128 Gb Compact Flash soon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 14th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Major Player

128 Gb Compact Flash soon

Silicon Power Announces 400X 128GB Compact Flash Memory Card :: News :: www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Usually, do the Silicon Power's Compact Flash cards work fine with the Nano or XDR ?
However, I hope this will make decrease the 64Gb card price! :)
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Ronan,

We do expect 128 GB CompactFlash cards to be delivered this year, from multiple manufacturers. Last year, approximately four manufacturers told us that 128 GB CompactFlash cards were expected this year.

However, we do not know the price from any manufacturer.

Currently two 64 GB cards, at 50 Mbps, gives approximately 5.3 hours of continuous record time.
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Trustee

Read & Write Errors On CF Card Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier View Post
Silicon Power Announces 400X 128GB Compact Flash Memory Card :: News :: www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Usually, do the Silicon Power's Compact Flash cards work fine with the Nano or XDR ?
However, I hope this will make decrease the 64Gb card price! :)
Salut Roland et Dan: I have theorized that at least *some* of the funky playback errors I have been experiencing in my Flash XDR stem from earlier CF card technology not having certain controller algorithms built into it.

"It also comes with Error Correction Code (ECC) functionality for data accuracy and it utilizes Wear Leveling technology to prolong the product lifespan."

I wonder if the only thing going for the Sandisk Extreme III and Extreme IV card's is their speed alone. (???) I was wondering if random errors come from CF card technology with not enough error correction technology built into the controller ????????????????
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

I think that ECC is fairly standard in all of our qualified cards, as is wear-leveling.

I know that some of your previous problems with CompactFlash cards were due to you recording at a high-bit rate than what we allowed for certain cards.
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Trustee

CF Card Playback Issues

Hi Dan:
Yes. I think that was the problem this time, but I've had other problems before with random playback issues of speed changes and audio crunching noises, which were corrected by pressing stop and hitting play once again. Of course, this problem shouldn't have happened the first time I hit play. I've never had speed changes or audio crunching noises on the Extreme IV cards. I only had this problem on one of my Extreme III 32 GB cards. Perhaps all CF media possess the necessary error correction and wear level technology required, but not all CF card batches may be created equal. (??) I understand it is possible to get a bad CF card. I've largely ignored the issue, since even with the playback anomalies in the XDR occasionally occurring, once the clips are imported directly from the CF media in my FCP 7.x or in Avid Media Composer, the raw recorded MXF files themselves play normally :-) (Yay !)

EDIT: Oops ! It's .mov in Final Cut ;-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Mark, I work in the consumer electronics space (Apple iPod) in which devices are shipped with flash memory. There are a lot of problems with this manufacturer or that regarding the timing of their controllers during continuous recording of audio or video at data rates much lower than the Nano, their data "whitening" algorithms, and particularly, performance and errors as memory capacity is reached.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Trustee

Flash Media Controller Technology

Hi Gints:
Yes, this is what I was wondering. I know there are three major manufacturers of Hard drives who are having major SSD memory controller nightmares in R & D for the next major Sata III interface to new SSD 600 Plus MB per second drives. The problems are not so much based in the memory itself as it is in the embedded or peripheral controllers. I know the manufacturers of CF cards are trying everything to improve write and read integrity, so something's not all roses and beauxcays in that territory ;-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey