My Rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My Rig

1st photo post. Let me give this a try.

Jim Bridges
Type A Media
Type A Media, Atlanta, Georgia
Attached Thumbnails
My Rig-nanoflashcamera.jpg  
Jim Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Nice Rig

Hi Jim:
You have a nice rig. I was wondering if the arm you use to support your Nano Flash is strong enough to hold a Flash XDR ? Where did you obtain that support arm from ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Hello Mark,
I use the same Manfrotto 823 hydrostatic arm which is the one on the front of the camera and it support my diecast monitor with a heavy 126 watt Swit Vlock battery weighing over 2kgs (4lbs) and it holds it nicely, the Flash XDR is 2.7 lbs. For tripod mount use the hydrostatic arm mounted to the bottom of the VCT-U14 camera plate and with the articulated arm allows the monitor or NanoFlash to be positioned parallel to the lens so it is always in full view, it's a great grip.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Jim:
You have a nice rig. I was wondering if the arm you use to support your Nano Flash is strong enough to hold a Flash XDR ? Where did you obtain that support arm from ?
Hey Mark,
The arm the NanoFlash is on is a Noga Cine arm, it is rated at 10lbs. I had a Panasonic 8.4" HD monitor with a AB Dionic 90 and reached the weight limit. Fine for studio though-handheld the arm "flops".

I would think with the XDR ,if you arm handholding, I would get the heavier Manfrotto hydrostatic arm. It seems to me that the mass and inertia from moving this would be best.(arm pictured on the front of my camera not being used).
With this arm I have an aluminum adapter block that screws into the handle. This can be purchased from AbelCine. I use the Manfrotto arm for my 8.4" monitor when hand-holding.
BTW Mark, I should also add, the larger Manfrotto arm is 1/4" , I am not sure what the XDR has.
Jim Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Mark - if I remember correctly you are working a Canon XLH1.

Dan Keaton's group makes a superb mount for the XDR and that camera. We own it and are very happy with it.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just a thought...I've adapted all my accessory cables to Anton/Bauer d-tap. On-board monitor, nanoflash, wireless transmitter/receivers, ring light etc all go to d-tap. Using the Anton/Bauer 4-to-1 d-tap adapter you can power everything from either the power supply of battery you have mounted on the back of the camera.

It does put more of a load on a single battery but I'd rather have an extra weight of additional batteries in the battery bag than on the camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey