a blood-chilling experience... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear George,

One of our customers connected 28V helicopter power directly to the nanoFlash.

We will be repairing the unit soon, possibly on Monday.
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:42 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

I have my D-tap ->Hirose cable from you, and it indeed is of the highest quality.

As Andrew and Bob pointed out, it's the female receptacle on my Coco-EX adapter that is made of a material flexible enough to allow the plug in the reversed position, even without excessive force applied.
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:17 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I forced my nano's power cable the wrong way into the D-tap socket on the Coco-EX battery adapter (it's unbelievably easy to do it - take it as a warning!)

Of course, my nano didn't power up; horrified, I corrected the D-tap plug (with the nano still unresponsive), and tried to turn on the camera (also powered from the same battery) - this didn't wake up either! So I replaced the BP-U60 battery with another one - and what a relief! Both the nanoFlash and camera work OK...

The Sony's BP battery proved to be smart enough and fuse out first, before any damage was done to the nanoFlash.

Dear Dan, please comfort my mind before the weekend and assure me nothing really h
Hi Piotr,

Take heart as it happened to me once when I took delivery of my Nano. I had my 2 BP-U60 batteries and CocoEX waiting. Hooked it all up and NOTHING!!!! You are so right in letting people know that it is very easy to hook up the D-Tap to the Coco wrongly. The polarity markings are very faint so anyone with the same setup must take very special care and connect everything up under very good light.

I was fortunate as well as your good self that no harm was done to my nano and EX3. "All's well that ends well."
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:02 AM   #19
Inner Circle

David,

Thanks for your words; now I feel less ashamed of what I did ;)
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:06 AM   #20
Major Player

A-B Tap Polarity

I put red dots with a paint pen to make it easy to get it right. I like the white dot idea since you can see them in low light. There are lots of batteries now that you can plug in the wrong way.. all the Li-Ions in gray cases for example. Antons have an inner and an outer key that work better than the others, but they run 30% more $. I have had excellent results with the Batteries 4 Broadcast Li-Ions using the largest ones for my HDX-900, small ones for EX-3 and small monitors.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:30 AM   #21
Trustee

Georgre, this what I'm seeing too. The Chinese ones don't seem to be exact knockoffs. I tried a Chinese plug in a Chinese socket and no way can I get it in the wrong way around. The genuine plugs in the Chinese sockets are not as solid.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #22
Trustee

My own blood chilling experience

Because of insecure handling by me, I have scratched and dinged the soft plastic window over the lcd display.

:-*(
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Tom,

When practical, you can send the nanoFlash back to us for repair.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #24
Wrangler

I do hear reports of people inserting d-taps the wrong direction. Hasn't happened to me yet but I believe that all of the components I use have integrated the AB receptacles. The only AB part that can be dicey is the 4-way powertap distro box, which can fairly easily be split slightly along the plastic (it's made in two pieces) which will allow plugs to go in the wrong way. I think we can all agree that while the genuine article is more expensive, it's not a great place to cheap out on parts considering the damage that can be done with reverse polarity!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey