Delete Last Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Delete Last Clip

Dear Friends,

We hope to have a Public Beta, not for production, release soon, maybe this week.

One of the features that may be included will be "Delete Last Clip".

Aside from the obvious use of this feature, deleting the last clip when it has no value, I would like to discuss another use for this new feature.

Lets say that you are all setup for a live event that is not supposed to start for 10 minutes.

This allows you time to go away for a few minutes.

With this feature, you could start recording on the nanoFlash, then walk away.
When you return, if nothing significant has occurred, then you can "Delete Last Clip".

If something did happen, then you have it.
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Personally, I don't see a lot of value in Delete Last clip functionality. I'm actually kind of glad it doesn't exist as of yet. One less thing to worry about. However, just because I find no use in it, doesn't mean it's useless. I'm sure lots of others will find a need for it.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Aaron,

Yes, this is not for eveyone.

It is usefull for those short of card capacity.

It is also dangerous if one deletes a good clip.
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

If you are recording on SxS and NanoFlash @ the same time. And you are using time code trigger.

Then if you hit record review on the cam the NanoFlash will record your replay. I have rec review set to entire clip, very nice EXcam feature.

I don't do this a lot, but often enough when a producer is on location that it will become an issue if you can't hit delete last clip on the NanoFlash after the replay.

So it will be a wonderful addition, keep up the good work.

And happy holidays Dan.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Major Player

I certainly concur - I have avoided using the record review (which I also have set to entire clip) for the same reason - using up too much space on the Nano CF card. Delete last clip would be a welcome addition - just try to replicate what Sony does with an "execute" step rather than just hitting one button and the clip is gone.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:30 AM   #6
Major Player

I have personnaly requested for the Delete Last Clip feature because it would be very useful for wildlife movies (and I'm not the only one to use the Nano for wildlife documentaries).
For instance, let's say that your are shooting lions hunting zebras. Lions can stay in pre-jump position for several minutes, while you still recording. So if nothing happen, you would be able to quickly delete last clip and recover some space on the CompactFlash for the true begining of the action. No need to reformat the whole card.
This also decreases the number of useless clips to transfer to your backup hard drive.
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:03 AM   #7
Vortex Media

I also want to place my vote for having Last Clip Delete.
It is one of the best features of my XDCAM camcorders, and the lack of it has been holding me back from using the nano more often.
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Cast my vote, whatever it's worth, for delete last clip. When you need as many takes as I do to get it right, it will come in very handy ;)

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:20 AM   #9
Major Player

Hello All,
It has my vote when shooting links I always seem to get the talent that can not deliver more than two lines. It will be great to just keep the good takes and as Dan said for special events you can now just let the Nano roll.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:03 AM   #10
Vortex Media

Dan,

Let me suggest that you program Last Clip delete to function the way it does on the XDCAM HD optical cameras (F355, 700, F800) and not the way it works on the EX1 and EX3.

On the optical cameras, you can only delete the very last clip, and then the fucntion is disabled until you record a new clip. This prevents you from accidently using Last Clip Delete twice in a row and causing the loss of an earlier clip you didn't really mean to trash.

On the EX camcorders you can use Last Clip Delete as many times as you want to delete every clip on the card. I think that can be dangerours in the "heat" of shoot when you may lose track of what you are doing, or maybe having an assistant running the nano. There have been times when I have gotten distracted talking to talent after a bad take and forgot whether I had already deleted it or not. On the F800 I can try Last Clip delete to see what happens. On my EX1 or EX3, I either have to check playback first, or more likely, just skip last clip delete and move on to be safe.

My vote is to have Last Clip Delete only function on the very last clip, or even better, give the operator a choice between the two different modes.
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:10 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Doug,

I agree with your suggestion, this is the safest way.
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
My vote is to have Last Clip Delete only function on the very last clip, or even better, give the operator a choice between the two different modes.
I vote for user choice between the two. At times being only able to delete the last clip only would be safe for those moments where your in the thick of it. However, there are times when one would like to delete two or three clips when not under pressure.

Whatever CD decide I'd just be glad to have some form of last clip delete!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

At this time, we are leaning towards a simple, "Delete Last Clip".

This will be available until one starts recording again.

Only the last clip will be able to be deleted.

I am leaning this way since it is safer; if one accidently presses the "Delete Last Clip" key twice, only the actual last clip will be deleted.

In addition to being safer, this fits better in the way that we were going to implement this feature.
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM   #14
Major Player

That sounds good Dan! I like simple and safe!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks

Really happy to hear that this feature will finally be available on the XDR. Saves a lot of time reviewing clips in post and deciding what to keep or delete.

Thanks a a lot CD. Keep up the good work.
Mohammad Farooqi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey