Editing questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing questions

Hi all,

Just starting to edit my first nano footage... so far so good. But a couple of questions have come up:
- All the nano files are locked, which makes coping and moving them problematic. Any reason why they can't be unlocked?
- The nano and the Nexto NVS2500 create several files and folders that bury the actual .mov files way down in the file structure. Any reason why these can't simply be eliminated?

Thanks!
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Major Player

What platform? Mac or PC? The locked file can be unlocked by setting permissions/ ownership on the folder in either. That should help move them around more easily.

As long as the clips have different names you could drag them into your media drive say, by date and them import into NLE.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mac, FCP7.0.2

Found a little program called FileXamine that does the "unlock" trick as a batch very nicely. The question is if all those extras files that get included with the nano/Nexto file structure... like "}STT{" with the nano... and "SETUP000.NVS" with the Nexto... have any real purpose? I'm guessing they don't mean a thing but I hate guessing with production files.

BTW, the tally worked great! Thanks!
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Automator can help

Hello Bob,
Locking the files is a great idea and works just as supposed to, but, as you founded it could be annoying...
If you are adding an extra info (rename the files) to all of your NF QT/MXF/MPG files for the purpose of your editing/storing work-flow, I would suggest to you "Automator" if you are on Mac OSX. It will do anything for you, of course, after you set up the work-flow first or the applications or plug-in/Script. Very simple and very powerful application fully customizable by the end user.
In your case, it will copy, rename (any way you like-keeping the original name or not is up to you), unlock, convert (using CD converter or Sony XDCAM Transfer) and many more all up to the work-flow made by you.
Here is the link for more info Automator: Explore
If you wanna see the video, please click on Introduction to Automator on the posted link.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Luben,

Thanks for the info! With roughly 1100 files to change, I was looking for a quick fix. ;-) So I went with FileXamine. I would love to learn more about Automator because you confirm what I have always heard... it is powerful if you take the time to set it up. Thanks for the link.

Be well...
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Major Player

I do not believe the "locking" of files done by the nano and XDR really provides any value. It really is more of an annoyance than any kind of safety feature.

Also, when the files are copied to the Nexto device, there is no way to unlock them on the Nexto (although they do appear locked on the Nexto). In order to unlock them, you have to copy them to your computer.

I've tried Finder, Windows Explorer and attrib and none seem to be able to unlock the files on the Nexto.

It really is annoying.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

annoying

I have to agree, it's annoying.

Dan, what's the theoretical benefit?
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Aaron,
I do not have NEXTO and can't try it with "Automator". If you are MAC user you have Automator on your system by default (I think, I could be wrong. I use it for so long can't remember if I've downloaded it) or could be downloaded, try it to unlock your files on NEXTO. I could try to help you with building your work-flow if need it of course.
Cheers
Luben
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Griffiths View Post
Hey Luben,

Thanks for the info! With roughly 1100 files to change, I was looking for a quick fix. ;-) So I went with FileXamine. I would love to learn more about Automator because you confirm what I have always heard... it is powerful if you take the time to set it up. Thanks for the link.

Be well...
Hi Bob,
I just came back from a shoot in India for two months and I had over 7 TB of material on the RAID. All done in no time when back... took a seconds with the renaming the way I wanted it...
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Major Player

If you have used UNIX in your past and need a refresher, you may wish to roll up your sleeves and do some command line kung-fu! Here's what to do...

Launch the application "Terminal" found in the Utilities folder. Navigate to the directory in question. Say your directory is called "nanoflash_files" and it is in your "Documents" directory, you would issue the following command:

cd Documents/nanoflash_files

verify you are in said directory by issuing the present working directory command:

pwd

then do a change permissions command to make all the .mov files read/writable by the user:

chmod 764 *.mov

and you are done.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Andrew, I've been a UNIX user for 20+ years and yes I do know how to unlock files from the Terminal window but it doesn't work on when trying to unlock files on the Nexto. The FAT32 filesystem flatly rejects any attempt to modify permissions on the files.

Like I said, the locked files isn't really protecting anything. It's just an annoyance.
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Major Player

Ok, I just tried a new method of unlocking the files on the Nexto. A VMWare Windows XP virtual machine running on my Mac allowed me to unlock the files with the attrib command.

This is really a super pain in backside, just to unlock the files. Like I said, an annoyance.
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I believe the original purpose of locking the files was to prevent them from being accidentally deleted.

I do most of my work on a PC, and I do not have to worry about them being locked.

Bob, you mentioned that copying and moving them is problematic.

Are you saying that you have to unlock the files just to copy them?

Or do you have to unlock them to move them?

My workflow is to just copy the files to the destination folder, in which the locking does not get in the way at all, then reformat the CompactFlash card in the nanoFlash, in which the locking does not get in the way.

I am saying all of this to determine:

1. Where is the actual problem?

2. Determine what you would like us to do.

Would you like us to remove all locking?

Would you like for locking to be a menu option?
(Please note that we do not like to add menu options unless they are necessary as each new menu option complicates the system to new users.)
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Dan,

If a file is locked on a Mac and you try to move it to another folder on the same drive, OSX will copy the file to that location. If the file is not locked then it will simply move the file.

The workflow I used today was:
- I connect one of my production drives to the edit Mac using eSATA.
- I copy the files onto my Rorke array.
- I go through each of the folders that were created by the Nexto2500 and ShotPut Pro with FileXamine and unlocked each of the nano created files.
- I then move the files into folders that break the shoot down by day. these are usually the top-level folders created by ShotPut.
- THEN I import into FCP

The reason I move the files is that I don't want them buried four layers deep in folders. If the files were unlocked from the start, this would be a very simple drag-n-drop process.

Thanks!
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Please Unlock!

"If a file is locked on a Mac and you try to move it to another folder on the same drive, OSX will copy the file to that location. If the file is not locked then it will simply move the file."

Bob: I agree, this is an annoyance, and I bet that a majority of nanoFlash owners are Mac users. (Anyone for a poll?) I spent a year with a Focus Enhancements FireStore, which was a good experience. Their files are NOT locked.

Jeff
Jeff DePonte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey