DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Audio & Power Questions for Nano (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/471508-audio-power-questions-nano.html)

Steve Kalle January 22nd, 2010 08:20 PM

Audio & Power Questions for Nano

I need to make sure I have everything needed for a Nano that I am ordering next week.

I will order:
-Swit S-8U62 battery
-Olof's (WestsideAV) EX1 Plate & Wing w/2 hotshoes, Nanoflash Arms and Large & Small Shoulder Brace
-3' SDI cable (to go from EX1 SDI to Nano)
-25' SDI cable (to go from Nano SDI to Panasonic BT-LH1710W)
-2 32GB Sandisk 400x CF cards

Question #1: what cable do I need to power the Nano from the Swit battery?

#2: is it better to use "Canare" BNC cables? B&H has a $30 3' Canare BNC cable versus an $11 3' Comprehensive BNC cable.

#3: I will have 2 Sony wireless mic's and sometimes use a shotgun mic in addition to the 2 wireless units. Can I run one of the wireless line outs into the Nano and use the EX1's 2 XLR inputs for the 2nd wireless and shotgun?

Thanks

Barry J. Weckesser January 22nd, 2010 09:25 PM

Steve - I can't give advise on all your questions but I would strongly suggest you give Olof a call and discuss your needs - he can make up just about any sort of cable you would need and he could give you a better idea of what the lengths, types of connections etc. should be.

I have 2 of the Swit S-8U62 batteries but I would suggest you consider this battery: Switronix | EX-L96 14.4v 96W Lithium-Ion Battery Pack | EX-L96

I just received (today) the final components of the system you describe from Olof (I already had the baseplate). With the larger battery you can either use it with what he calls his "lean" shoulder mount system and power both the Nano and the camera. However, with the longer (larger) shoulder brace you can velcro the Switronix battery to the larger mount (as seen on the photos on his website) and it does give the whole system a more balanced feel. You can then use the standard Sony battery in the camera and use the Switronix battery to power the Nano and other items (in my case a Comer 1800 on camera light). I sent Olof the D-tap cable that came with the Comer and he modified it to have two wires coming out of the same D-tap - one short one about 9" to go to the Nano and another one about 30" to go to the light.

What I really like about this system is that you can keep the smaller shoulder mount permanently on the camera and it fits fine in my camera bag (Think Tank) and the longer shoulder mount also fits well (even with the Switronix attached) - obviously, it needs to be detached from the smaller mount to fit.

Gints Klimanis January 24th, 2010 06:04 PM

Barry, is the battery life indicator on the Swit EX-L96 reasonably accurate? I have the Swit S-8U62, and its indictor goes to zero after about 45 minutes of use even though this battery will power an EX1 and Nanoflash for about three hours. For that reason alone, I would prefer to use a D-tap adapter so that I can use the two Sony batteries I already own.

Barry J. Weckesser January 25th, 2010 02:41 PM

The Switronix El 96 does the same thing - have to go by voltage reading which show up in the viewfinder/LCD screen.

David Issko January 26th, 2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1475964)
I will order:
-Swit S-8U62 battery

Question #1: what cable do I need to power the Nano from the Swit battery?

D-Tap to Hirose cable (get 2 of them) available from CD.