DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Nano Flash mount for PMW-350 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/470685-nano-flash-mount-pmw-350-a.html)

Paul Cronin January 8th, 2010 07:09 PM

Nano Flash mount for PMW-350

8 Attachment(s)
I have been working with Olof Ekbergh of Westside AV Studios a DVinfo.net sponsor who builds mounts along with cables and lots of other gear. We talked a month ago about doing a nano mount for my new camera. Now that I have the camera we went from mock up to finished product in three days.

My requirements were to have it off the back using the strong tapped holes in the top of the camera behind the wireless slot. Olof suggested we add some arms so I could mount my wireless up top and who knows what else on the sides. Here are some quick shots I just took of the rig.

One thing Olof will change is the distance from the back of the battery. It could be 1/2" less and still work fine. The battery comes on and off easy.

Mark Job January 8th, 2010 11:40 PM

Quality Work

Dear Paul:
This is very nice engineering and quality work !

Dave Chalmers January 9th, 2010 12:40 AM

Interesting

This is very interesting guys. The 350 is crying out for a nanoflash combo so I've been mulling over how to do this. The other idea I had was a v-lok cage where the nano sits between the cam and batt and the nano can slide up to see the UI or something.

Would be a bit more complex to build.

All good stuff.

Dave

Paul Cronin January 9th, 2010 05:19 AM

Thanks Mark but Olof gets the credit he does great work.

Dave I was more interested in just mounting my battery on the camera and keeping weight forward.

David Issko January 9th, 2010 06:01 AM

This reminds me of my old DXCD50/PVV1 DVCAM camera & my Sony radio mic. Sony had a V-Lock mount accessory for the receiver that was screwed into the back of the recorder, which wrapped around the battery. The receiver was housed in a tight fitting pouch with a V-Lock fitting.

The battery could be accessed as normal and the receiver was mounted behind the battery. A very good solution. Does the PMW-350 have any mounting screw holes at the rear along the edges? If so, a similar mount could be made or perhaps purchased and a V-Lock connector attached to the nanoflash.

But then again, seeing Olof (and his team???) has already come up with a solution.......
Hope it all goes well for you and Olof.

Paul Cronin January 9th, 2010 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
David Olof is the man here I am just the lucky person to have his first mount so I can put the camera to work.

I think the simple setup is nice. There is an aluminum structure on the top back of the camera that has four tapped holes keeping the process simple. Two are 4mm and two are 2mm so there is plenty of strength.

The addition of arms going up or down each side is very nice. I may just use the top cold shoe for my wireless and keep the side arms off. Nice to have options.

Attached is a picture of the tapped holes on the camera.

David Issko January 10th, 2010 02:03 AM

Thanks for the info & photo Paul.

I just had a look at the photos on the brochure and the back of the camera body has quite a few tapped holes, presumably for many mounting options. Just curious.

Best wishes

Paul Cronin January 10th, 2010 05:31 AM

I can send along a picture of the back if you like?

David Issko January 10th, 2010 08:40 PM

Only if it's not too much bother Paul.
Thanks very much

Lance Librandi January 11th, 2010 02:19 AM

Hello David I think your right they have used the same Vlock mount as the DXC series. The problem with using a Vmount system is gaining access to the card slots and screen to change settings. I had a nNovia QuickCapture unit which had a great Vlock mount but the screen and HDU access was on top with cable connection on the bottom.

Paul Cronin January 11th, 2010 05:09 AM

will send it along later today.

Paul Cronin January 11th, 2010 07:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
David here you go two shots of the back of the camera with battery off. Let me know if you see what you need here if not I will remove the Nano mount and take a picture of what you need.

Paul Cronin January 11th, 2010 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some stills from the 350 with Nano mount and new Vinten tripod setup working sunset last night. Other stills here in the Tripod Thread.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-...ec-sticks.html

David Issko January 12th, 2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1470741)
David here you go two shots of the back of the camera with battery off. Let me know if you see what you need here if not I will remove the Nano mount and take a picture of what you need.

Thanks Paul,

The 2 lowest holes on the LHS and the 2 offset slightly upwards on the RHS (in photo 2) are in the same position as the V-Lock bracket I have. Should fit perfectly. Only thing is that I don't have a PMW-350 camera.

How does the stock lens perform?

David Issko January 12th, 2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Librandi (Post 1470681)
Hello David I think your right they have used the same Vlock mount as the DXC series. The problem with using a Vmount system is gaining access to the card slots and screen to change settings. I had a nNovia QuickCapture unit which had a great Vlock mount but the screen and HDU access was on top with cable connection on the bottom.

The mount that I have is a Sony mount and has been designed to stay well clear of everything. All that would be needed is a V-Lock mount attached to the back of the nano and clip into place behind the battery, not unlike Olof's design that Paul is using so well.

I have the mounting plate for the back of the nano with no less than 29 holes for mounting almost anything you like!!!