DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Exporting AVID MXF to Nanoflash?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/471141-exporting-avid-mxf-nanoflash.html)

Emanuel Altenburger January 16th, 2010 01:30 PM

Exporting AVID MXF to Nanoflash?!

Hi guys,

is there an easy way of exporting a nanoflash playable/compatible MXF file out of Avid? I know that you can export MXF files out of Avid in different flavours (like 35Mbit/50Mbits). The files play back on my camera nicely but Iīd be interested in copying the files directly onto Nanoflash for playback.

Thanks so much,
Emanuel

Dan Keaton January 16th, 2010 01:51 PM

Dear Emanuel,

No, not at this time.

We have a way to do it for Final Cut Pro at this time, but not for Avid.

If you have an HD-SDI output on your Avid system, then just record from that.
However, I assume that your question was how to do it if you did not have HD-SDI or HDMI out.

Dan Keaton January 16th, 2010 01:55 PM

Dear Emanuel,

We have not tested this, but if you can create a Sony XDCam 50 Mbps CBR file, from Avid, in Quicktime format, our File Converter may work.

However, this is a long shot since we have not tested it.

Emanuel Altenburger January 16th, 2010 04:01 PM

Iīll test that and report back. Thanks for your quick reply!

Dan Keaton January 16th, 2010 06:57 PM

Dear Emanuel,

Thanks, that would be helpful.

Emanuel Altenburger February 13th, 2010 08:15 AM

Hi Dan,

unfortunately that didnīt work here. The MOV was not accepted by the CD file converter.
Also, exporting an MXF directly out of AVID, rename it to Nanoflash standards, doesnīt correctly take it - it shows it as 480p59 on the Nanoflash, even though itīs been rendered out of a HD 50i project. This could however also be related to the fact that Nanoflash supports only 2 tracks of audio at the moment and the XDCAM sequence out of AVID has 8 embedded audio tracks. The exported MXF plays fine in XDCAM transfer and when reimporting into a new project but Nanoflash doesnīt like it. I wonder whether there might be a chance for compatibility with the new firmware supporting more audio tracks?!

Would be great if a feature like this was implemented soon.

Dan Keaton February 13th, 2010 08:50 AM

Dear Emanuel,

Yes, it was a long shot.

Do you have any way to play an Avid timeline to HD-SDI or HDMI?

If so, you could record the file in the nanoFlash.

Bill Ward February 13th, 2010 12:17 PM

Emanuel: did you try doing an audio and video mixdown before export? Just a thought...

Emanuel Altenburger February 14th, 2010 05:56 AM

Hi Bill,
will try that first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for that! Am already curious.

Dan,
at the moment unfortunately not. But am seriously thinking of upgrading to something like the Mojo-DX.

Emanuel Altenburger July 6th, 2011 12:30 AM

Re: Exporting AVID MXF to Nanoflash?!

We are monitoring our projects on a Matrox MXO2 Mini at the moment. So we do have HDMI out which works perfectly well on our monitors. However, the Nanoflash obviously sees our Avid video stream as an encrypted signal and downconverts to 480p or doesnīt even allow us to record at all. Sometimes it would be nice to record a stream of video straight out of the AVID as a reference. We wonīt use it for proper finishing anyway, but the Nanoflash blocks our HDMI out from the MXO2Mini. I guess thatīs because the Nanoflash thinks it is encrypted material, am I right?

Thanks!

Dan Keaton July 6th, 2011 04:33 AM

Dear Emanuel,

If the "Broadcast Flag" is set (in the signal output by Avid), then your Maxtrox gear has to determine the type of device it is.

Then, it will downconvert to a SD signal, if the external device is a recorder.

Could you check with Avid and/or Matrox? If this is your material, the Broadcast Flag should not be set, and we should be able to record your video.

Andy Mangrum July 6th, 2011 10:14 AM

Hello Emanuel,

To add to what Dan had mentioned this would be a function of the Maxtorx or the Avid System,

since the nanoFlash cannot up or down convert the signal that is given to us (Due to hardware constraints)

But this should work just fine, In our Lab we have used HDMI and SDI cards with the nanoFlash and it has worked with no issue (Also note this is with Final Cut 7)

But I will try to do a test with the same card and Avid 5.5

Best Regards

Tom Loftus September 22nd, 2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1473285)
Dear Emanuel,

No, not at this time.

We have a way to do it for Final Cut Pro at this time, but not for Avid.

If you have an HD-SDI output on your Avid system, then just record from that.
However, I assume that your question was how to do it if you did not have HD-SDI or HDMI out.

I'm sorry to resurrect a long dormant thread, but I would like to know if there are any plans to allow Avid exported XDCam mxf files to play on nanoflash. I know we can baseband record out, but a file-based method would be faster and more convenient (especially for multiple long clips like a looping background element).

Any updates on this workflow is appreciated, and if anyone has developed a workaround to playing xdcam mxf files exported from Avid on a nanoflash I would be very interesting in hearing it.

Thanks for reading.

Bruce Rawlings September 22nd, 2012 11:57 AM

I would think the file will have to be exported as Sony XDcam files for it to possibly work. How would the Nano create its TOC folder?

Samer Aslan September 22nd, 2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emanuel Altenburger (Post 1664765)
We are monitoring our projects on a Matrox MXO2 Mini at the moment. So we do have HDMI out which works perfectly well on our monitors. However, the Nanoflash obviously sees our Avid video stream as an encrypted signal and downconverts to 480p or doesnīt even allow us to record at all. Sometimes it would be nice to record a stream of video straight out of the AVID as a reference. We wonīt use it for proper finishing anyway, but the Nanoflash blocks our HDMI out from the MXO2Mini. I guess thatīs because the Nanoflash thinks it is encrypted material, am I right?

Thanks!

Hi Emanuel, i remember that i did record to nano from my MXO2 mini and that was with avid 5.5. Now i have MC6 and i can check that again if you like... but i'm sure i have done it different times, but if i remember correctly it was with another firmware (nano) and not the last one...now we are waiting for the new nano flash firmware..hope it will come sooooon!!!!
regards
Samer