Workflow EX1 w/NanoFlash to Avid MC 4.05 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Tourist

Workflow EX1 w/NanoFlash to Avid MC 4.05

Hey everybody,
I'm a first-timer in posting to a forum, but really hoping to get answers to my problems.

I recorded on EX1 with Nanoflash on 140Mbit /i-frame (1080p/23.98) as MOV's and re-wrapped the MOV files to MXF (with FileConverter 1.4), to be able to work with them on Avid MC 4.05 (on Mac).

1st question: I cant import my MXF files to Avid. Does anybody have a solution to this?
2nd question: Does the re-wrapping from MOV to MXF include the original timecode?
3rd question: Is Avid able to import up to 140Mbit?

Very thankful for helpful solutions!
Heidi
Heidi Frankl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Heidi,

1. You should be able to import your 140 Mbps I-Frame Only MXF files into Avid.
I do not know why you can not. If the files are Long-GOP you will get an error that mentions "buffer".

What error are you getting?

Are you positive that it is I-Frame Only and that it was not recorded as Long-GOP?

If you have two nanoFlashes you can re-record the files to I-Frame Only from one nanoFlash to another.

Or, if you have the ability to capture HD-SDI in your Avid system, you could play the files out of the nanoFlash into the Avid's HD-SDI input.

I suggest that you record a short clip, in MXF, in the nanoFlash, at 140 Mbps, I-Frame Only, and try to import it into Avid.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Avid supports all of our I-Frame Only bit-rates. Avid only supports our Long-GOP bit-rates, at this time, up to and including 50 Mbps. We are waiting on Avid to change this.
Old April 6th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Tourist

Dear Dan,
thank you for your quick reply!

Yes, I am positive, we recorded in i-Frame, but as MOV (and not MXF, because at that time we didnt know we would edit in AVID not on FCP).

However, we solved the AVID problem...
...could import the nativ MOV's by letting AVID convert into MXF itself (and before install a quicktime mpeg-2 codec).
But not sure though which AVID codec (in the Media Creation mode) to use when importing/converting - there are multiple option given, i.e. DNxHD 115 mxf, DNxHD 175 mxf, DNxHD 175x mxf, and others. Any suggestions? For now it looks to us, like the convertion will let us loose some of our quality / Mbit rate.

BTW... It seemes the FileConverter re-wrapped MOV to MXF files still have some kind of codec which AVID cant work with. Any idea why?

I tested one of the imported MXF files in Avid and yes, it looked like they still have the same timecode as the native MOV's. Great news!

In general, is there a proposed workflow from your side for exact my case (1080/23,98p, i-Fame Mov-files -> Avid)?
I would be very happy to get it, or should I write a direct email to Convergent Design?
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Heidi,

Our files are recognized by Non-Linear Editors, such as Avid, Final Cut Pro and others as Sony XDCam 4:2:2 50 Mbps CBR (Constant Bit Rate) files.

If you record in Long-GOP 50 Mbps, or any bit-rate I-Frame Only, in Quicktime, ".MOV", then our File Converter will convert them to MXF files for use with Avid.

Our File Converter is a Mac based program at this time.

You may email or call me anytime.

I will attempt to send you an email.
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Tourist

Dear Dan,

as I said before, none of my re-wrapped files (mov to mxf, with fileconverter 1.4) were showing up in Avid MC 4.05, nor could Avid import them. We had to import the original mov files and letting Avid convert them by its own codec (media creation) to mxf files. This down converted their quality, which is unpleasant. But we found out, we could re-connect the edit (EDL) with the original mov's (offline/online workflow).

Best,
Heidi
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Heidi,

There is a problem here, as you should be able to use our 140 Mbps I-Frame Only files in Avid.

What version of the nanoFlash firmware are you using? This is found in System|About.

I hope Avid users and experts, such as Mark Job will comment on this issue.

If possible and convenient, I recommend that you record a short test file, in the nanoFlash at 140 Mbps, I-Frame Only, in MXF format. It should be usable in Avid without any problems.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Trustee

Don't Rewrap your .MOV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Frankl View Post
Hey everybody,
I'm a first-timer in posting to a forum, but really hoping to get answers to my problems.

I recorded on EX1 with Nanoflash on 140Mbit /i-frame (1080p/23.98) as MOV's and re-wrapped the MOV files to MXF (with FileConverter 1.4), to be able to work with them on Avid MC 4.05 (on Mac).
....No ! You don't wrap the .MOV's when using MC. MC does the MXF wrapping itself automatically when you import a file. You don't have to do it manually.

Quote:
question: I cant import my MXF files to Avid. Does anybody have a solution to this?
.....That's because your 3rd party program is probably modifying the video file's header in a manner which MC probably does not recognize. The solution is to import your .MOV video clips directly.

Quote:
question: Does the re-wrapping from MOV to MXF include the original timecode?
3rd question: Is Avid able to import up to 140Mbit?

Very thankful for helpful solutions!
Heidi
....Yes. Avid can import 140 Mbps I-Frame but not Long GOP. You *can import Long GOP MXF 50 Mbps, but nothing higher in data rate than this. In I-Frame you should be able to go all the way up to 280 Mbps.
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey