DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Timelapse MXF Clip Import Error in Media Composer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/472625-timelapse-mxf-clip-import-error-media-composer.html)

Mark Job February 10th, 2010 07:07 PM

Timelapse MXF Clip Import Error in Media Composer

Hi Mike, Tommy, Dan & End Users:
I'm trying to import my time-lapse footage I shot just this past Fall with my XDR into an Avid Media Composer 1920 x 1080 59.94 MHz Project and I'm experiencing some strange errors. Now, according to Avid's Media Composer User Manual, Sony XDCAM HD clips can *ONLY* be imported *In their Native resolution.* So any XDR TL clips are seen by the application as SONY XDCAM HD clips.

Now this is where the confusion kicks in: I get some clips importing and playing back quite smoothly, while other clips from the same CF card media will not import, and this error dialogue box comes up saying, "Frame rate of imported clip (23.97600000) does not match project frame rate (29.97000000000)." I can't figure out if this is Avid's malfunction or Convergent Design's. (????) If I take these clips into a different Avid Media Composer project (One setup for the frame rate of 23.976 that the error message specified), then I get the same error message in that project, only it reads, "Frame rate (29.97600000) does not match the project frame rate (23.9700000). What the ????? Is going on ??

I took a close look at all of the Timelapse MXF files on the CF card media using VLC media player to play the .mxf files out in realtime, and all files play well. I see the following possibilities, but you folks from CD could jump in here and advise me as to what you think I should be looking at or suggest a possible work around.

Possible Malfunction Causes:

1. There's something different about some of the .MXF files from some of the others since some will import into AMC 4.0.5, while others report strange errors.

2. Media Composer has a multi-rate clip import bug which needs to be addressed because it imports some of the files without issue while others won't import at all with strange frame rate errors.

* All files playback in the flash XDR without difficulty.
** All files playback with VLC media player.

*** Maybe*** a possible workaround is to somehow find an MXF conversion program, which could go to .MOV QT format, since QT is the heart of Avid.

A few days ago Dan, you stated in a different thread that CD found a problem with some LONG GOP .mxf files not being closed properly before the next .mxf file is opened. However, I understood all TL was performed as I-Frame intra recordings, then wrapped into. mxf data chunks (Correct ?), so could some of the wrapped TL files not be closed properly before the next one is started, and this is causing MC to accept some files for import, while refusing others ?? Please advise.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton February 10th, 2010 08:17 PM

Dear Mark,

I will refer your question to our engineers.

If I remember correctly, the problem that I was referring to was with our ".MPG" files, not "MOV" or "MXF" files.

Mark Job February 10th, 2010 08:23 PM

Hi Dan:
Yeah, that's correct. Now I remember from the lower thread. I was making an extrapolation and wondering if one group of pictures won't close, then maybe another won't also ? However, to be fair I have no empirical data to back that up at this point.

Mark Job February 12th, 2010 11:52 AM

Timelapse Clip Workaround Found !

Hi Dan & Mike & Tommy:
I have found a reasonable and simple workaround to get .MXF Timelapse clips into Avid Media Composer 4.0.5. There is a nice little program called Xilsoft HD Video Converter, which *can* read the .mxf MPEG 2 files created by the XDR (Therefore, I assume Nano as well) natively. This is a conversion app, which will allow you to use the latest iterations of the Quicktime Movie H.264 codec. This program can be set to make very high quality conversions of the CD .MXF files over to QT .MOV files, which import without issue into Media Composer. Problem solved.

** I am also assuming (Although I haven't tested this yet either) that if you record TL files using the .MOV setting instead, then there should be no issue in either Avid or FCP.

HD Video Converter: Convert HD TS, MTS, MKV, H.264/AVC HD converter