Sound quality of the nano headphones output - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #31
Inner Circle

This is a very good news indeed, Mike (I'm sure you mean -12/+12 dB).
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Ummmm, +/-12db isn't much. Let's hope Mike was correct about the greater range.

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #33
Trustee

Can't one simply plug the headphones into the camera's headphone output, that has plenty of level control. Alternatively inline headphone volume controls are pretty cheap and more convenient than using something on a recording device like the NF. The less button pushing one has to do on a recorder such as the NF while it's recording the better in my opinion.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Bob,

Fair enough, external controls are available. But did you remember to bring it? Did the client forget to send it back?

Monitoring the loop through on the recorder is also essential. Doing it on the camera verifies nothing.

Headphone volume control is a normal function of a record and playback deck. There is functionality built into the Nano for that. We are just waiting for CD to get it done and hope that their priorities for bug fixes and normal useful controls take the priority that they deserve (as they seem to have lately).

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Can't one simply plug the headphones into the camera's headphone output, that has plenty of level control. Alternatively inline headphone volume controls are pretty cheap and more convenient than using something on a recording device like the NF. The less button pushing one has to do on a recorder such as the NF while it's recording the better in my opinion.
Bob, I beg to disagree. I may be wrong, but not many professional headsets have inline volume control. But what's most important is that - when with the future firmware, the nanoFlash effectively becomes a sort of mixer for the SDI-embedded channels and the analogue one(s) - the ability to precisely monitor the audio directly from the nF will become indispensable.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I am building on Bob's thoughts.

We are committed to providing a greater range of headphone level output.

But, as Bob, said, a simple 3.5mm mini-Plug to level control to 3.5 mm mini-Jack are available and very convenient.

In fact, much more convenient than a headphone level control will ever be on the nanoFlash using push buttons.

Bob's comment about pushing less buttons, while recording, makes perfect sense to me, especially if the nanoFlash is mounted on the camera. We are already using the arrow buttons to control the input levels, for analog audio inputs, which are there if the levels are too high or low during a recording.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; June 16th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #37
Convergent Design

Audio Level Settings

I double checked the audio chip spec and it certainly appears that we can add +12 to -120 dB gain to the headphone output. We have the demo board and should be able to confirm next week (after we get the next beta release checked out).

Best-
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
certainly appears that we can add +12 to -120 dB gain
Very well, then. Sounds good.

So, how many bits are we recording the sound at? Just wondering because of these little facts. That would equate -120 dB with hitting the mute button. But then going from there up in 0.5 dB increments?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Dear Adam,

Audio in the nanoFlash is recorded in the 24-bit 48,000 samples per second format.

The embedded audio, from the source, may be in 16-bit or 24-bit format, depending on the camera.

Analog audio is always encoded using 24-Bit hardware.
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #40
Trustee

Thanks, Dan. So, theoretically, there is room for more than 120 dB, though that would be quite a roar. :)

Personally, I have always wished the digital standard was to record the sound in a logarithmic way, so that soft sounds could record more subtle differences. Alas, the accepted standard is linear, even though deciBels are indeed logarithmic.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey