Second Public Beta Discussion Area at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Second Public Beta Discussion Area

Dear Friends,

Our engineers have been working very hard to prepare our Second Public Beta.

For the nanoFlash, the firmware number of the Second Public Beta is expected to be 1.5.126.

We are finishing the documentation so we can post this firmware today.

When it is posted, we will also post information on what has been improved.

We have attempted to address all reported issues with the First Public Beta (1.5.31).

Firmware for both the nanoFlash and Flash XDR should be posted today, so stay tuned.
The Flash XDR firmware numbers will be different due to the way that we number our firmware builds.

This firmware has been undergoing substantial testing in our labs. We now feel that it is time to post it so our friends can test it with their cameras and their workflow.

Please note that we have made major improvements with this release, especially in the way that we work with the CompactFlash cards and audio support.

More information will be posted as soon as possible.

Please post all comments, concerns, and any problems with this Second Public Beta in this thread.
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Can't Wait to Test ! :-)

Hi Dan:
OK. I will test as thoroughly as possible and post all XDR 2nd Public Beta results in this thread :-) Thank you and the folks at CD for all of their hard work to bring us this update beta firmware. Dan, if this beta is favourable, will CD then post an *Official-Non_Beta release following ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Dear Dan,
Is there any reasons why the new firmware is a lower number then the old one? Is it a typo or that is the real number? Thank you
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Luben,

The First Public Beta was 1.5.31, or build number 31 of our firmware version 1.5.

The Second Public Beta is 1.5.126, or build number 126 of our firmware version 1.5.
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Dear Dan,
Thank you for the explanation! I guess this is a just a numbering issue than anything else. I apologize for the input here, but, isn't instead 1.5.31 to be read/numbered 1.5.031?
The way I learn math and numbering 1.5.126 is a smaller number than 1.5.31 and could be confusing down the road if someone wanna roll back to that firmware. I know it's a beta version, but, could happened to the official version too.
Cheers
Luben
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Luben,

Think of it like the Dewey Decimal System.
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Luben,

Think of it like the Dewey Decimal System.
Thank you Dear Dan,
Is not a big think at all. Last post on that from me. Just wanna say that Dewey Decimal System uses .0xx to clarify the number under 100. Anyway, glad that I'll be testing the new firmware tomorrow. Thank you
Luben
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luben Izov View Post
Dear Dan,
Thank you for the explanation! I guess this is a just a numbering issue than anything else. I apologize for the input here, but, isn't instead 1.5.31 to be read/numbered 1.5.031?
The way I learn math and numbering 1.5.126 is a smaller number than 1.5.31 and could be confusing down the road if someone wanna roll back to that firmware. I know it's a beta version, but, could happened to the official version too.
Cheers
Luben
Luben, the way you learned math probably didn't have multiple decimal points in the numbers also. This should be a clue that the entire number is not to be treated as an integer.

Nearly ALL software revision systems that I've seen, number releases this way. At least least those that are run by experienced developers. I've run a few dev shops in my day and maintained my own code too. The numbering scheme typically goes something like:

[major version] . [ minor version ] . [ build ]

each time you increment the major version, the number in position 1 would be incremented. like from 1 to 2.

each time you increment the number in the middle position, that increments the minor revision. yes, a minor revision of 152 is indeed greater than minor revision 2,.. by 150 revisions!

when the build is incremented, the third number is incremented. again, a build number of 75 is much greater than a build number of 9.

zero filling any of these numbers would be senseless. you'd be supposing that there are a maximum number of digits for each field (which there shouldn't ever be), and adding extra digits to the version number for no good reason.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Tough Love... Version Numbers

Nothing gets by this crowd!
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Ok - first test (going on a cruise tomorrow morning) so thought I would do a brief trial - this new beta exhibits some of the same behavior as I have reported with the previous beta: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...ml#post1498952 - there are some differences - there is still the 1-4 second delay from pressing record to the Nanoflash actually starting to record. When I press clip review button on the camera (have it set for entire clip) - the Nano doesn't record right away but for the last 2-3 seconds (of a 10 second clip) it will record. This time however, when I go to record again it will start recording - either right away or with a couple of seconds delay.

Looks like you guys are close but not quite there yet!

Have you tested the firmware on an EX1 with the new v. 1.20 firmware installed?

Before you ask: - The camera is set to record 1080 30p and Mode: Preset & Run: Rec-Run

The Nano is set to record MXF 1080 30p @ 100mbps, Trigger>TC>Last TC; prebuffer is on, psf on, timecode: embedded. Using Photofast 64 GB card and also Sankisk Extreme iii - 32 GB

Going back to 1.1.154 for my trip.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Major Player

SD sync.. looks good.

Audio sync in SD SDI recordings seems spot on... more testing in the AM. EX-3 with SD downconversion via SDI. MOV recorded GOP.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Barry,

Have a great trip.

We will be attempting to test everything you mentioned in our lab.

We have an EX3 in our lab, but not an EX1 or EX1R.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear George,

Thank your for testing and your report.
Old March 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Barry,

Have a great trip.

We will be attempting to test everything you mentioned in our lab.

We have an EX3 in our lab, but not an EX1 or EX1R.
Thanks Dan - I'll bet this is something unique to either the EX1 or the new EX1 firmware and it's interaction with the Nano firmwrare - as soon as I reverted back to 1.1.154 everything works perfectly. Hope that some other EX1 owners with the new firmware (EX1 firmware- v. 1.20) also test this out.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #15
Major Player

Barry, I have an EX3 and have updated the Sony firmware to 1.10 (which activates the full overcrank on the SDHC cards)

Just loaded up the new beta firmware and will put it through it's paces. Pretty sure the EX1 and 3 are fundamentally the same camera as far as the electronics go.

Like you, I am very interested in the SD functionality of the nanoFlash. I will make a point of shooting some SD footage over the coming days to see if I can replicate what you did and see if the issues are the same on my end.

Last edited by Andrew Stone; March 27th, 2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: correcting a mistake pointed out by Dean in a subsequent post
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey