How close is hot-swapping? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:20 AM   #1
Inner Circle

How close is hot-swapping?

Dear Dan,

Now that my nanoFlash is working flawlessly with my 2x32GB PhotoFast cards, and with important jobs coming - I'm thinking about investing in a couple more CF cards.

Basing on CD's list of recommended brands (and this forum users' experience), I'm tempted with Delkin 64GB. However, it's my opinion that it's much better to use more 32GB cards, than fewer 64GB ones - PROVIDED they can be hot swapped in the nano...

Basing on the current advancement of the firmware development, when would you say we can safely assume the hot-swap capability will be implemented?

An answer to the above question is of a paramount importance to me, as - should hot-swapping be close - I'd buy the Sandisk Extreme 32GB cards. This investment would be much more affordable in my current situation than the 64GB Delkins.

Thanks, and Happy Easter to all at Convergent Design!

Piotr
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

We are very pleased with the reports from our beta testers, those testing 1.5.126.

We feel that our Second Public Beta is very solid.

But, in all honesty, it did take us some a while to reach this extremely solid release.

We have decided to slow down the pace of introducing new features a little, so we can perform more internal testing.

Our current estimate for releasing Hot Swapping is May.

I recommend the Delkin 64 GB cards. They have proven to be very reliable. Our track record with these cards is outstanding and they are generally more economical than two 32 GB cards.

These cards are available for $297.95 (US) at nanoFlash.net - Free World Wide FedEx Express Shippingwith purchase of nanoFlashOrder online or email rick@nanoflash.net, one of our premiere dealers.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Piotr,

I recommend the Delkin 64 GB cards. They have proven to be very reliable. Our track record with these cards is outstanding and they are generally more economical than two 32 GB cards.
Thanks Dan.

From the viewpoint of the bang from the buck, yes - this particular 64GB card is the most economical solution. However, my point has been that provided hot-swapping is available, using more cards of less capacity enables faster wrangling between recording and off-loading. Also, it's less risky in case a card goes bad for any reason - you simply lose less material that with a high capacity card!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Priotr,

SanDisk cards are very popular among general CompactFlash card users.

And we have many who are very happy with their SanDisk cards, as are we.

But, one of the problems is that there is a lot of counterfeit SanDisk cards out there, so be certain to purchase from a reputable dealer.

The SanDisk Extreme III card is now discountinued. The SanDisk Extreme card has replaced it.

The 32 GB SanDisk Extreme card was originally $299 each at B&H. It is now $199.95.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey