clip numbering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 6th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Inner Circle

clip numbering

Today I noticed for the first time, that when I recorded a session long enough for my nanoFlash to fill card1 and start on card2, apart from the usual }clp{ folder, there is a }STT{ file of 1kb is created on the card2; what is it?

Also, clip numbering starts with 013 (i.e. the very first clip on the card1 is named 0101301) - why is that? Why not just 0100101? Never paid much attention to this before, so this is a dumb question - sorry:)
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

We create the STT file, usually when we format the card. This contains shorthand information for the nanoFlash, information about this specific CompactFlash card.

The Clip Number starts with 001 when you first get the nanoFlash.

Then, for every "Clip" (a single recording from start to finish), has the same clip number.
The file number, will increment also, this starts with 001 for the first file in a clip (a recording).

The filename is UUCCCFFF followed by ".MOV", ".MXF", or ".MPG".

The UU is the Unit ID, CCC is the Clip Number, FFF is the file number within the clip.

We increment the clip number automatically, and it is saved in non-volatile memory, so it is not lost when you power down the nanoFlash.

The Clip Number goes from 001 to 999, then back to 001.

If you wish to have more than 999 clips for a single project, then you can change the Unit ID, which currently resets the clip number to 001.

This will change shortly.

With our new Public Beta, you will be able to set the Clip number to any number you desire, and it will still increment automatically.

This change, allowing one to set the Clip Number, was based on user requests.

With this change, you will be able to change the Unit ID and it will have no effect on the clip number. On the same menu line with the Unit ID will be the clip number, so you can easily set both to any desired value.

We will, based on user requests, allow alphanumeric characters for the Unit ID.
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Clip Numbering

Dan,

---start love fest---

You guys are so responsive I am simply amazed. Not only willing to listen to all these requests, but read them, comment publicly and them implement them in an instant. Even Apple could learn a few things from Convergent Design.
Thanks for the numbering change... makes my life much easier-- use those little numbers to organize things coming into the system. Will be great to have them correspond to XDCAM clip numbers when necessary.

--end of love fest--
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear George,

Please say this in your best Elvis voice:

"Thank you, Thank you very much!"
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan for the elaborated (and exhaustive - as always) answer.

I am aware of the clip naming convention. What surprised me has been that I have already recorded many, many more than just 13 clips, before that specific session! But not more than 999...

Is it possible that a firmware update resets the total clip counter?

I didn't explicitly change the device ID, either!
Old February 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

When composing my answers, I try to provide enough information so that my answer is helpful to someone with great knowledge, such as yourself, and others who are just starting to learn about the nanoFlash.

I hope I have not offended you by discussing the basics.

With certain versions of our firmware, if one navigated to, and into, the Unit ID, we reset the clip number.

At this moment in time, I can not test if our current release does this or not.
(My Flash XDR's and my nanoFlash are out on assignment.)

With our next release, this "less than obvious" resetting of the clip number will no longer occur.
Old February 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

By no means did you offend me - and I appreciate your way of answering for the very reason you have mentioned. It happens all the time that I'm learning from your answers to other people questions, and mine has indeed been very basic :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey