Nanoflash bitrate selection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Nanoflash bitrate selection

I'm interested in finer control of Long GOP recording bitrate. Does the Sony codec chip allow for 5 or 10 MBps increments? Basically, I'm interested in using the Nanoflash for parallel recording with the 35 MBps Sony EX1 in a portable setup for sports with rounds of 1-3 minutes. I would like to record close to 140 MBps, but with prebuffering, the Nanoflash will run out first when a lot of shorter clips are used. Hey, I paid a lot for a Nanoflash, and I want my worth in higher bitrate. The way I've been using the Nanoflash (two 32 GB CF) +EX1 (one 16 GB SDHC) is to record until my cards, call for an intermission in the event to download the cards to two laptops for backup, then resume.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Gints,

Yes, we have very fine control over the bit-rate options.

Currently, you can record at 140 Mbps, with a 4 second pre-record buffer.

At 100 Mbps, or lower, you get 7 seconds of pre-record buffer.

You now have your choice of SanDisk, PhotoFast, or Delkin 64 GB CompactFlash cards. All quality, fully qualified cards. 64 GB cards may reduce your need to call for an intermission.
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Great. I'd like to see the finer increments in the bitrate menu. I don't mind scrolling through a lot of choices or even entering the rate in three digits with the up/down arrow keys. You've made a great product with a lot of flexibility and low operational complexity, but I think the bitrate choice is geared more towards visual difference and less towards operational constraints, namely flash card capacity.

How about an options file that is read on power up? If this file, say named useFineBitRateSelection, is present, then a bit rate menu with 10 MB increments is used in the menu. For other users that are content with a handful of bitrates, they won't be bothered.

The preroll buffer toggle method in the menu is somewhat unwieldy. It's the only menu option that's tricky to exit without undoing the selected value to exit after getting the check mark to show up.

64 GB cards are too pricey right now at the speed grades (60 MB/sec) I want. My next buy point is Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 90 MB/sec at $250. These cards do not hold their value.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; December 28th, 2009 at 12:22 AM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey