DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   JVC HM700 and NanoFlash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/469973-jvc-hm700-nanoflash.html)

John Mitchell December 24th, 2009 09:35 AM

JVC HM700 and NanoFlash

Working straight out of the HDSDI this is an excellent combination. I pulled a chroma key that was better than anything I'd ever got with digibeta and has to be said the screen wasn't perfect. Reasonably well lit but it is just a cheapy roll of fabric purchased from a photographic store - not a proper digital chroma key colour at all.

A couple of minor hiccups to overcome in post - recording 1080i50 100Mbps longGOP in MXFformat. Timecode is out by 3 frames on the CD footage as opposed to the SD cards recorded on the camera - is there a way to address this? Timcode on the CD footage will be 3 frames "behind" the SD card. eg 00:00:00:03 on SD would be 00:00:00:00 on the CD footage. Not such a big deal unless there was a way to use the SD 35Mbps as "proxies" for the CD footage.

More importantly the audio lags by 2 frames. I suspect this is more an issue for JVC than CD but thought it worthwhile reporting in case there's a fix down the track.

Dan Keaton December 24th, 2009 11:12 AM

Dear John,

What firmware are you using?

This is found under System|About.

John Mitchell December 28th, 2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1464306)
Dear John,

What firmware are you using?

This is found under System|About.

Dan it is 1.0.112
mp2 codec 1.02.06

Dan Keaton December 28th, 2009 07:10 AM

Dear John,

We made many improvements in our firmware 1.1.154.

Could you please upgrade to the latest firmware then test again?

One of the improvements is an 18 Mbps 4:2:0 Proxy mode.

There are many others.

John Mitchell December 29th, 2009 11:56 PM

Thanks Dan - won't be back in Sydney until the 9th Jan. Will Upgrade and check then.

Stephan Mussil January 28th, 2010 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell (Post 1464275)
Working straight out of the HDSDI this is an excellent combination. I pulled a chroma key that was better than anything I'd ever got with digibeta and has to be said the screen wasn't perfect. Reasonably well lit but it is just a cheapy roll of fabric purchased from a photographic store - not a proper digital chroma key colour at all.

A couple of minor hiccups to overcome in post - recording 1080i50 100Mbps longGOP in MXFformat. Timecode is out by 3 frames on the CD footage as opposed to the SD cards recorded on the camera - is there a way to address this? Timcode on the CD footage will be 3 frames "behind" the SD card. eg 00:00:00:03 on SD would be 00:00:00:00 on the CD footage. Not such a big deal unless there was a way to use the SD 35Mbps as "proxies" for the CD footage.

More importantly the audio lags by 2 frames. I suspect this is more an issue for JVC than CD but thought it worthwhile reporting in case there's a fix down the track.

How does the triggering work?
Is that synced with the TC?

John Mitchell January 30th, 2010 07:24 PM

Triggering was set to timecode - worked well.

Dan Keaton January 31st, 2010 01:34 AM

Dear Stephen,

The nanoFlash has a menu selectable option that allows the nanoFlash to start and stop according to the incoming timecode.

If the nanoFlash sees incrementing timecode, it records. When the timecode stops, it stops recording.

This is in the System|Trigger menu.

One can set it to record based on the timecode embedded in the HD/SD-SDI input stream, or based on external timecode (LTC - Linear Time Code).

To use LTC, one needs one of our timecode, or timecode with remote control, cables to expose the Timecode Input. These cables provide a BNC timecode input for the nanoFlash.