DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   NanoFlash 3D kit ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/475517-nanoflash-3d-kit.html)

Dean Harrington March 24th, 2010 04:31 PM

NanoFlash 3D kit ...

OK guys ... I'm intrigued ... tell me more! What's in the kit?

Dan Keaton March 24th, 2010 05:51 PM

Dear Dean,

Mike is preparing a press release.

The nano3D Kit allows two regular nanoFlashes to be combined in such a way that they work together as a team.

Thus, your existing nanoFlash or nanoFlashes can be used as part of a nano3D.

The Kit consists of

1. A custom bracket that allows one nanoFlash to attach to another.

The bracket attaches to the top of one nanoFlash and the bottom of another. Existing mounting options should work.

This bracket is easily removed to allow the two nanoFlashes to be used independently.

2. A special Remote Control Cable that allows both nanoFlashes to start simultaneously, to allow the two nanoFlashes to communicate with each other, and to allow for LTC timecode input to each.

3. A heavy duty AC power supply which can power both nanoFlashes.

4. A Y-Power cable to allow one power source power both nanoFlashes.

5. Special firmware to allow both nanoFlashes to operate in sync.

This firmware will support the communication between the nanoFlashes so that when recording, in certain modes, the filenames for both files will be identical or similar (identical except for the Unit ID).

This firmware will also allow pixel synced playback of 3D footage.

The nano3D has three major uses:

1. 3D Recording and Pixel Synced Playback.

2. Redundant Recording. Two independent nanoFlashes working together to create two identical masters.

3. Simultaneously High Quality and Proxy mode recordings. These will be coordinated so that both will have the same filename.

Bruce Schultz March 24th, 2010 06:13 PM

Dan,

I've been recording 3D footage all this week with 2 NF units and the mutual trigger/timecode cable you made for me. All is working well but the one thing I don't have is synchronized playback, so put me at the top of the list for the 3D kit just for that feature alone.

Luben Izov March 24th, 2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1504906)
Dear Dean,

2. A special Remote Control Cable that allows both nanoFlashes to start simultaneously, to allow the two nanoFlashes to communicate with each other, and to allow for LTC timecode input to each.

3. A heavy duty AC power supply which can power both nanoFlashes.

4. A Y-Power cable to allow one power source power both nanoFlashes.

5. Special firmware to allow both nanoFlashes to operate in sync.

This firmware will support the communication between the nanoFlashes so that when recording, in certain modes, the filenames for both files will be identical or similar (identical except for the Unit ID).

This firmware will also allow pixel synced playback of 3D footage.

The nano3D has three major uses:

2. Redundant Recording. Two independent nanoFlashes working together to create two identical masters.

3. Simultaneously High Quality and Proxy mode recordings. These will be coordinated so that both will have the same filename.

Dear Dan,
I know you meant it, but, you didn't say it.... the same Time Code down to the single field - hope so.....
Count me in for the kit please and I guess, one more NF. Just curios, NF and NF or could be NF and XDR?

Luben Izov March 24th, 2010 07:21 PM

Last Year

I don't know if this has been read from the board, but I read it last year and found it now again for this post. If I remember correctly Alister was talking about that on his website too. Here is the link XDCAM-USER.com EX and NanoFlashes 3D Stereoscopic Shooting in London

Dan Keaton March 24th, 2010 08:38 PM

Dear Luben,

Yes, the same timecode can be feed to both nanoFlashes.

Alister has very succcessfully used two nanoFlashes for Stereoscopic shooting.

He did not have the luxury of the nano3D kit.

Mark Job March 24th, 2010 09:00 PM

This is Pretty Cool !

Hi Dan:
Congratulations ! 3D Nano Flash Recording and Playback ? How cool is that ? Due to the similarities of software code between CD's two SSDR's, could such a similar rig (Kit) be designed to use 2 Flash XDR recorders ?

Dan Keaton March 25th, 2010 08:01 AM

Dear Mark,

One of the items that allows us to build a nice compact-sized nano3D is the fact that the nanoFlash is so small and light.

We could probably create firmware that allowed two Flash XDR's to work together, but I just can't imagine two Flash XDR's mounted together in the same over and under configuration.

Mark Job March 25th, 2010 11:58 AM

What About Side by Side ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1505173)
Dear Mark,

One of the items that allows us to build a nice compact-sized nano3D is the fact that the nanoFlash is so small and light.

We could probably create firmware that allowed two Flash XDR's to work together, but I just can't imagine two Flash XDR's mounted together in the same over and under configuration.

Hi Dan:
Oh I agree it would be big. Perhaps a side by side instead of an over and under configuration would be more appropriate for two XDR's. Obviously, there would have to be enough distance between the two XDRs to get CF cards in and out. The fact you have got CD technology running in pixel sync playback is a major achievement. I would very much like to see a demo of this system.

Bruce Schultz March 25th, 2010 07:04 PM

Dan,

If you have these 3D kits available for sale by the NAB show can you bring a bunch to Vegas so we can buy them there? I'm quite anxious to get sync 3D playback as soon as possible.

Steve Connor March 26th, 2010 01:38 PM

I've recently finished Post Production on the 3D shoot that Alister did for us and I have to say the syncing of the NanoFlash units was absolutely perfect, I didn't have to re-sync a single shot.

Dan Keaton March 26th, 2010 01:53 PM

Dear Steve,

Thank you for posting your experience.

For those who do not know, this was a major 3D shoot for a major international corporation.