DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   NanoFlash mounting system now shipping (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/469519-nanoflash-mounting-system-now-shipping.html)

Olof Ekbergh December 16th, 2009 10:12 AM

NanoFlash mounting system now shipping

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some Photos of the new NanoFlash arm system that is now available.

You can order them here:
EX1 Stronger Plates

Or by contacting me:
olof@westsideav.com

They are made for the EX1 and EX1R, but they will fit most mid size cameras. I have tested fit on Z1, Z5U and Z7U. Contact me if you have questions about your camera.

You may notice that some of the photos have quick release shoulder brace, and that the plate can be used with the VCT-U14 tripod plate. Contact me if you are interested in those options. I have beta versions available now. I will be shipping final versions early next year.

I also make the adapter for the Nnoga arm that mounts it on the tripod heads left arm mount. I like this because the monitor stays on the sticks when you go shoulder mounted.

Luben Izov December 16th, 2009 03:00 PM

Manfrotto 028B with HDV 503 FH

Thank you for posting the pictures. I apologize for the silly question, but, I can't see the way is mounted on the tripod. I have a Manfrotto 028B and would like to know if it's possible to use your way of mounting...
Cheers

Olof Ekbergh December 16th, 2009 03:11 PM

Luben,

Not a silly question at all. I should have made a note. Thanks.

I use the VCT-U14 Sony plate, the same that is used on most full size cameras, I just love the positive snap when you clip the camera on, and it always is in the same balance position unlike sliding dovetail plates.

You can use any plate with my system the bottom has lots of 1/4" and 3/8" tapped holes with the standard 9/16" spacing.

Jeff Anselmo December 16th, 2009 03:25 PM

Hi Olof,

Nice pics! Although I may not be getting a Nanoflash (but I can dream, though :) , I am interested in your plates for mounting wireless receivers.

What is that shoulder brace/thingy you have there? Is that one of yours?

Best,

Olof Ekbergh December 16th, 2009 05:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Jeff,

I am working on a shoulder brace for my system. It is currently in the beta testing mode.

And there is a photo there of one of the parts. It is a quick release system. Here are a few more photos. They just click in, you can use just the shoulder part or both.

If you are interested in the shoulder brace contact me:
olof@westsideav.com

Jeff Anselmo December 17th, 2009 05:26 PM

Hi Olof,

Yes, I'm very interested in a shoulder brace for the EX1R; but I won't have the camera until next year! (We've been shooting with the PDW-F335 recently, but would sure like to have the portability of an EX1!)

But your shoulder brace beta version looks good so far. So that straight piece goes against your chest for added stability? (And it looks like there's an option to use it to go ice climbing :)

So hopefully, by the time I do have an EX1R, you're ready to ship a full working shoulder brace version (in anodized black perhaps?).

Best,

Olof Ekbergh December 17th, 2009 09:19 PM

Jeff,

Yes I should be shipping the shoulder brace in January. And it will be anodized black.

I am currently testing subtle differences in angle and length, with shooters of different sizes.

My aim is to have a quick setup and a nice comfortable light setup. I find the part that rests on your chest is very important when trying to hold a frame for a long time, it completely removes the cameras tendency to tilt left. The NanoFlash helps this as well when mounted on my wing/arm system even without the chest brace.

I will post my progress here.

Piotr Wozniacki December 18th, 2009 06:47 AM

Olof,

With your pictures, you got me interested in the shoulder mount design (in addition to the mandatory EX1 base plate + nanoFlash mount).

As you know from our email exchange, I'm a bit "special" with regards to a shoulder mount ergonomics / weight, due to my neck and spine being weakened after the surgery.

Could you please elaborate (and perhaps add some more pictures) on how the complete configuration (EX1/nanoFlash, base plate, shoulder mount) is supposed to be positioned? In particular, I'd like to know whether the operator is supposed to only use the viewfinder. I have the Hoodman loupe on my EX1's LCD, and would prefer to use that...

Without some pictures, I cannot tell if using the Hoodman loupe will be possible (due to the distance required between the operator and camera for accommodating the nanoFlash).

Thanks,

Piotr

Barry J. Weckesser December 18th, 2009 07:12 AM

Piotr

That is always my first question with regard to any new mounting option. Preserve the HoodLoupe!! :)

Olof Ekbergh December 18th, 2009 08:06 AM

Barry, Piotr,

I just ordered the new Hoodman setup. I had just the loop (for my Canon 5DmkII) and I did not like the way it looked worked on my EX1R, the R actually has a better viewfinder.

But the EX3 viewfinder is really much better.

As soon as I get it I will be making sure my shoulder system works with the Hoodloop system. It should actually be much better as the camera sits further back.

My aim is to have the system be adjustable for a shooters size and shooting with built-in viewfinder or LCD with a sunshade (this works very well on the present system) and I like shooting this way sometimes, it is a safe way to have a lot of peripheral visibility walking around.

I will post my progress here, with pictures soon.

The system should be ready by January.

Piotr Wozniacki December 18th, 2009 08:18 AM

Thanks Olof.

Like Barry, I'd like to preserve my Hoodman loupe usability as it's WAAAAY better than monitoring through the original EX1 viewfinder (I realize those lucky ones with EX1R may not care...).

What I find particularly promising is your declaring the system flexibility in accommodating various persons (size, physical condition, etc.).

I'll be watching your developments closely, and - depending on your answer to my last email - try to coordinate ordering, if you please.

Thanks,

Piotr

Barry J. Weckesser December 18th, 2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1461764)
Barry, Piotr,

I just ordered the new Hoodman setup. I had just the loop (for my Canon 5DmkII) and I did not like the way it looked worked on my EX1R, the R actually has a better viewfinder.

But the EX3 viewfinder is really much better.

As soon as I get it I will be making sure my shoulder system works with the Hoodloop system. It should actually be much better as the camera sits further back.

My aim is to have the system be adjustable for a shooters size and shooting with built-in viewfinder or LCD with a sunshade (this works very well on the present system) and I like shooting this way sometimes, it is a safe way to have a lot of peripheral visibility walking around.

I will post my progress here, with pictures soon.

The system should be ready by January.

Olof

One of the important things to remember with the Hoodman HoodLoupe system is not only having the camera closer to the operator but also the vertical distance - i.e. how high up the camera is - if the camera is too high on the shoulder you are looking up at the LCD screen and your face tends to get squished by the right hand side of the camera - that is one of the reasons I chose the Shape WLB Spider II as my shoulder brace - the camera sits below the tip of the shoulder and thus I am looking down and my face and the right side of the camera don't have a problem.

Piotr - if my memory serves me correct - you have had that type of problem with your current shoulder mount system.

Barry

Piotr Wozniacki December 18th, 2009 09:17 AM

Exactly, Barry - in fact, this is why using the RR shouldermount, I only could use the Hoodman for occasional peaking in (or should I say - up), while framing with external monitor.

You can realize how my neck felt after a couple of minutes :)

Olof Ekbergh December 18th, 2009 09:45 AM

Nothing like a challenge.

The trick will be dealing with the large Swit battery, I would like to be able to use that battery system with the shoulder brace.

I will know more next week, when I got the Hoodman kit.

Thanks Piotr and Barry.

Olof

Barry J. Weckesser December 18th, 2009 10:52 AM

I am a little bit ambivalent about that battery - it extends so far back on the shoulder mount that I have to crane my neck a bit to get a good seal with the eyecup of the Hoodman HoodLoupe. Also the power tap on the bottom - when using the camera handheld it is sort of natural to steady the camera by pushing the back of the battery against my chest-shoulder - I am sort of leery about putting too much pressure on the D-tap connector.