Compact Flash Cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear Garrett,

I doubt that we will be able to get the 400x Transcend card to work at 280 Mbps.

Please understand that the actual quality difference between 220 Mbps and 280 Mbps is slight.

Dear Bruce,

If you need 280 Mbps for some reason, then a higher performance card will be necessary.
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Dan, I'm happy with 100mbts my EX1 now produces pictures (plants,leaves in wind etc.) that cut really well with HDCAM material.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #18
Trustee

Thanks Dan,

The I-Frame only at 220 is pretty incredible so I don't know how much more I could gain by going to 280 but I was just checking.

Thanks again,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Dan sorry to be a pest would you be able to update me re post #13

Many thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

One of our Premiere Dealers got a batch of bad PhotoFast cards.

His PhotoFast distributor, after a period of time, replaced the cards.

After this experience, this dealer did not purchase any more PhotoFast cards. He has tested all of the cards that he has in stock and they are all good.

Thus, we have reports of people, like yourself that have not had any problems whatsoever with the PhotoFast cards.

Our main concern was the lack of reasonably prompt action by the distributor.
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for that Dan if after sales service is like that then I will not be purchasing any more PhotoFast compact flash cards.
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Your PhotoFast distributor is a different company.

Please do not hold the experience that we had, half way around the world against your distributor. I hear that you have a great distributor.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:17 AM   #23
New Boot

Photofast 533x Plus Cf cards

Kia Ora,
Re: PHOTOFAST G-Monstor CF cards. I use regularly and have tested successfully up to and including 280mbps on the Phtofast 533x Plus 32GB cards. I DO NOT use the Photofast 533x Cf cards. Their tolerances may be too low for NanoFlash and XDR.Why? What that means? I dont know and Photofast have not investigated to find out why,but they make the 533x PLUS series for higher end applications like HD video etc. The std 533x cards were the ones that others have had problems with, and were what the bad batch was. But the 533x PLUS are superb, reliable and even beat our Sandisk Extreme IV in a download race. So far and there has been loads of recording on them the 533x PLUS cards have been rock solid in our Nano's/XDR's and my 7D......

This does not mean the 533x cards out there in Nano's will fail..I just had one fail to be recognised as a Cf card when reinserted into a Nano after downloading the files...so we stopped using them altogether and have since only used the PLUS cards, along with our Sandisks and Delkins.The card is restorable, just have not around to it yet.

The service issue mentioned re Photofast cards was to do with one distributor(and one only...not NZ or OZ) and not a reseller, though the distributors lack of service may have reflected on the reseller. Fortunately the reseller is a nice guy, has a great reputation and hopefully his customers are smart enough to work out he is cool.

Disclaimer: I own 50% of a rental company that sells Photofast cards (in New Zealand).

kind regards
David Paul
cinematographer
New Zealand

Last edited by David Paul; July 3rd, 2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: re-wording, more info.
David Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #24
Major Player

Hello Everyone,
I have recently noticed that some of my NanoFlash CF files QT 50Mbps no longer display an icon and do not play back using quicktime on the Mac desktop. The same files play out fine in the Nanoflash and import and play in FCP.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Please upgrade to our 1.6.29 firmware if you have not done so already.

The problem you are reporting sounds like a problem that was fixed in 1.6.29.
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #26
Major Player

Hello Dan,
No I have not upgraded to 1.6.29 firmware because when I first installed the upgrade I was on a live job and noticed dropped frames when the NanoFlash was used feeding the Tricaster. I then reverted back to the previous fimware for stability. Now I am back at base and have more time I can investigate the two issues Thoroughly.

Thanks Dan
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey