DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Mounting a nanoFLASH on V Mount Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/471645-mounting-nanoflash-v-mount-batteries.html)

Paul Inglis January 25th, 2010 08:36 AM

Mounting a nanoFLASH on V Mount Batteries

I have been looking for a mount that can place the nanoFLASH on my IDX ENDURA-10 Batteries. I think I’ve finally found it!!! Take a look at the Instruction Manual for the IDX A-MWR Universal Wireless Receiver Mounting Bracket.

I’m not sure of the price yet but it looks like the ticket! If anyone has tried it please let me know your thoughts!

Happy shooting,

Paul

Lance Librandi January 26th, 2010 05:47 AM

Thanks Paul that's a great find just what I need.

Paul Inglis January 27th, 2010 11:18 AM

Hi Lance,

Me too :-) I am hoping to get my hands on one ASAP so I'll let you know how i get on!

Paul Inglis February 14th, 2010 08:14 AM

Okay for those of you interested in mounting the nanoFLASH off the back of your V-Mount Batteries here’s my off-the-shelf solution! I have finally got my hands on the IDX A-MWR. I don’t know how to post images here so here’s a link to my blog post entitled ‘My ultimate nanoFLASH Set-Up’ which has three images of the set-up.

Paul Cronin February 14th, 2010 04:34 PM

Paul looks nice. How stiff is the bracket?

Paul Inglis February 15th, 2010 07:07 AM

Hi Paul,

The bracket is very rigid and well made; more than up to the job of securing a nano plus a large receiver. If anything I’d say the weakest link is the V Mount itself (if you could say that is weak).

How are you finding the PMW-350 / nano combo?

Paul Cronin February 15th, 2010 07:48 AM

Thanks Paul,

It looks stiff.

Then Nano/350 combo is fantastic. Test Canon HJ and Fujinon HA glass this week which will be a step up from the stock lens.

Have you been happy with the purchase? Are you using stock glass or have you sprung for then next step up?

Paul Inglis February 15th, 2010 08:37 AM

Hi Paul,

I haven't yet purchased the PMW-350 and a second nano. I am hoping early April :-)

I'm thinking of getting just the body and putting what I've saved on the stock lens into a quality HD lens (hoping for a good deal, hence why I'm waiting a little, plus I don't actually need the cam until late July, so no rush).

I've seen some very clean 350/nano files in low light compared to my EX3/nano which is my main reason for the to be purchase (mind you having a 2/3" full shoulder mounted cam will also be a very nice addition!).

Paul Cronin February 15th, 2010 09:24 AM

Agree Paul the image is very clean from the 350/nano. I only checked the SxS files a couple of times since I always use the Nano files and they were also very nice.

Good move going for better glass but I also think the stock lens is worth buying. For the money is works well and if you have a job were the lens could get beat up it will come out of my bag. Also the rarely needed auto focus might come in handy. I used the auto focus last week when I had to leave the camera running while going to another camera to run and switched on the auto focus. The camera did a decent job of staying focused on the movement in the frame.

Having the EX3/350/Nano is a nice combination.

Paul Inglis February 18th, 2010 06:51 AM

Hi Paul,

Yes having a stock lens with the ability to auto-focus maybe something worth having at times. I suppose it isn’t that expensive in the scheme of things! Cheap enough to get beaten up to :-) I had a friend who was filming otters with a rented EX3 and one took a chuck out of his lens hood!

I totally agree having the Ex3/350/nano combo will be awesome! We’ve never have it so good!

Paul Inglis February 18th, 2010 06:57 AM

Just a quick update for all those that are interested! I have put a Manfrotto 394 Quick Release Adaptor ‘Low Profile’ between the A-MWR and the nanoFLASH. This is great as now I don’t have to keep screwing it in and out. It’s just a case of click in place and shifting a lever to release it!

I am hoping to put some images up on my blog later this week or at the weekend showing the QR system! IMO this is definitely the best mounting option I’ve tried (and I’ve tried quite a few!).

Lance Librandi February 18th, 2010 07:08 AM

Hi Paul,
Can you let us know who sell's the bracket and how much?
Many thanks

Paul Inglis February 18th, 2010 07:30 AM

Hi Lance,

Well here in the UK it can be bought from Siren Technology for £258.50 (including VAT). It’s a fairly new product that is filtering through and I’m sure that any IDX Stockist could get you one in for a special order. I know it isn’t showing on the Able Cine or B&H Websites but I’m sure it will soon. I see that Adorama have it on their website for $259.95 though.