DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Fragile display screen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/470250-fragile-display-screen.html)

Piotr Wozniacki December 31st, 2009 01:21 AM

Fragile display screen

Dan,

The nanoFlash being a truly wonderful device, one thing I find surprisingly odd considering its otherwise great build quality: the LCD display screen is very soft, and easy to scratch even with your fingernails (not to mention with some metal parts, when handled in the heat of action in the field).

My question is: can the screen be easily replaced, or is it necessary to send the nanoFlash over to CD when it gets damaged? It's especially important to us EU users, as sending a device like this back and forth inflicts a lot of cost, and hassle with the customs...

Paul Inglis December 31st, 2009 07:07 AM

I was thinking about one of those screen protectors that you can use on monitors and cut it to size. In my opinion they would do a sterling job and actually can protect it from impacts as great as 4kgs in some instances! Not too mention scratches, knocks and bangs!

Dan Keaton December 31st, 2009 07:56 AM

Dear Piotr,

The LCD, itself, is mounted under the Keypad with transparent LCD protector.

Yes, this protector can be scratched, so reasonable care is expected.

The protector, and keypad, can be replaced, but we do not consider this a user replacable item. But, if necessary and appropriate, we may be able to send out just the Keypad with the LCD protector with instructions on how to replace it.

Thus, one can not harm the LCD itself, under reasonable conditions, but one can harm the LCD protector.

If you wish, you could add another layer of protection.

Paul Inglis December 31st, 2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1466487)
The protector, and keypad, can be replaced, but we do not consider this a user replacable item. But, if necessary and appropriate, we may be able to send out just the Keypad with the LCD protector with instructions on how to replace it.

That's good to know!

I'm looking for a hard case to place the nanoFLASH in during transit (such as a Peli) as 95% of my work takes place in the rugged outdoor environment!

I am having a raincover with vents made specially for the nanoFLASH in camo :)

Piotr Wozniacki December 31st, 2009 08:44 AM

Paul,

I'm trying to source the screen protector here in Poland, but haven't had much luck (this market is still not a very matured one). And, it's already one tiny scratch too late for me :)

Dan,

Thanks for the info; it's good to know that should anything more serious happen (although I'm extremely cautious now, after my "first scratch waring), there will be some possibility to make it look like a new one again :)

Gints Klimanis January 1st, 2010 01:23 AM

Piotr, Are you talking about those adhesive screen protectors sold for Palm Pilot-type PDA products ? I cut them to size and used them for the LCDs on my Nikon D2H, although the protector did interfere with legibility.

I've been keeping the Nanoflash in a zippable pouch that mounts on my belt. The battery cable runs to the battery in my jacket, though the SDI connector keeps me tethered to the camera. It's easy enough to disconnect the SDI cable on the Nano side when needed.

Dan Keaton January 1st, 2010 04:57 AM

Dear Gints,

I recommend that you attach a short HD-SDI cable to the nanoFlash, then add a barrel connector. Then connect the cable from the camera to the barrel connector.

This will save wear and tear on the BNC connector on the nanoFlash.

Giroud Francois January 1st, 2010 05:39 AM

you will easily find a screen protector in any shop selling iphones and accessories.

Jeff Silverman January 1st, 2010 07:19 PM

Dan said,

"I recommend that you attach a short HD-SDI cable to the nanoFlash, then add a barrel connector. Then connect the cable from the camera to the barrel connector.

This will save wear and tear on the BNC connector on the nanoFlash."

With due respect to the vast majority of good advice Dan has suggested, this is some of the worst advice I have ever heard (And a rehash of advice given about a year ago).

1. If there is any way to stress out a connector which is directly attached to a circuit board inside the NanoFlash, this is it. The added connector most certainly increases the force imparted on the connector during transport. During actual use it is not common to be constantly connecting and disconnecting the BNC connector so the short cable is normally unnecessary.
2. Barrel connectors are almost always the first point of failure with video connections. The fewer barrel connectors the better.
3. While the BNC connectors in the NanoFlash are rated for about 500 cycles, it is likely they will last much longer than that. It is not frequent that people are replacing chassis mount BNC connectors on professional video equipment equipment, even on some other equipment which is connected and disconnected daily. Outright abuse is a different issue.
4. The staff from CD in Colorado Springs also does not agree with this advice. (or at least they didn't months ago when you suggested this)

I appreciate most of the advice which Dan has been kind enough to share. I suggest you ignore this advice.

Jeff

Olof Ekbergh January 1st, 2010 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The connector recommended for the NanoFlash is a 90º connector, and this makes a lot of sense. It does not really add any stress.

Below is a photo of the 90º connector attached to my NanoFlash arm on an EX1 with a Swit battery. You may also notice the small on/off switch on the NanoFlash power cable.

These parts are available at:EX1 Stronger Plates

Custom cables etc can be ordered by contacting me:
olof@westsideav.com

Dan Keaton January 1st, 2010 09:44 PM

Dear Gints and Jeff,

Jeff and I disagree on this one, it is very easy for two reasonable people to have different opinions.

Gints, you mentioned that you had a zippered pouch for the nanoFlash.

Thus, it appears that you have to unzip the pouch everytime that you want to disconnect.

I was recommending that you add a short BNC cable to make this easier.

One could use a barrel connector, or a short Male BNC to Female BNC cable, which would eliminate the barrel connector.

Having the very flexible BNC cable outside of the zipperd pouch makes sense to me for ease of use.

Gints, We can make a custom Male BNC to Female BNC for you if you want to try it out.

Jeff Silverman January 1st, 2010 10:08 PM

Olof,

What Dan is and has been suggesting is that you keep the connector attached during transport from job to job and that is where I have issues with his advice. Obviously during use you are going to have something connected.

I will mention though that 90 deg connectors are even more prone to failure than barrels. It's fine because it is convenient, but if you have problems it would be the first thing I remove.

Jeff

Paul Inglis January 2nd, 2010 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1466500)
Paul,

I'm trying to source the screen protector here in Poland, but haven't had much luck (this market is still not a very matured one). And, it's already one tiny scratch too late for me :)

Hi Piotr,

My Swit Monitor came with a couple of protectors. However, this company produces a wide range of sizes! No Scratches on any Screen Ever!.

Piotr Wozniacki January 2nd, 2010 06:21 AM

Paul,

Thanks for the link. BTW, have you applied the protection on you Swit monitor screen? If so, does at affect visibility in any adverse way?

Paul Inglis January 2nd, 2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1467032)
Paul,

Thanks for the link. BTW, have you applied the protection on you Swit monitor screen? If so, does at affect visibility in any adverse way?

Hi Piotr,

Yes I have put a protector on my Swit. It doesn’t appear to have made any difference to the IQ, however without placing a second monitor (which I don’t have) without a protector on for a side by side comparison it is difficult to ascertain. The protector came with the monitor when I purchased it.

I decided to put it on as I’m working on a project in a rather harsh outdoor environment. I am suffering gale force winds, rain and snow in salt air. The protector is quite easy to peel off and replace in due course.