Sound: Mono to Stereo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Trustee

Sound: Mono to Stereo

Is it possible to convert mono sound to stereo in the nanoFlash? For example, the microphone is connected to the left channel in the SDI source and should also be copied to the right channel, so the result is the voice appearing in the middle.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Adam, you can make "fake" stereo out of mono sources with post production tools. If you want the same audio on both channels from one source, cameras like the EX series will allow you to record channel 1 input on both channels 1 and 2 simultaneously. It's in the Audio Input menu, and most higher level cameras will allow you to bridge these inputs easily. They will then show up coming through the SDI input as two separate channels. Still not stereo, but to record real stereo you would need to hook up a true stereo microphone to channel 1+2 for left/right.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Trustee

Thank you, Bruce. I know about the camera. I asked this question for a specific reason: When making software tutorials (discussed in a separate thread), I want to plug my nanoFlash to my BM HDMI to SDI adapter. I will then plug the video output of my computer to the BM adapter. I will also plug my audio mixer into the BM adapter. The mixer does not let me fake the stereo from a microphone.

I mean, it does let me divide the microphone signal between the left and the right channels but then the volume is half in each and I almost have to eat my microphone to get decent volume. What I have been doing is what you suggested, do it in post. But if there was a way of having the nanoFlash do it while recording, it would save me from the need of doing it in post.

An alternative would be to get an adapter cable that would let me plug that left channel into both channels of the BM device, but the fewer the cables, the better.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey