DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Record trigger not responding w MPG (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/474667-record-trigger-not-responding-w-mpg.html)

Ron Aerts March 12th, 2010 12:49 PM

Record trigger not responding w MPG

I used the NF on a job as a backup recorder. Since I had to film all day I decided to use mpg SD recording to be sure that I had enough memory on the flashcards. I used the embedded timecode trigger for starting the recording. The first one or two takes were ok but later on I discovered that the NF was not recording. I did some tests and every time after a reboot the recorder only starts the first few times. After that it just gives no recording indication. I decided to change to MXF recording as in this mode it seemed to trigger well. I had no time to look through the files yet.
Probably something to do with mxf not embedding time code and the new function which controls "older timecode" not to trigger the cam.
As so, there should be an additional parameter in the video/system menu giving you the choice to 'listen' to older time code or not... Or just leave this off when in mpg mode.
I tried the beta version.

Dan Keaton March 12th, 2010 07:41 PM

Dear Ron,

I am alerting our engineers about your report.

Barry J. Weckesser March 12th, 2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Aerts (Post 1498733)
I used the NF on a job as a backup recorder. Since I had to film all day I decided to use mpg SD recording to be sure that I had enough memory on the flashcards. I used the embedded timecode trigger for starting the recording. The first one or two takes were ok but later on I discovered that the NF was not recording. I did some tests and every time after a reboot the recorder only starts the first few times. After that it just gives no recording indication. I decided to change to MXF recording as in this mode it seemed to trigger well. I had no time to look through the files yet.
Probably something to do with mxf not embedding time code and the new function which controls "older timecode" not to trigger the cam.
As so, there should be an additional parameter in the video/system menu giving you the choice to 'listen' to older time code or not... Or just leave this off when in mpg mode.
I tried the beta version.

I had something happen last evening along the same line - I wasn't going to report it because I couldn't consistently reproduce it. I was testing out the ability of the NF not to record when using the last clip review on the EX1 (I have it set for the entire clip). Indeed the NF did not record but when the camera returned to camera mode and I tried to record a clip the NF did not start recording. As I say, this only happened twice. I rebooted the NF and couldn't reproduce it although there was a 1-2 second delay between pushing the record button on the camera and the NF showing "RECORD" mode (is that normal - haven't really paid attention to this before ?).

I was shooting MXF@ 100mbps 1080 30p and the NF was set to record on embedded timecode. I was also using the latest firmware (V. 1.20) for the EX1. I also had the NF set with buffer "on". The NF has the new Beta firmware.

Addendum - had the camera set up this evening and I was able to reproduce the same behavior - it was sporadic and intermittent - at times the NF would not record at all (unless rebooted) after using record review on the EX1 and at other times it would. There was also the starting of recording being delayed by 1-4 seconds which was intermittent. I tried turning the buffer on and off and it did not affect this behavior - and no, I didn't start recording too early - I always waited until "Stopping" was not displayed and the green light was displayed on the NF. I hope this is not a bug in the new Sony EX1 firmware and it's interaction with the NF. It is late so I am not taking the next step - reverting back to the "production" NF firmware until tomorrow.

2nd Addendum - ok couldn't wait until a.m. switched back to 1.1.154 and problem resolved - of course the NF records the "record review" from the camera but there is no delay in starting recording on the NF when the camera's record button is pushed. Looks like I will skip the Beta for my upcoming spring break vacation - never had a single problem with the 1.1.154 firmware. Since this is the first time (unless I am mistaken) that this behavior has been reported, I wonder if many users just don't observe if there is a delay with the NF starting to record with the Beta firmware?

Ron Aerts March 13th, 2010 02:17 AM

Audio corrupt as well

I looked through the mxf files I recorded. But there is something horribly wrong with the audio. On the left channel I have a full level/peaking hum. The audio was ok with the previous mpg clips, the next clip (3 minutes later after power reboot) as an mxf is corrupted in audio.
It stays that way throughout the whole day, also after moments i know i did a power down and up.
The backups are useless, luck that the cam recorded fine as usual... I better go back to version 1.1.178

Barry J. Weckesser March 13th, 2010 06:58 AM

Ron - don't you mean version 1.1.154?

Dan Keaton March 13th, 2010 07:24 AM

Dear Ron,

For production use, we recommend 1.1.154.

Dear Berry,

I will alert our engineers to your findings.

Ron Aerts March 13th, 2010 10:31 AM

yeah, sorry, 154 it is
any idea what could have happened with the audio?

Dan Keaton March 13th, 2010 01:24 PM

Dear Ron,

I believe this to be a problem with our Public Beta, 1.5.31.

We will have a release with this corrected soon.

Barry J. Weckesser March 19th, 2010 06:39 AM

Dan - do you happen to know if your software engineers were able to reproduce the delay in the starting of recording of the Nano (after the camera record button is pressed) and if they were able to document no recording at all after "clip review" was activated and then the record button (on the camera) pressed to start another recording?

Piotr Wozniacki March 19th, 2010 07:27 AM

Which CF cards are you using, Barry?

Barry J. Weckesser March 19th, 2010 09:04 AM

Sandisk Extreme III 32 GB and Photofast 64 GB - freshly formatted (in the Nano with the new Beta Software). I am now back to the "approved" firmware and have had no issues.

Piotr Wozniacki March 19th, 2010 09:08 AM

The PhotoFast cards seem to be the common denominator...

Please try and establish whether your problems occur with both the PhotoFast and Sandisk, Barry :)

Barry J. Weckesser March 19th, 2010 09:20 AM

I am getting the camera and gear ready for our spring break vacation so will retest when I get home today. I am almost certain I tested with both cards with the beta software. I know, for a fact, that there is no delay in starting to record or failure to record (after clip review) with the Photofast with the old software (1.1.154)

Piotr Wozniacki March 19th, 2010 09:37 AM

Thanks Barry.

Too many unknown variables to draw a conclusion, except that my severe problems with 2x32GB PhotoFast cards started when I first upgraded to the newest Public Beta.

Before that (i.e. with the official 1.1.154 firmware), my nanoFlash/PhotoFast combo was working perfectly.

Considering what Dan has reported about the PhotoFast cards "losing the programming, internally, of its controller chip", this could have been somehow triggered or accelerated with the Beta features of the nanoFlash (see here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...ash-cards.html).

At least this is what I'm seeing now here: after a full month of fighting with intermittent errors with my PhotoFast cards, I've been torture-testing a Sandisk Extreme card for a second day now, without a single glitch!

Barry J. Weckesser March 19th, 2010 01:56 PM

Wow - at $ 300 a pop I would hate to end up with 2 cards that are non-functional - unless something is improved in the new beta or the final firmware I will be stuck with 1.1.154 henceforth. Since my cards are 64 GB should that make a difference?