DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Audio @ 2x the speed of the video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/469788-audio-2x-speed-video.html)

Ted O'Brien December 21st, 2009 10:53 AM

Audio @ 2x the speed of the video

Okay this is weird. We had a period of time last week when one of our nanoFlash units had a weird bug. My setup:

XBox 360 HDMI out @ 59.94 720p
into 1:4 HDMI splitter
one output goes to HDTV
one output goes to nanoFlash 1.1.154
onto Sandisk Extreme IV 16GB

The bug was that the audio was accelerated on the recorded file approx 2x the speed of the video. Not just out of sync. Accelerated like someone had pressed fast-forward on a tape recording. We lost half a day of recording because of this problem. Due to our setup, the operator of the nanoFlash isn't directly monitoring the HDMI output of the nanoFlash. I'm not sure if the operator would have noticed any problem even if they had been directly monitoring the HDMI output. During testing you couldn't notice any problems during the recording. Once you put the CF card into a reader and viewed the file, either in the Sony XDCam viewer or in Avid, the audio was accelerated. A power cycle of the nanoFlash cleared up the problem and it hasn't resurfaced. Any one else experience this? Any idea why this would be happening or how to avoid it in the future? Please let me know if I can assist in troubleshooting this issue. Thanks!

Marty Welk December 21st, 2009 10:45 PM

the first thing i would think if the audio was to fast, is HOW could the audio have been "collected" in real time faster than it exists to begin with :-)
so that would lead me to wonder if the frame rate of the video , that didnt match the audio, is the true problem you experienced.
So if your looking for what went wrong, look behind the audio, its hiding there in the video :-) frame rates or something.

it is likly that the PLAYBACK/edit frame rates did not properly match the recorded framerates, and it should be easily "fixed" by telling whatever program went brain dead about the frame rate, what it really was.

Dan Keaton December 22nd, 2009 07:39 AM

Dear Ted,

I am surprised by this problem. We have never experienced this before, nor had any other reports of this problem.

For troubleshooting, could you eliminate the HDMI splitter?

If possible, I would like for you to record from the XBox to the nanoFlash, then use the HDMI output of the nanoFlash to drive your monitor. Then you could listen to the sound in real time.

I would also like to know what frame rate the nanoFlash was displaying on the LCD.

Ted, please feel free to call me.

Ted O'Brien January 24th, 2010 06:51 PM

Hello again! The same problem happened again with the same nanoFlash. Unfortunately the operator reset the device before I was able to examine it. The device settings are never changed as we are only ever using one source for the video(Xbox360). I do have the original source files from the nanoFlash which exhibits this behaviour.

Mark, I would be happy to provide you with the footage to analyze but I would need an NDA signed before I could get it to you. Please let me know if you're interested in this option. If the problem appears again, the operator has explicit instructions to not reset the unit and I can run a full diagnostic.

Thanks,
Ted

Ted O'Brien January 25th, 2010 09:55 AM

So this appears to happening consistently with this unit. We never change the settings from those listed above. Power cycling the nanoFlash always fixes it. It's happened several times over the weekend when we using it heavily for production. Unfortunately I wasn't here and they had to keep power cycling the hardware to continue with production. When it happens again, I will be able to run tests. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Job January 25th, 2010 10:34 AM

Did You Want Me to Test ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted O'Brien (Post 1476719)
Hello again! The same problem happened again with the same nanoFlash. Unfortunately the operator reset the device before I was able to examine it. The device settings are never changed as we are only ever using one source for the video(Xbox360). I do have the original source files from the nanoFlash which exhibits this behaviour.

Mark, I would be happy to provide you with the footage to analyze but I would need an NDA signed before I could get it to you. Please let me know if you're interested in this option. If the problem appears again, the operator has explicit instructions to not reset the unit and I can run a full diagnostic.

Thanks,
Ted

...Hi Ted:
Are you referring to yours truly ? Do you want me to test some MXF files in Avid ? Please be advised I have a Flash XDR and not a Nano Flash unit. However, this should not be an issue. I am happy to sign any NDA. I'm used to doing this, since I'm a beta tester for other products.

Dan Keaton January 25th, 2010 10:43 AM

Dear Ted,

Have you tried eliminating the HDMI spliter from the signal path?

It appears at first glance you could go:

XBox
nanoFlash (HDMI In)
HDTV (HDMI Out)

Ted O'Brien January 25th, 2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Job (Post 1477000)
...Hi Ted:
Are you referring to yours truly ? Do you want me to test some MXF files in Avid ? Please be advised I have a Flash XDR and not a Nano Flash unit. However, this should not be an issue. I am happy to sign any NDA. I'm used to doing this, since I'm a beta tester for other products.

Hey Mark, You post here so often I forgot you don't actually work for CD. We have tested these files in Avid and they act like any other media from the nano. I'm waiting for the unit to exhibit the problem again and then we're going to capture some game footage from a game that has already been released. That way we won't need the NDA. if you're still interested in seeing the footage, I'll let you know when we have some more.

Thanks!

Ted O'Brien January 25th, 2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1477003)
Dear Ted,

Have you tried eliminating the HDMI spliter from the signal path?

It appears at first glance you could go:

XBox
nanoFlash (HDMI In)
HDTV (HDMI Out)

Thanks, Dan. I just eliminated the HDMI splitter from the equation. We'll see if the problem happens again. The operator is now monitoring the direct output of the nano. It will be interesting to see if it's passing the problem through to the monitor or if it's only happening on the recorded footage. It's happened 3 times in the past week. If it happens again, I'll run some tests and I may even call you if you're available so you can advise. Thanks CD!!!

Dan Keaton January 25th, 2010 01:42 PM

Dear Ted,

You may always call me. I try to be available 24/7 for any support issues.

I believe you have all of my phone numbers. I will send you an email with them again now.

Ted O'Brien January 25th, 2010 06:46 PM

More strangeness. After the operator reset the device(explained below), the monitor was showing abnormal colors from the HDMI output of the nano. Red was showing where there should be black. We recorded some video while the error was happening. Without ejecting or resetting the nano, we played back the recorded footage using the nano. It was normal. When we stopped playback, the nano resumed passing through the video and it was normal.

The operator reset the nano because he was experiencing abnormally long wait times from pressing of the REC button to the actual start of recording(blinking red light and TC moving). He reports that this unit does this often and he power cycles to make it go away. He is also reporting a high operating temperature. I'm comparing it vs. the other unit in that room and it does seem hotter. I will keep an eye on it and report back with any other developments.

thanks!

Dan Keaton January 25th, 2010 07:45 PM

Dear Ted,

Could you please let us know what the internal temperature of the unit or units are?

This is found in the System Menu, on the right side of the "Time" information.

This will tell us if a unit is running too hot for some unusual reason.

Mark Job January 26th, 2010 12:20 PM

Willing to Independently Test Anything :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted O'Brien (Post 1477096)
Hey Mark, You post here so often I forgot you don't actually work for CD. We have tested these files in Avid and they act like any other media from the nano. I'm waiting for the unit to exhibit the problem again and then we're going to capture some game footage from a game that has already been released. That way we won't need the NDA. if you're still interested in seeing the footage, I'll let you know when we have some more.

Thanks!

Hi Ted:
I am willing to be the control in your experimentation if you want :-) I can independently test your files in Avid Media Composer 4.0.5 on a certified Avid system. I could verify if you're getting key stone cops video effect, or if your audio is running too fast. I am beta testing a couple of different products at the same time right now, and I'm behind in my CD public beta test, but I could probably squeeze in a file or two from you if you need it :-)

Ted O'Brien January 26th, 2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1477256)
Dear Ted,

Could you please let us know what the internal temperature of the unit or units are?

This is found in the System Menu, on the right side of the "Time" information.

This will tell us if a unit is running too hot for some unusual reason.

Hey Dan,

The abnormal color from the HDMI output happened again this morning upon initial startup. Fixed it by power cycling the hardware. I did take some temp readings over 2 hours while the machines were being used this morning. The suspect unit fluctuated between 34-37 degrees centigrade while the other nano in that room was between 30-33 degrees. The suspect unit was consistently 3-5 degrees hotter than the other unit under the same environment and production load. I will notify if the suspect unit reaches a higher temperature.

Dan Keaton January 26th, 2010 06:37 PM

Dear Ted,

These temperatures are well within the normal range.

It is designed to go much higher, way higher than that.

We will be happy to repair or replace the nanoFlash.