DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   NanoFlash defaults to 4x3 the picture format in SD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/471160-nanoflash-defaults-4x3-picture-format-sd.html)

Lance Librandi January 16th, 2010 09:01 PM

NanoFlash defaults to 4x3 the picture format in SD

Hello Dan,
My NanoFlash is set to SD 16x9 when I record a time-lapse sequence in SD the picture format defaults to 4x3, any idea why this is so?
The quick fix for FCP is to check the files in the bin after import to ensure the anamorphic column is ticked before putting the file on the timeline.

Daniel Epstein January 16th, 2010 09:38 PM

Lance,
How are you viewing the files.This sounds like an Apple Quicktime issue. If you are looking at a file withquicktime then the viewer is squeezing the image because the pixel ratio is 4:3 and quicktime often doesn't read the anamorphic flag. If you import the files into FCP make sure your settings are set to anamorphic and the files should look correct in FCP.

Rafael Amador January 17th, 2010 09:53 AM

Right.
Except in "special occasions" QT display everything with Square pixels.
Open the "Movie Properties" (Comm-J) and in "Presentation" try checking "Production" or "Clean".
You could try to change the display in Video Track> Visual Setting, but BE CAREFUL.
This change the properties of the clip and back in FC the clips may be recognized with the new properties (change in size and pixels aspect).
Rafael

Lance Librandi January 17th, 2010 03:04 PM

Hello Daniel & Rafael,
FCP settings are set to anamorphic on when I import the file the anamorphic flag is missing. This only occurs with SD time-lapse files, standard SD 50Mbps QT files import correctly into FCP.

Leonard Levy January 17th, 2010 04:59 PM

Lance,

Look down to the post Nanoflash + SDX900. I have the same issue with Nanoflash files shot at normal speed with an SDX900. But you're saying that you don't have that problem on your SD files?

What camera are you using and what codec is the camera set to record in?

Also are you files 720x486 or 720x480?

Rafael,
I just tried this with my QT files from the other post about nano and SDX900.
Checking Clean made the image appear anamorphic in QT and changed the the visual setting on the movie track to read 960x486.
However when I dragged it into FCP it still appeared as 720x486 and was not anamorphic.

Lenny Levy

Lance Librandi January 18th, 2010 12:41 AM

Hello Leonard,
My SD camera is a Sony DXC-D35WSP with a DSR-1P DVCAM back recording in Pal 720x576 in Anamorphic 16:9 . I take Y/C and audio out of the camera and feed it to a Declink mini analogue to SDI converter and then feed the SDI out to the NanoFlash. I use this camera for SD work as it still produces better quality SD DVD than down converting HD to DVD which I am still having problems getting good quality DVD. I have now edited over 20 hours of SD from the Nanoflash without any problem except for time-laps files.

Leonard Levy January 18th, 2010 01:45 AM

Lance, You don't record the time lapse with that camera do you?

Lance Librandi January 18th, 2010 05:05 AM

Hello Leonard,
Yes I sure do and it works very well the camera has a great lens on it worth more than my EX3.

Leonard Levy January 18th, 2010 02:20 PM

OH I guess its the Nano that does the time lapse then, not the camera.

Lance Librandi January 18th, 2010 04:29 PM

Hey Leonard,
Your right it's the NanoFlash that records the time-lapse sequence it will be interesting when CD introduce over & under cranking which will make SD camera a lot more versatile and extend their service life.