DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Using the nanoFlash for software tutorials (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/472651-using-nanoflash-software-tutorials.html)

Adam Stanislav February 16th, 2010 06:58 PM

I have just received an email from B&H that my nF has shipped and should arrive on Friday. I will then test if my video card works with it and in the likely case it does not, will ask you for a suggestion on which card to get to replace it with.

Adam Stanislav February 19th, 2010 08:07 PM

Well, for some reason I cannot plug the HDMI cable into my nanoFlash. I tried two different HDMI cables. It appears nF's HDMI is not same as a computer HDMI. Any advice here?

Dan Keaton February 20th, 2010 03:01 AM

Dear Adam,

Are you using a Type C HDMI cable connector for the nanoFlash end?

The original HDMI connector was a Type A (large size).

The smaller, mini size, connector is a Type C.

There are Type A to Type C cable available. One source is nanoFlash.net, one of our premiere dealers.

Some cameras use the Type C HDMI connectors also, thus one would need a Type C to Type C cable. These are harder to find. There are Type A to Type C adapters available.

If your cable already has a Type C (mini) connector on the nanoFlash end, then the size should match our nanoFlash connector and it should just work.

Does the cable end appear to be the correct size?

Adam Stanislav February 20th, 2010 10:50 AM

I have two cables. One came with my smallHD monitor, the other is a DVI to HDMI adapter cable. Both have standard HDMI connectors (male). I did not know there were different types of HDMI. Oh, well, I'll need to get more cables.

Now, as to the original question of this thread, I am looking into a new video card. Can you tell me if this GeForce 9800 GT would work for my needs (i.e., to connect my nF to it and save the computer output to video)? Or can you suggest the right card?

Dan Keaton February 20th, 2010 01:16 PM

Dear Adam,

We have not tested the NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 9800 GT.

We do know that the NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 9600 GT does not work with the nanoFlash.

If you do get the NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 9800 GT I would make certain that you can return it, without a large financial loss, if it does not work.

Piotr Wozniacki February 20th, 2010 01:32 PM

Dear Dan,

Is it safe assuming that if a graphics driver software (like the Catalyst with my ATI card) can configure the HDMI output as 1920x1080 @25Hz (it's also possible to set to 50 or 100 Hz), there is a chance the nanoFlash will be recognized?

Of course, for NTSC area this would be 30, 60 or 120 Hz.

Dan Keaton February 20th, 2010 02:17 PM

Dear Piotr,

We do not do a lot of testing with graphics cards.

I recommend that you just perform a test, if you have the cards.

Adam Stanislav February 20th, 2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1488612)
I would make certain that you can return it, without a large financial loss, if it does not work.

No, they only offer returns for replacement if the card is non-functional. I wish you had a list of cards you have tested.

Anyway, if the 9600 GT does not work with the nF, chances are the 9800 GT does not either. Do you know of any GeForce that does work? Especially in the 9xxx series?

Adam Stanislav February 21st, 2010 04:15 AM

OK, how about this SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 card? It has an HDMI connector on the card and several reviewers have said they use it to play videos on their TV. Several also mentioned it plays Blu-ray. Would that be an indication it would work with the nF? I don't mean to record Blu-ray, which obviously is not possible, but if it plays Blu-rays, it seems reasonable it should support the proper frames per second.

It is not terribly expensive either.

Piotr Wozniacki February 21st, 2010 05:15 AM

Adam,

I understand Dan is in no potion to know about each graphics card model; when I find some time I'll test it for you on my ATI 3870 card (all ATIs should work the same as the Catalyst software that is used to configure output parameters is the same for all current models).

Dan Keaton February 21st, 2010 09:00 AM

Dear Adam,

As always, we would like to help you as much as humanly possible.

But, the only reason we know that the GeForce 9600 card did not work is that a customer reported it, then we helped him troubleshoot it.

This community of friends is in much better position to help.

If anyone has an HDMI equipped Graphics card, and a nanoFlash, then they can run a test, if they so desire.

We hope you obtain some results and advice from the members of this forum.

Adam Stanislav February 21st, 2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1488860)
when I find some time I'll test it for you on my ATI 3870 card

Dziękuję, Piotr, and thank you, Dan.

Piotr Wozniacki February 21st, 2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav (Post 1488922)
Dziękuję, Piotr, and thank you, Dan.

Cala przyjemnosc po mojej stronie, Adam :)

PS. I wonder how our fiends with no CE code page on their computer like all those Polish characters...

Adam Stanislav February 21st, 2010 10:05 AM

I would hope that all the recent versions of Windows have the CE fonts readily available. Otherwise they will just see a a little square in their place. Though under Unix lynx just substitutes an e for the ę.

I just realized that my laptop has an ATI card. I will go ahead and order an HDMI to mini HDMI adapter, and when it comes, I should be able to test it myself.

Also, all NVIDIA cards use the same driver software, so chances are if the ones Dan mentioned do not work, none does.

If enough people post their test results, I would be more than happy to produce a web page on Pantarheon which will show all the test results.

Dan Keaton February 21st, 2010 07:10 PM

Dear Adam,

Here are some technical details.

When most cameras output a video signal, the signal is typically very accurate in frequency. Typcially, it is within 5 parts per million or 5ppm.

We lock on to this signal.

While the signal is typically within 5ppm, we search for the signal within 100ppm.

With the NVidia GeForce 9600 card, we found the output to be way off; it was not within 100 ppm. This is either a hardware or firmware problem, on their side, as we see it.

So, our first experience with the 9600 card was such that it did not work. Recently another customer was using the same type of card, and it did not work either. They tried another computer, with a different graphics card, and it immediately worked.

We await your results using the ATI card.