NanoFlash & Red at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NanoFlash & Red

I have a RED shoot in 2 weeks, has anyone used the 720p output to record on the Nanoflash?
If so, did you have the manually record from the NF?
What bit-rate did you use?

I am hoping to use this as a back-up recorder.
Thanks for any help on this.
Jim Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Jim,

What is the System Build Number of the Red?

It is my understanding that the viewfinder port used to be only 720p, and not very good quality.

With later builds, I have heard that the viewfinder HD-SDI port was increased to 1080.
(I have not confirmed this information, input from Red users would be appreciated.)
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just had a job that had to shoot on RED using build 20 last week. The HDSDI ports were 720p and looked crap-tastic. Also keep in mind that the outputs have a LUT applied so they're not an ideal source for backup recording as you'd essentially be getting the quality of the high-res proxy file the RED produces.

If you're worried about data integrity (as you should when shooting RED) I'd shoot on flash cards only. I've had that REDdrive corrupt files while just shooting charts in a test bay. Once you unload the card your DMT can double backup the files.

<dry humor>
I should qualify my post by saying that RED is the hands-down most error prone, least reliable camera I have ever used. May it burn in hell.
</dry humor>
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Jim,

I can add to Paul's post.

In my opinion, the HD-SDI output on the Red was designed as a Viewfinder output, not as a high-quality live output so one can record via a device like the nanoFlash.

I mean no offense to the Red and their team. Unlesss one is recording at 1920 x 1080 in the Red (unlikely), the HD-SDI output, has to be a downconverted output, so quality has to be lost anyway.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Trustee

When Half Baked Products Never Finish Baking

Hi Jeff:
Yeah, I'm hearing horror story after horror story about the Red One camera, and how pretty much every other high end camera is beating it. (i.e. Viper, Sony's New HDCAM SR + 2K camera). It looks like they may have run out of cash to finish the product development again. All the other cool looking cameras on the REd website don't actually exist. We were so tempted to release our SD recorder half baked as well and let others beta it, but we've decided that at the end of the day it's better to keep it in the garage and wait the extra 18 months until it's ready before letting it out to the world. The problem with doing that is we fear their won't be a market left for our (Product ? Hobby Project ?) by the time we finish.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Major Player

No matter how crappy you think the RED camera is,... make no mistake... they will NEVER run out of money.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input everyone.
Dan I am not sure of build number at this time-I will effort this when my Cam asst. and I check out some lenses. I am going to do a test.
I just saw "The Book of Eli", craptastic film!, Denzel can do better!
I am tired of seeing 2K DI's transferred to film and projected-way to soft for me(another discussion for another day).
I am hoping to use my Nanoflash for a quick timecode/video reference for editing in the field. We will be in a remote area without a DIT.
Jim Bridges is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey