Canon 1D Mark IV playback in full hd via hdmi at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 1D Mark IV playback in full hd via hdmi

So it looks like the Canon 1d Mark IV can record at 23.98 fps at 1080p on playback during liveview. I would love to do a test but perhaps then this can go to the Nanoflash so at the end of a shoot day I can hand off to the editor footage in the XDCAM 422 qt codec instead of the horrible h.264 codec.

Does this sound about right? Makes this Canon 1D a much more valuable member of the team.
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

nevermind - looks like it can't according to the White Paper : http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...EVn8-iJqBr7K_g
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually, it looks like it can according to the whitepaper.

It does reference that hard disk recorders usually don't have an HDMI in, but from the language, it looks like it will output a 1080/60i signal out the HDMI.

Interesting, as the Nanoflash will be able to do a live reverse telecine as well :)

[EDIT] Upon reading further, it seems that although it will output 1080/60i during recording, the image will appear in a 4:3 aspect ratio within the 16x9. Which will mean actual video resolution is lower.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Major Player

We need to remember that Canon needed to "disable" a number of features to prevent the cameras from being considered video devices for purposes of EU taxes and duties.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Major Player

If Canon were to allow HDMI recording at full frame / resolution, that would seriously impact their HDV camera sales. Those HDV cameras go for twice the price and honestly, I couldn't see myself buying an HDV camera if I could get full raster, big sensor performance in a DSLR for 1/4 of the price.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Wrangler

Having used the pre-release 1D's, I can confirm that the live image is reduced in size, similar to the 7D. And like that camera (and unlike the 5D), it doesn't switch display dimensions when recording is started.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey