Bizarre HD-SDI Playback Errors on Latest XDR Firmware at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Bizarre HD-SDI Playback Errors on Latest XDR Firmware

Hi Mike, Tommy, Dan & Fellow XDR Users:
I'm getting some really weird playback errors on my XDR with the latest beta firmware release 1.5.25. What I'm seeing is a *Soft* unsharp playback quality along with green blocking artifacts and audio popping, glitches and screeching. What the heck is going on guys ?? This seems to be happening with . MOV QT file setting at either I-Frame 100 Mbps, or at Long GOP 50 Mbps.

2. There is also the related clip based import failure in Avid Media Composer 4.0.5.1. I got a bizarre error dialogue box popping up with a very interesting message which read, "Missing X5D5 codec." What I thought was interesting was how MC knew what codec it needed to play this kind of .MOV QT file and didn't have it. Also, the classic tell tale sign of a missing codec in Avid - The imported files plays back a blank white screen with perfect ado. Obviously, these are two separate, but related malfunctions.

Avid MC uses the Quicktime Movie Engine as the heart of its system to work. In fact, you *Must* have the correct version of Quicktime Player installed to even use Media Composer.

**I think I may have to roll back to the last *Official* firmware release if I get a paying shooting job between now and the next firmware update for the XDR. Will all future firmware releases be *BETA* from now on ?

Could other XDR users out there please confirm if they are seeing any strange anomalies in HD-SDI playback with the latest beta firmware release please. I'm using the CD approved Sandisk CF Card media. Please advise.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Mark. I don't use Avid MC so I can't comment about what's happening there. However, I can confirm the HD-SDI playback problems that you have uncovered. Actually, I unconvered this over the weekend but just haven't been on the forums too much lately.

The glitchy playback problems happened for me at the worst possible time, at a color correction studio, laying off footage to HDCAM-SR, while the clock was running.

I confirmed that this issue exists only for the beta firmware in my case. I downgraded my firmware while at the CC house and was able to playout my footage as needed with no problem.

As much as I like to help the development process, I think I'll need to leave the beta testing to the rest of the gang here. I really use my box for production too much to take a chance with beta software, especially when it costs me money.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Item 1. The problem with Playback of Quicktime files, in the nanoFlash and Flash XDR was reported to us (in the Public Beta versions only). We found this problem and fixed it.

A new Public Beta is due out soon which will have this fix.

Item 2 is new to me. We will have to research this.
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks For The Confirmation

Hi Aaron:
OK. Thanks for the confirmation on the HD-SDI playback failure. I'm sorry to learn your XDR malfunctions actually are costing you money ! This is not what one would make the investment in an XDR for. I have since fully reverted back to the last *Official firmware release* of Dec 4/09 (1.1.151) just to make sure I get no more realtime playback anomalies. I also don't want to introduce any possible degradation of image quality into the recording of .MOV files on the CF cards themselves. It is unclear at this point as to where the playback quality degradation was originating from since I could not import the .MOV files into Media Composer to analize them.

*However, I was able to playback the .MOV files with Quicktime Player Ver 10.0 built into my iMAC's Snow Leopard OS and the video looked only very slightly *Soft* without any blocking artifacts, and the audio sounded good.
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

I thought you would be recording in MXF not MOV (Quicktime) for Avid.

I thought ".MXF" was native to Avid.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Trustee

Avid & .MXF & .MOV

Hi Dan:
Avid can import just about anything except standard MPEG Long GOP 2 (.mpg extension). Quicktime is the heart of the Avid video engine. You can always import a .MOV QT movie. Avid Media Composer will automatically wrap the QT in a .MXF wrapper, but you don't have to allays use a video file with an .MXF extension. Both .MOV and .MXF files are *native* to Media Composer.

**However, *Not* the X5D5 Quicktime CODEC you folks at CD are using for the Final Cut Pro MAC OS QT. I should be able to go find this codec and install it on my WIN XP Pro Service Pack 2 Avid Certified PC, then I probably can import the version of .MOV the XDR and Nano are using for QT captures.
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Contributor

Mark - I would stick with .mxf for Avid. I haven't experienced your problems using that format. Mind you I'm not using a Mac for Avid either.

Obviously if you use .mov Avid has to re-wrap the files as .mxf as that is it's native wrapper now. Avid only has two native wrappers; .mxf and .omf. Avid's native codecs in the past have existed as both .mov and .avi for import and export, at least on the Meridien system.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey