Nab 2010 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 21st, 2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Nab 2010

Dear Friends,

Convergent Design will have a booth at NAB 2010 which is April 12 through April 15.

We will be in the same general area as Sony and B&H, near the rear of the Central Hall.

Our booth number is C11731.

We will have Mike Schell; myself; John Schell, our Chief Engineer; and Alister Chapman, a well respected cameraman and frequent poster on DVInfo.net.

Alister will be on hand to discuss the nanoFlash and 3D. Alister has quite a lot of practical 3D experience with the nanoFlash.

Our booth will be a "Hands On" affair, you will be able to use the nanoFlash on a variety of cameras.

Mike, John, Alister and I will be happy to answer all of your questions.

We look forward to seeing you there.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sounds good I will stop by on Tuesday.
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Dear Dan,

Test S270/Z7 with the nanoflash please. This is a very good opportunity.

Thnak you

Alex
Alexander Timanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Alexander,

We do not own these cameras so we have not tested them in our lab.

However, the S270 has HD-SDI output and the nanoFlash will work with this camera without a problem. HD-SDI is a very rigid standard and all modern Sony cameras with HD-SDI work with the nanoFlash.

The Z7 has HDMI output and the same applies. The nanoFlash will work with this camera.
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

We wish to invite you to our booth at NAB.

We will be in Booth C11731, which is near the rear of the Central Hall, in the Acquisition Area, near the Sony Booth.

Next to the Sony Booth is the B&H booth.

Our booth is behind the B&H Booth, down one of the short aisles.

If you click on the following you can obtain a free exhibits pass, but this must be done today. After April 8th, there is a $20 fee for the "Free Exhibits Hall Pass".

https://www.xpressreg.net/register/n....asp?P=NV2179E
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dan, hope you have a good NAB.
And I'm sure lots of folks on this board will join me in thanking you for your massive support here. Keep up the good work and continue surprising us!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much! That was a very nice thing for you to say.

We expect that our nano3D is going to be a big hit.

Anyone with one nanoFlash can add a second nanoFlash then record 3D.

The nano3D kit makes this even better as it allows for on-set playback of two pixel-synced HD-SDI output streams.

We know that there are true 3D experts, those who know exactly what they are doing.

But, a lot of people are getting into 3D and it is quite an accomplishment to record 3D properly.

We feel that having on-set playback, where one can check, immediately, to see if they got it right, will be a big help.

(Grin: No nanoFlashes were harmed in the creation of nano3D.)

All existing nanoFlashes can become part of a nano3D setup.
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Inner Circle

There you go - surprises! Wow.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

We will have another significant surprise later today, stay tuned.

This is related to nano3D. It will have significant additional functionality that we have not previously disclosed!

Also, we have what we think is a nice gift for nanoFlash owners that come to our booth.

We will be bringing over 90 of a special accessory for the nanoFlash.

These will be our CompactFlash card eject button protectors. This is a nice, custom machined, powder coated piece of aluminum that protects the eject buttons while allowing free access to the CompactFlash cards.

One side benefit of these is that it generally prevents the cards from flying out of the slot, if one presses too hard.

We would love to hear how you are using the nanoFlash, so we will give one of these away free to first 90 or so that come and share their stories and experience.

Please come early, as we expect these to go fast. This offer is limited to the number of these that we have on hand, a little over 90 units.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Dan,

I hope you will be making another run of the covers. I will be interested in buying one.

-Andrew
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Looking forward to seeing what's new in the CD world at NAB, and hopefully I'll score a couple of those Compact Flash covers. :D

See you guys in Vegas.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Major Player

Dan,
I wish I could be there to meet all of you and gives my thanks in person.
Sure will be a great NAB for CD.
Cheers,
rafel
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Hi Dan,

I hope you will be making another run of the covers. I will be interested in buying one.

-Andrew
I second that, but , I think that it should be given away as a compensation of the design...
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Mike has recently posted our latest surprise.

nano3D will have a built-in 3D combiner/processor.

This functionality allows for one to playback the 3D images on-set.

While it seems that recording 3D should be easy, it does require quite a bit of expertise and experience.

In shooting the Masters in 3D, they found some situations, during their testing, which were unacceptable. These situations were some of the types of camerawork that we take for granted in 2D.

With the nano3D, one can use a professional 3D HD monitor, if it has two HD-SDI inputs.

Or, since the nano3D will have sophisticated 3D combiner/processor funcationality, one can take the combined HD-SDI signal and feed it to a HD-SDI monitor.

Or, one can use an HD-SDI to HDMI converter, (relatively low in cost), and then use a large screen consumer 3D HD monitor.

Our converstions with experts indicates that for critical analysis of 3D footage, a large 3D monitor (such as 50" or larger) is far superior, in most cases, than using a typical 24" to 26" monitor.

Large professional 3D monitors are very expensive, as are 3D combiner/processors.

The nano3D will have this funcationality at a very reasonable price thus eliminating the need to purchase a separate combiner/processor.

We feel that critically reviewing, on-set, each 3D take, will dramaticaly improve your success in creating 3D footage. If it does not pass your review, then you can take corrective action almost immediately.
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luben Izov View Post
I second that, but , I think that it should be given away as a compensation of the design...
Agreed! Or, for compensation for us early adopters of the product, cutting our teeth on figuring out how to use the Nano. I feel like a lab rat. Give me a piece of cheese!

FYI, I am happy to give stories of the Nano to CD, reward or not. I do think it is a great little box and I would like others to know how well it works.
Scott Stoneback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey