Compact Flash Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Compact Flash Cards

Hi,

I know there are new ones coming out, being tested, etc.

Maybe there is something like this already out there, but a list of approved compact flash cards would be great.

I looked all over the CD web site and couldn't find any such list.

A 'sticky' thread might be good for this topic.
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi,

This is covered in the manual that you can download at:

Convergent Design |

On page 5 of the Flash XDR Manual:

Use only the qualified Compact Flash cards for the specified bit rates:
· SanDisk Extreme 3 32/16/8 Gb CF cards for bit rates up to 180 Mbps
· SanDisk Extreme 4 16 Gbyte CF cards for bit rates up to 280 Mbps
· SanDisk Extreme 32 Gbyte CF cards for bit rates up to 280 Mbps
· SanDisk Extreme Pro 64/32 Gbyte CF cards up to 280 Mbps
· Delkin UDMA 16 Gbyte CF cards for bit rates up to 180 Mbps
· Lexar 8/16 Gbyte 300x CF cards for bit rates up to 280 Mbps
· PhotoFast 64/32 Gbyte 533x CF cards for bit rates up to 220 Mbps
· PhotoFast Plus 32 Gbyte 533x CF cards for bit rates up to 280 Mbps
Fletcher Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Guys,

I must have missed that in the manual too.
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Major Player

The URL listing Olof points to gets updated frequently. Cards and card sizes are being added semi-regularly. In addition Convergent Design periodically tweaks their code/firmware to allow some cards to accept higher bitrates from the nanoFlash.

You will read about these advances in this forum. Once you hang around for a while you will be in the loop.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your post, nicely stated!

We recently delisted the PhotoFast cards. This may be temporary.

One of our dealers received a batch of bad PhotoFast cards.

Also, there have been some failures of these cards in the field.

In better news, we are currently trying to squeeze every drop of performance out of all CompactFlash cards.

Our next firmware may include some improvements in this area. I do not have the latest info at this moment, but our engineers were working on this on Friday.

Our goal is to increase the maximum bit-rate for certain cards, such as the Delkin to 280 Mbps.

I would also like to note that we have been very happy with the Delkin 64 GB cards.
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Hello Dan,
Would you please let us know what problems have come to light with the PhotoFast cards. as you say "We recently delisted the PhotoFast cards. This may be temporary."

Having purchased several of the PhotoFast 64gb cards which where approved which have become the work horse for me I am concerned it may fail. It would be of great assistance to known what to lookout for or should I withdraw the cards from service.

I have not experienced any problems with my PhotoFast 64gb cards but I rather be safe than sorry.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

We have had reports that some of the PhotoFast cards would no longer communicate with external devices, such as ours.

We heard that the problem is related to the card itself losing the programming, internally, of its controller chip. One distributor has told us that there is a software program available from the manufacturer that will allow the controller chip to be reprogrammed but I do not have confirmation of this.

One test of a failed card is if it fails to work in our unit, that it also fails to be responsive in other devices such as PC's or Mac's.

Also, one of our dealers received a bad batch of cards.

At this time, we have more confidence in the Delkin and SanDisk cards.
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
We heard that the problem is related to the card itself losing the programming, internally, of its controller chip.
Dear Dan,

Also my two PhotoFast 32GB cards' behaviour might indicate this problem. Recently, I noticed that when the "Card in slot X too slow" error occurs, and the nano hangs with "Stopping" message displayed - after power-cycle, the card is no longer recognized ("Unknown card"), and I need to reformat it before use.

This never happened before - it was enough to reboot my nanoFlash and recording continued without the need for reformat.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Dear Dan,
Thank you for the info I will monitor my PhotoFast 64gb cards very closely for any sign of problems. It’s really a shame that one can no longer have faith in the PhotoFast cards. I can not use them now on critical work for the fear of failure. I think PhotoFast need to offer a solution to the problem if they want sales.
Dan when you hear that the software program is available from the manufacturer that will allow the controller chip to be reprogrammed would let us know please and how we can access it. I am not real happy about having a bunch of cards that I can not use.
Many thanks.
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Major Player

It is intereresting to note that "nanoFlash.net" is now only selling Delkin 64GB cards which according to my unscientific observations appear to the ones that have received the most positive response in terms of value and reliability.

I recall Dan stating a little while back that the CD developers were going to be tweaking their code to eek slightly higher recording speeds out of them.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Andrew,

Yes, we have had very positive results with the Delkin 64 GB cards.

Yes, we will be trying hard to get more performance out of the CompactFlash cards.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #13
Major Player

Delisted the PhotoFast Cards

Hello Dan,
I am ready to purchase more 64gb CF cards and I remember that PhotoFast cards where delisted a while ago. I can not find any further update information on these cards as to their status. I have personally not had any problems with my Photofast 64 gb cards and was thinking of ordering more. It would be appreciated if you can please update us on the Photofast 533 64gb cards suitability.

Quote:
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your post, nicely stated!

We recently delisted the PhotoFast cards. This may be temporary.

One of our dealers received a batch of bad PhotoFast cards.

Also, there have been some failures of these cards in the field.

In better news, we are currently trying to squeeze every drop of performance out of all CompactFlash cards.

Our next firmware may include some improvements in this area. I do not have the latest info at this moment, but our engineers were working on this on Friday.

Our goal is to increase the maximum bit-rate for certain cards, such as the Delkin to 280 Mbps.

I would also like to note that we have been very happy with the Delkin 64 GB cards.

Many thanks
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:

Hi Dan,

Any chance there will be an improvement for the Transcend 64GB 400X cards? Will they benefit from the new firmware update to be able to go to 280mbps?

Thanks for the great work.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #15
Major Player

I am using Transcend 32GB 400X cards as listed on one of the CD lists. All is well but should I be using more upmarket cards?
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey