option). This way, I'm always working with mxf regardless of whether the clips come from the SxS or the nanoFlash.

Again: both SxS and nano mxf audio is OK here (in VLC as well as Sony MXF Player, or NLEs such as Vegas and Edius).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey